Why Is Farang Food So Boring And Tasteless

Donz

Man farang food in my mind is boring and tasteless, i used to eat it all the tiime and now been living with my Thai gf for about 5 years i been on Thai food all the time.

I mean Italian is great, the pasta's etc are beautiful but german food etc its just rubbish. Feels like im eating a bit of rubber with salt and pepper in it.

English food is lucky to be even graded higher then dog food, the stuff is just tasteless. I will give you sheppards pie though, that is pretty nice.

Australia veggimite sangas are even more tastey then most of western food. Western food to me is just food either fried or boiled adding nothing to it and eating things plain.

Or maybe my gf has cooked me such spicey food that my taste buds have burnt orr and i just cant taste properly anymore

:D You haven't been to Europe yet, obviously.

Take a tour with the famous Michelin guide in your hand and start with the 1* star restaurants.... :o

Than come back and tell us your adventures. If you're still able to walk that is :D

LaoPo

Learn to cook :D

And Thai food is basically food left in the deep fryer until there is nothing left, then chillied back to life ... :o

Wow, finally agree on something with you, Phil. :D

Green curry, red curry, yellow curry, massman curry...in my view, most Thai food is anything with alot of chilli in it. A pity the Portuguese introduced chilli to Thailand. Noodle soup and bbq stuff are good. Flavourful not chilli doused food.

Man farang food in my mind is boring and tasteless, i used to eat it all the tiime and now been living with my Thai gf for about 5 years i been on Thai food all the time.

I mean Italian is great, the pasta's etc are beautiful but german food etc its just rubbish. Feels like im eating a bit of rubber with salt and pepper in it.

English food is lucky to be even graded higher then dog food, the stuff is just tasteless. I will give you sheppards pie though, that is pretty nice.

Australia veggimite sangas are even more tastey then most of western food. Western food to me is just food either fried or boiled adding nothing to it and eating things plain.

Or maybe my gf has cooked me such spicey food that my taste buds have burnt orr and i just cant taste properly anymore

Especially when you include a nice Whitchetty Grub just to give it that authentic Australian taste.. :o

I agree pretty well with all of you so far but only in parts. Farang food you get in Thailand is for the most part, and putting as much positive spin on it as I can, utter <deleted>. :D So I'm with Donz so far.

Never been to Oz so I won't comment, but if you form your opinions on English food based on what you see/eat in Thailand you are way wide of the mark. Even if you base your opinions on what you have eaten in the majority of English restaurants and pubs in England you have been misled. I agree that for the most part English food is crap but that's only because the people who cook it are increasingly from the frozen food microwaved fraternity. If you find somewhere that uses fresh ingredients and cooks them correctly English food is as good as any. Unfortunately those places are fast being reduced to that establishment we call home and you can't turn out that quality of scran cheap. And that's what people want is cheap stuff, I won't call it food, turned out quickly. How often do you hear people praising quality over cheapness?

Thai food is not all overcooked deep fried chilli saturated scraps as some people believe. There is a tremendous variety in food types from the plain right up to the tongue searingly hot :D . It's just a matter of knowing what you like and ordering those dishes and you can always ask for it mai phet, most restaurants can cope with that. That's where Thai food scores over western. Because the majority of it is cooked to order they can tailor it to suit any special requirements.

The funny thing is, as much as I love Thai food, in the years I lived in LOS there were always the odd days when my guts just demanded some good ole western style stodge and nothing else would do. So I'd go an order a large plate of rib separating 1:2:4 mix and after about three forkfulls I'd remember why I don't eat that crap. :D

Oh well, each to his own I say and to those who lashed out a million Baht++ on their super srandown it still comes out as sh1t the next day don't it? :o

If you cannot eat (or if you just don't like) Thai food, then Western food tastes better. Agreed, mashed potatoes aren't very tasty, but then neither is plain steamed rice. And you can eat gravy on your mash. I like my hot dogs made from something besides imitation bologna; you can add what you wish to make a hot dog spicy. "Western" or farang food includes Tex-Mex :o and pizza and borscht and stew and roast beef and roast turkey and fondue and quiche, and pecan pie and German chocolate cake and ......popcorn!!

I eat both Thai and Western food, as does my husband.

And yes, I can eat a high spicy level, pretty much the same as a Thai person. But I have not found that it has destroyed my ability to eat non-spicy food. Everything has its own unique taste so rather than try to compare apples to oranges I just think to myself "I feel like having an apple today" :o

Man farang food in my mind is boring and tasteless..........

Most things in YOUR mind are boring and tasteless. :D

When was the last time you tucked into a thick, juicy, tender Aussie steak, with a green salad on the side and a handful of hot chips?

....and how about some king sized, tasty Aussie prawns, or maybe a fair dinkum lobster eaten with calamari rings, crispy crust bread and some tartare sauce...

..or if you're into roast dinners, a fat leg of Aussie lamb with a rich gravy, accompanied by some crispy potatoes, baked pumpkin, sweet potato, baked onions and green peas...

....followed up by a huge serving of passionfruit pavlova, served with thick cream....

....all washed down with a fine wine, or if you're a typical Bloke, some icy cold beer.

Get your Thai girlfriend to cook some decent Aussie meals for you to earn her keep. :o

When was the last time you tucked into a thick, juicy, tender Aussie steak, with a green salad on the side and a handful of hot chips?

....and how about some king sized, tasty Aussie prawns, or maybe a fair dinkum lobster eaten with calamari rings, crispy crust bread and some tartare sauce...

..or if you're into roast dinners, a fat leg of Aussie lamb with a rich gravy, accompanied by some crispy potatoes, baked pumpkin, sweet potato, baked onions and green peas...

....followed up by a huge serving of passionfruit pavlova, served with thick cream....

....all washed down with a fine wine, or if you're a typical Bloke, some icy cold beer.

STOP!!! STOP!!! STOP!!!!!!

You're making me hungry :o

Change restaurants...

a condemned man in a Tom Hanks movie when asked about his preference fer a last meal inna louisiana prison: 'meat loaf wid mashed potatoes an' gravy...an' sum mighty fine corn bread' I screamed with gastronomic desire when I saw that on tv in the Middle East. next day got all the ingredients (including corn meal) and whipped it up meself.

now, if we could only find a substitution fer corn meal in Thailand...plenty ob corn flour but what's dat good fer? :o

Edited by tutsiwarrior

a condemned man in a Tom Hanks movie when asked about his preference fer a last meal: 'meat loaf wid mashed potatoes an' gravy...an' sum mighty fine corn bread' I screamed with gastronomic desire when I saw that on tv in the Middle East. next day got all the ingredients (including corn meal) and whipped it up meself.

now, if we could only find a substitution fer corn meal in Thailand...plenty ob corn flour but what's dat good fer? :o

Find a place that sells proper cornbread! We have at least one here in Chiang Mai, at the He11's Kitchen BBQ, loaded with jalapeno peppers, then you heat it and slip the hot butter on it and yummmmmm.

a condemned man in a Tom Hanks movie when asked about his preference fer a last meal: 'meat loaf wid mashed potatoes an' gravy...an' sum mighty fine corn bread' I screamed with gastronomic desire when I saw that on tv in the Middle East. next day got all the ingredients (including corn meal) and whipped it up meself.

Find a place that sells proper cornbread! We have at least one here in Chiang Mai, at the He11's Kitchen BBQ, loaded with jalapeno peppers, then you heat it and slip the hot butter on it and yummmmmm.

oh..PB, here in rural thailand I haveta grind up the shoeleather beef fer de meatloaf (ground up saltine crackers fer de filling/binder, no bread crumbs)...can't find potatoes that aren't green and sprouting an' sumtimes not even fresh milk fer de mash. Strange that in a little place like Bahrain (500k pop) ye can walk to the local super an' find everything ye need...preparation time less than 1 hr depending on de size ob de meatloaf. In thailand wid grinding de beef and trimming de shitty bits offa de tatties approx 3 hrs...sure to gotta like dat meatloaf and mash alot to exhibit such dedication... :D

they also had bisto instant gravy in Bahrain AT DE LOCAL SUPER...try findin' dat around dese parts...never had no gravy in thailand...just mash wid butter an' milk

I eat mostly Thai food and have done so since I moved here. Even before I moved here I would cook mostly Asian-inspired food back home.

Never thought I would tire of it, but these days I actually find myself craving and really appreciating a 'Western meal' every now and then - it is still only on some days though.

Swedish food in general is designed for people working hard in a pretty cold environment. It works well for that purpose, but if you're not doing manual labour it makes you fat.

oh..PB, here in rural thailand I haveta grind up the shoeleather beef fer de meatloaf (ground up saltine crackers fer de filling/binder, no bread crumbs)...can't find potatoes that aren't green and sprouting an' sumtimes not even fresh milk fer de mash. Strange that in a little place like Bahrain (500k pop) ye can walk to the local super an' find everything ye need...preparation time less than 1 hr depending on de size ob de meatloaf. In thailand wid grinding de beef and trimming de shitty bits offa de tatties approx 3 hrs...sure to gotta like dat meatloaf and mash alot to exhibit such dedication... :D

they also had bisto instant gravy in Bahrain AT DE LOCAL SUPER...try findin' dat around dese parts...never had no gravy in thailand...just mash wid butter an' milk

That's what you get for choosing to live in Nakhon Nowhere. Here in Pattaya you can get any of those thing any day in any of the many supermarkets. Including the gravy mix if you don't know how to make it yourself :D

Never really sure what you Americans call gravy. In civilized countries it's a sauce made by thickening the juices of cooked meat with a roux, flour browned in butter or drippings then used to thicken the watered down pan juices, various condiments added as desired. I was polite enough to ignore an earlier thread describing biscuits with gravy as a desirable breakfast dish. What kind of biscuits? Ginger snaps? Arnotts Yoyo? Anzac?

<deleted> is redeye gravy anyway?

That's what you get for choosing to live in Nakhon Nowhere. Here in Pattaya you can get any of those thing any day in any of the many supermarkets. Including the gravy mix if you don't know how to make it yourself :D

That's what you get for choosing to live in Nakhon Nowhere.

I just don't get a farang living in the middle of nowhere. :D

wasn't there a poll to survey where TV members lived?...the result being that most of us falangs living in thailand with our wives and their families end up in Nakhon nowhere...presumably, using the same criterion, youse guys live wid yer wives an' their families in BKK/Pattaya/Phuket, etc...

lighten up dudes...NN (nakhon nowhere) has a lot to offer that the fleshpots ain't got...I feel like a real pioneer...

tutsi is frantic: 'darlin'...run down to tescos an' get vodka, nestles orange juice an' the best substitute ingredients ye kin find fer de meat loaf an' bring back de cavalry wid ye...I'll hold dem localyokel - falang!, <deleted> you! - punks off at de pass...quick, before we're surrounded...'

just like outta a John Ford movie...

:D

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Let's get to the biscuits later; it's a southern US thing....

Gravy is as you've described it, generally. Brown gravy from the meat drippings, plus wheat flour and water, etc. Makes mashed potatoes, meat, etc., more delicious.

In America, biscuits are not crackers or wafers; they're .....go read the thread; maybe you'd call them muffins. In the southern USA, they are sometimes served with a white flour 'gravy' but northerners don't eat that for breakfast.

In a $11 buffet in the south, there would be canisters of both white and brown gravy in the areas where you serve yourself mashed potatoes (which you Brits might call creamed, since they're seldom chunky), and for the meat and poultry, as well. For $11 in Texas :o, you'd get unlimited iced tea, soft drinks, 9 meats, 9 cakes (birthday cake types), 7 pies (including pecan), 13 vegetables, 7 breads, maybe pizza and prawns (except they'd be salt water shrimp, huge), fried rice, steamed rice, baked chicken, fried chicken.

Some of the best gravy comes with roast turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas, made with giblets (organ meats of the turkey). Be careful not to mix the gravy on your plate with the cranberry sauce or the Jello or the hot cornbread with butter, or.....

Some of the best gravy comes with roast turkey at Thanksgiving and Christmas, made with giblets (organ meats of the turkey). Be careful not to mix the gravy on your plate with the cranberry sauce or the Jello or the hot cornbread with butter, or.....

I'd rather die than eat anything that had giblet gravy touch my cranberry sauce or asparagus pie...

on de other hand, the brits put bisto gravy on their brussels sprouts for Sunday lunch which ain't half bad...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Gravy is as you've described it, generally. Brown gravy from the meat drippings, plus wheat flour and water, etc. Makes mashed potatoes, meat, etc., more delicious.

In America, biscuits are not crackers or wafers; they're .....go read the thread; maybe you'd call them muffins. In the southern USA, they are sometimes served with a white flour 'gravy' but northerners don't eat that for breakfast.

In a $11 buffet in the south, there would be canisters of both white and brown gravy in the areas where you serve yourself mashed potatoes (which you Brits might call creamed, since they're seldom chunky), and for the meat and poultry, as well. For $11 in Texas :o, you'd get unlimited iced tea, soft drinks, 9 meats, 9 cakes (birthday cake types), 7 pies (including pecan), 13 vegetables, 7 breads, maybe pizza and prawns (except they'd be salt water shrimp, huge), fried rice, steamed rice, baked chicken, fried chicken.

And that's the breakfast buffet? No wonder you guys (on average) are the most overweight nation on earth :D

In a $11 buffet in the south, there would be canisters of both white and brown gravy in the areas where you serve yourself mashed potatoes (which you Brits might call creamed, since they're seldom chunky), and for the meat and poultry, as well. For $11 in Texas :o , you'd get unlimited iced tea, soft drinks, 9 meats, 9 cakes (birthday cake types), 7 pies (including pecan), 13 vegetables, 7 breads, maybe pizza and prawns (except they'd be salt water shrimp, huge), fried rice, steamed rice, baked chicken, fried chicken.

And that's the breakfast buffet? No wonder you guys (on average) are the most overweight nation on earth :D

I believe that you confuse the US $11 buffet with a 'breakfast buffet' which I have never seen. US breakfasts are like UK fry ups, ie. eggs, ham, sausage or bacon, toast and coffee...no beans, fried mushrooms or tomatoes but wid hash brown potatoes (yum). They are usually served up in diner type places like in the first scene of Pulp Fiction with the inclusion of omellettes on the menu... 'first thing he knows he's eatin' a denver omellette then a guy is holdin' a gun to his head...' spoken by english hoodlum Tim Roth...very observant of the local cuisine by an english hoodlum...

biscuits an' gravy are a texas/SE US breakfast variation sometimes with grits (hominy)...blueberry pancakes wid maple syrup also featured in Pulp Fiction as well as Jules' famous, health conscious bran muffin (he don't dig on pig)...

also lots of mexican restaurants in the SW are early opening and offer eggs with chorizo, huevos rancheros both wid rice and beans an' a stack ob fresh, warm CORN TORTILLAS, greasy tripe soup (menudo, said to be the world's best hangover cure) an', etc, etc...

all served ala carte...who needs a breakfast buffet?

Edited by tutsiwarrior

tutsi knows his southwest US food. I once encountered a German mechanic from Chicago, cleaning bugs out of the intake of his Porsche, in the middle of the King Ranch (on the highway), cursing. "Dose dumb Texans! Dey eat beefsteak at 7 o'clock in the morning, with eggs and sausage!!"

Chorizo is my favorite Mexican sausage, diced and fried and mixed with scrambled eggs in the frypan, wrapped in a tortilla (which in this case could be flour). Que rico!

The buffet that I described is either lunch or dinner, and it does, in fact explain how Houston wrested the title of "Fattest City in America" from Philadelphia, which got the award for eating steak sandwiches with cream cheese.