Why Is Farang Food So Boring And Tasteless

Donz

Grits are plural (I guess each one is a grain) and they're also called hominy. I never did that; it's not popular in Texas :o at least among White folks. Maybe Alabama, Mississippi eats grits.

Menudo soup I only tried once. Hot intestines on Sunday morning (a hangover cure, they said). Ughhh!

Never really sure what you Americans call gravy. In civilized countries it's a sauce made by thickening the juices of cooked meat with a roux, flour browned in butter or drippings then used to thicken the watered down pan juices, various condiments added as desired. I was polite enough to ignore an earlier thread describing biscuits with gravy as a desirable breakfast dish. What kind of biscuits? Ginger snaps? Arnotts Yoyo? Anzac?

<deleted> is redeye gravy anyway?

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs! Somebody else out there knows how to make gravy. :D

Real gravy is not a mixture of Oxo/Bisto granules and water, that just turns out the sludge served up by many western food joints in Thailand and Pattaya particularly. :D

But this goes back to what I said earlier, the best cooking is home cooking. :o

Grits are plural (I guess each one is a grain) and they're also called hominy. I never did that; it's not popular in Texas :o at least among White folks. Maybe Alabama, Mississippi eats grits.

Menudo soup I only tried once. Hot intestines on Sunday morning (a hangover cure, they said). Ughhh!

I tried pork entrail soup in Lao once PB, it was one of the vilest things I've ever eaten.

Just joking (troll!!!!) about the grits, I did a google on it after reading "The Great Santini" by Pat Conroy, the great Southern scribe and proponent of Southern cooking. The title character, from Chicago, refuses to eat grits to the dismay of his Carolina born wife.

Donz

1: Go to Pie Shop.

2: Buy Pie. Meat Flavour.

3: Pick up squeezee bottle of tomato ketchup.

4: Insert pointy end through crust of Pie.

5: Squeeze.

6: Eat Pie

:D Oh, it is verboten to let the ketchup nozzle touch the pie. Health and Sanitation regulation 234.5c

You ain't lived unless you've stabbed a meat pie. The equipment's designed for it. :o

Pies are good, i eat them for breakfast because the fiance is too lazy to get out of bed at the time i wake up. If i have no pies then a veggiemite sanga will do.

Still better then more of that english crap. Those english muffins are so woosy that I wouldnt feed them to a mouse

in Turkey there is a popular sheep tripe soup wid other ingredients that gives the soup a milky appearance...usually served at lunch time as a starter...real nice wid fresh crispy bread until ye get down to de tripe bits. A geordie dining companion was chowing down enjoying every bite then asked what is this stuff anyway? I said tripe soup...he went like :o and quickly left the table :D

Pies are good, i eat them for breakfast because the fiance is too lazy to get out of bed at the time i wake up. If i have no pies then a veggiemite sanga will do.

Still better then more of that english crap. Those english muffins are so woosy that I wouldnt feed them to a mouse

donz, english muffins are an american invention...in the UK they have something similar but they are called crumpets and should be distinguished from the long legged, nice arsed variety... :o

Be very careful what you feed me. :o

Just a few useless facts about Aussie meat pies:

The Australian food standard for meat pies is that they must contain at least 25% of meat.

The definition of meat, though, includes parts of the animal many people might not normally eat, such as:

* snouts

* ears

* tongue roots

* tendons and

* blood vessels.

For some reason only offal (such as brain, heart, kidney, liver, tongue, tripe) must be specified on the label.

The definition also includes body parts from animals you might not expect to be eating:

* buffalo

* camel

* deer

* goat

* hare

* rabbit.

Source: Choice magazine.

Be very careful what you feed me. :o

Just a few useless facts about Aussie meat pies:

The Australian food standard for meat pies is that they must contain at least 25% of meat.

The definition of meat, though, includes parts of the animal many people might not normally eat, such as:

* snouts

* ears

* tongue roots

* tendons and

* blood vessels.

For some reason only offal (such as brain, heart, kidney, liver, tongue, tripe) must be specified on the label.

The definition also includes body parts from animals you might not expect to be eating:

* buffalo

* camel

* deer

* goat

* hare

* rabbit.

Source: Choice magazine.

Too much information.

well, you know...it is well known that whatever is swept up from the floor of an abbatoir is thrown into a grinder and then you have weenies, bologna, etc...kids love the stuff...

dese little 'meat balls' that you find in yer kwieteo locally have me suspect the same...at least in Thailand they make no attempt to disguise the smell... :o

Donz

1: Go to Pie Shop. And grow up.

2: Buy Pie. Meat Flavour. And grow up.

3: Pick up squeezee bottle of tomato ketchup. And grow up.

4: Insert pointy end through crust of Pie. And grow up.

5: Squeeze. And grow up.

6: Eat Pie. And grow up.

...........and, well, you know....!

redrus

A pity the Portuguese introduced chilli to Thailand.

Are you sure about that? I always thought the chili was introduced to Thailand by India.

now, if we could only find a substitution fer corn meal in Thailand...plenty ob corn flour but what's dat good fer? :o

I guess I could send a big box full of corn meal over to you in a care package. For the right price of course. :D

Are you sure about that? I always thought the chili was introduced to Thailand by India.

the portugese introduced chile to India (lots of indian folks named Fernandes) who then brought it to Thailand...

now, if we could only find a substitution fer corn meal in Thailand...plenty ob corn flour but what's dat good fer? :o

I guess I could send a big box full of corn meal over to you in a care package. For the right price of course. :D

thou mercenary swine...

Pretty sure. Just like all the jellies and many other sweets -- Portuguese origins. I will recheck my facts, but researched this a few years back...

the portugese introduced chile to India (lots of indian folks named Fernandes) who then brought it to Thailand...

thou mercenary swine...

What's the matter Tuts? You don't appreciate my offer? :D

I'll send you over a box of corn meal and corn tortillas and I'll only make you pay whatever it cost me to buy them and ship them. No extra money. How's that? :D

thou mercenary swine...

What's the matter Tuts? You don't appreciate my offer? :D

I'll send you over a box of corn meal and corn tortillas and I'll only make you pay whatever it cost me to buy them and ship them. No extra money. How's that? :D

sounds good but let's wait a bit...been talkin' to sumone about a job an' may be back in de land ob hoummous and baba ganoush real quik...

Learn to cook :D

And Thai food is basically food left in the deep fryer until there is nothing left, then chillied back to life ... :o

Quite right Phil, I dont get any farang food here in north Issan, the closest i get is going to Tesco Lotus in Udon once a fortnight, then its only minced beef and some steaks i have to soak in milk for 24 hours to make them tender, My wife is a brilliant cook, and can make a mean spaghetti bolagnese amongst all the local thai dishes, The thai dishes are ok, but why do they need 3/4/5 different spice side-dishes with them?? Thai food is the same flavour all the way through, you have to add spices/chillies ect to make it more interesting!! Back in UK, used to go to mums every sunday for dinner, roast rib of beef with yorkshires, sliced carrotts, roast potatoes,brussell sprouts,roast artichokes,new potatoes,cauliflower and small peas,a gravy boat made only from the meat juices and vegtable stock,there would be a jar of horseradish and colemans mustard and fresh ground black pepper if needed,

My point is that everything on the plate has its own individual flavour and dosent need things that make your eyebrows drip and grab for coldwater/beer, what do you reckon?

Alex,

miscontrued...an english Sunday lunch tastes good 'cause it's served up by yer mum onna cold day in northern england after a couple ob pints down de pub...

in isaan I'd prefer a bathtub fulla tepid water, a fan and a big cigar...then maybe a tuna sammich...

(sure would like sum brussel sprouts wid gravy...)

miscontrued...an english Sunday lunch tastes good 'cause it's served up by yer mum onna cold day in northern england after a couple ob pints down de pub...

in isaan I'd prefer a bathtub fulla tepid water, a fan and a big cigar...then maybe a tuna sammich...

How are ya Tutsi ?

One day I will have to invite you over to Kalasin for a Pie mash and liquor...

:o

How are ya Tutsi ?

One day I will have to invite you over to Kalasin for a Pie mash and liquor...

:o

saaaay, dude....pie, mash an' liqour sounds grand...if I head up by Savannakhet way fer a new visa I'll give ye a bell...

Never really sure what you Americans call gravy. In civilized countries it's a sauce made by thickening the juices of cooked meat with a roux, flour browned in butter or drippings then used to thicken the watered down pan juices, various condiments added as desired. I was polite enough to ignore an earlier thread describing biscuits with gravy as a desirable breakfast dish. What kind of biscuits? Ginger snaps? Arnotts Yoyo? Anzac?

<deleted> is redeye gravy anyway?

Real gravy is as you describe, and how it is typically made. Milk gravy is for when you don't have any pan drippings to work with. Sausage gravy is a variant of milk gravy; sausage lets out a lot of fat when cooked, but next to no real drippings. So you can't make "real" gravy with it.

Redeye gravy is a thin gravy made from ham drippings.

And what you call biscuits we call cookies. What we call a biscuit has no real counterpart, but I believe that a scone which is not sweetened at all would be closest. A biscuit is a quick baking powder based bread, rolled out to half an inch high and cut in rounds 2 to 3 inches across (okay, 5 to 7 centimeters, then!) that will triple in height when cooked. It is very light, flaky, and tender, though, unlike the denser scone.