Mum’s plea after ‘big-hearted’ son, 29, who rescues Thai dogs, struck with brain tumour and needs £15,000 to fly home

snoop1130

2 hours ago, car720 said:

This is where I get bamboozled.  I also have had stomach infections several times in Thailand but have never had to stay in hospital.  I went to the hospital and paid some very small amount, less than 100 baht plus the cost of antibiotics at a pharmacy and that was it but many others here have commented about the millions they have paid.  I just don't see how.  Sorry.

I can not help but wonder how you pay less than 100 for doctor fee when doctor fees are 600 up, even nursing charge is around 200

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hobobo said:

Insurance is not an "American thing", but you are right that if a UK national gets sick in the UK he is automatically covered by the NHS. Same I believe for Australians in Australia, Germans in Germany etc. But an Englishman is not treated for free anywhere in the world unless he has travel insurance (for tourists) or health insurance (for expats) for the country where he/she resides. The exception is the EU where all countries have bilateral cover. After Brexit the English would also have to pay within EU unless they take out insurance. My Aetna (former Bupa in Thailand) insurance covers me for all countries except the US. It is not really cheap, but for the equivalent of just over 3 beers a day I have full cover worldwide - when I present it like this people usually agree that it's worth it for the peace of mind alone! :clap2:

I'm glad that you've had good innings so far, and I hope you live to a venerable old age!

Actually you’re wrong, there are reciprocal agreements between some country’s, like the England and Australia.

8 hours ago, smedly said:

better still someone come from the UK and take him home, so he is in a wheelchair and can't talk, how does that stop him from flying

Try that with Emirates, when I was recovering from Guillain- Barre Syndrome the only way they would let me fly was if I could walk from the entrance door to my seat

There was no problem in any of the airports KL, Dubai or Heathrow wheel chair or electric buggy all the way, last off and last on though 5555555

On 9/28/2018 at 8:12 PM, Just Weird said:

Which an insurer would be well within it's rights to do as pre-existing conditions are excluded when the policy is taken out.  "Trying to get out of paying" is not the appropriate description. 

If an insurer had to use that clause in a policy it would only be because the insured was trying to claim for something that he was not covered for, in other words he was trying to get something that he was not entitled to and he had not paid the premium for.

A few years ago, I had to have a root canal and crown treatment and claimed on my travel insurance. They paid up but 2 years later, I had to have a crown replaced and the Insurers wouldn't pay out "because I had made a similar claim previously". So nobody has dental problems more than once?

10 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

That's what Bangkok hospital on koh samui charges, transfer him to government hospital in Nathon and cut the cost to a fraction. 

I suppose it would be a bit much for HMG to issue a earning to travellers to avoid the scamming Bkh anywere.. it's an ongoing joke in Thailand...you see a bh ambulance miles out of area racing along..

Another rip off...and they are actually not that good.

6 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

I don't think (from the way I read it,) that he knew he was suffering with cancer until he woke up paralysed.  As a young person he could have presumably got health insurance before this event but now, certainly, no company will touch him. 

I'm referring to his previous bout of skin cancer which appears to have been treated some 2 to 5 years ago depending on where you read about it.

Once you've been treated for cancer unless you have the same private insurance you had before the illness and keep paying it forever then you're out of luck as it becomes a previous condition.

That's why getting a proper insurance to live abroad would be either very expensive or almost impossible in this case.

There's been some mention of this in the UK press over the last few years, people who've been successfully treated for one form of cancer are forever tainted, even when it comes to regular 2 week holiday insurance. Nobody wants to insure them.

6 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Most Travel Insurance policies that I have examined only cover for a maximum of 31 days in any one trip. 

You dont buy off the peg you buy exactly want you want, at one time in my life I had Travel insurance coverage for many months at a time

Applicable world wide apart from the USA, I could never work out why 55555555

It came in handy just the once and it cost Norwich Union an absolute packet

11 hours ago, car720 said:

someone please enlighten me as to what insurance everyone is talking about?  Not Travel Insurance, that's for sure.  Does anyone seriously believe that a Thai insurance company would pay up?

No chance waste of time trying

45 minutes ago, sambum said:

A few years ago, I had to have a root canal and crown treatment and claimed on my travel insurance. They paid up but 2 years later, I had to have a crown replaced and the Insurers wouldn't pay out "because I had made a similar claim previously". So nobody has dental problems more than once?

I don't blame them odd those things happen to you only when you are traveling....

2 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

You are correct,  When I travel by plane, which is often, I always book wheelchair assistance as I experience difficulty with walking, especially the distances that are often encountered at airports.  It actually works in my favour because I usually circumvent the long lines at Immigration.

'nuf sed

This poor chap "CANNOT" walk that's a little more than experiencing difficulty in walking

The airline does not provide personal care now does it, so how would that bridge be crossed

I will tell you, you don't cross that bridge because you wont be allowed to fly on a schedule flight

1 hour ago, BradWilkins said:

Wow I put a post detailing and questioning the diagnosis made by a doctor 10 years ago at Koh Samui hospital, with not finding I had 4 broken ribs, and it got deleted. Very surprising.

What having your post removed or encountering a Muppet masquerading as a Doctor

£600 a day, that's about 25,000 THB, boy he's really getting reamed. I've heard about some of these hospitals in tourist hubs that are just shafting the daylights out of foreigners. 

A couple years ago I was in Nong Khai and got chest pains, went to the gov hospital there, as soon as I told them my symptoms I was immediately signed in and put in a wheel chair and taken for an EKG, then an inspection with a doctor, turns out it was not heart related but muscle cramps, I was given some meds for that, spent about 3 hours total in the hospital and paid my bill of 350Bt and went back to my hotel. 

I will never understand some people in here who seem to be heartless toward other people and always offering some smart arse unnecessary comment to unfortunate human beings who fall ill and face difficulties because of it. I hope the day never comes when they find themselves hurt, sick or dead and get served up a heaping mouth full of karma. There is no such thing as cheap insurance that would have covered the cost of this guys medical bills. And if you have a precondition you can forget it! 

10 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

that said, I doubt if he was Thai he would be facing the same bill...the gov has a tendency to treat him at first rate cost w/o regard to payment just based on him being a Falang.

If he were a Thai without the money to pay, he wouldn't be receiving treatment in a private hospital at all, he wouldn't be likely to raise £20,000 through crowd funding nor would he be looking to raise £100,000 for medical evacuation.

If he were an uninsured Thai in farangland he would not be able to access the same level of medical treatment as farang citizens of those countries.

And given the number of farang who are treated in Thailand without the means to pay even a fraction of the cost, that means all of us who do pay out bills and/or have insured ourselves have to deal with rising medical costs. Hospitals don't have magic money machines that spit out money to cover indigents.

2 hours ago, oyster said:

I suppose it would be a bit much for HMG to issue a earning to travellers to avoid the scamming Bkh anywere.. it's an ongoing joke in Thailand...you see a bh ambulance miles out of area racing along..

Another rip off...and they are actually not that good.

I have been in hospital 3 times in Thailand. I Got excellent , compassionate treatment. Brilliant! 

Silly paranoid comments about ripp off bangkok are immature.

13 hours ago, car720 said:

someone please enlighten me as to what insurance everyone is talking about?  Not Travel Insurance, that's for sure.  Does anyone seriously believe that a Thai insurance company would pay up?

No insurance will pay up if they can find a way out of it. Lets be honest here.

Why do Insurance companies, restaurants, and hotel booking offices always 

use small print? Because they hope no one will notice it.

1 hour ago, The manic said:

I have been in hospital 3 times in Thailand. I Got excellent , compassionate treatment. Brilliant! 

Silly paranoid comments about ripp off bangkok are immature.

First I hope the young guy gets treatment needed and gets better. 

Had a Germán friend in China always looked like he was getting along good played sports etc. He was 67. Had a stroke and month later gone. Leaving behind his wife and 5 year old son. 

I’ve been many times to BKH in Udon Thani for heart issues for the last 25 years. They do a really good job looking after you.

The Dr. asked if I had insurance because they wanted me to stay in the hospital a couple to lower the fluid in my body because heart can’t manage it properly at the high levels. 

I told him no that I’m now uninsurable has 4 heart attacks. First at 39 years old quadruple bi-pass luckily I had insurance the bill was 

$140,000 USD. 

I don’t think BKH is overly expense. I had a visit to emergency care 

at hospital in California. They did the basic test should I had a slight heartache was there about 1-1/2 hours, No medicine wanted me to be put in hospital to.d the no, $8000.00 for that visit.

Any how I manage a d try to take care of myself.

4 hours ago, Media1 said:

No chance waste of time trying

Why some people insist on posting nonsense and batstool myths.

i lived in Thailand and had travel insurance as I already explained .

Had a shoulder surgery and physio for 3 months , all paid by insurance, total around 480000 baht.

All I had to do was to submit claim over email. With doctors report and recommendation 

7 hours ago, ttrd said:

....and face accommodation similar to 1 star hostel including tempered tap water and a cup of rice twice a day - yes its cheaper in every sense including the quality of the healthcare personnel.....:shock1:

So better stay in luxury and let others pay on GoFundMe. 

Actually the private rooms in Nathon hospital are superior to Bangkok hospital and only costs 1.600 per night, and you get Seaview, fridge, cableTV. 

Have you actually stayed there? 

6 hours ago, sambum said:

Clause in the policy?  Did you read the policy conditions?

19 hours ago, car720 said:

If you buy the best you get the best bupa AIA there is many more out there But if you have no insurance then you are one pathetic fool to be in Thailand with your insurance is writing your own death warrant   I have no sympathy for people that don’t have insurance Is not millions to pay for I have a friend that lives in Thailand has insurance and hasn’t cost him the earth 

15 hours ago, hobobo said:

the equivalent of just over 3 beers a day

herein lies the great divide.  So many folks who have money believe it is little but ask how many can afford 3 beers a day, every day.  Usually the wife wouldn't allow it to start with.

1 minute ago, car720 said:

herein lies the great divide.  So many folks who have money believe it is little but ask how many can afford 3 beers a day, every day.  Usually the wife wouldn't allow it to start with.

Sounds like weak male syndrome to me...

This is another example why medical insurance should be mandatory before applying for a long stay visa, or simply just a tourist visa, at the request by the embassies. Besides, the hospital bill is a rip-off and it's a serious business in Thailand. Let alone over 26,000 deaths and thousands of injuries just on the roads of thailand makes this cartel a thriving sector. Man I hope this guy get's the help he needs.

Archived