Foreign tourist assaulted by security guard after being denied entry at Don Mueang

Jonathan Fairfield

26 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

I think conflict management training would be a lost cause here..

Maybe, but i think airports , railway stations and the such, need very well trained guards to manage every potentially dangerous situation, and they should invest a proper amount of money on that.

If they are willing to invest on security, they can train a number of guards to do a proper job.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Maybe, but i think airports , railway stations and the such, need very well trained guards to manage every potentially dangerous situation, and they should invest a proper amount of money on that.

If they are willing to invest on security, they can train a number of guards to do a proper job.

Thailand doesn't "invest" much in security guards

That's why you often see them sleeping 

2 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

But, after this incident, which i guess will get some coverage on Chinese media, they could have to address the issue.

First of all it is strange that the video starts at the point where the part that led to the confrontation seems to be left out.

Apparently he had neither the 20.000 baht required that immigration could ask for to see, no onward travel document nor prove of any accommodation.

The Chinese man was denied entry and the moment he tried to leave the holding area without permission he broke the law.

If the Chinese guy would have done what he did - at an American airport for example after being denied entry - he would have very likely been tasered, dragged away in handcuffs and thrown into a prison cell!

You don’t start shouting and screaming and slapping somebody in uniform at an airport when you are in the wrong and do not fulfill the requirements to be granted entry into that country.

The worst part is of course what happened in the aftermath with the government and PM getting involved blaming - not the Chinese - but the people who did their job!

Security guards will from now on think twice to carry out their jobs for fear of loosing it.

All because of some screaming Chinese idiot who did not read the guide book that screaming and shouting at people in Thailand makes them loose face and does not get you anywhere except maybe getting punched or kicked in your own face.

If of course it is true that they tried to get a bribe of him it is a totally different story. But then the Chinese guy should have been really smart and secretly film the handover of the bribe and then post it online AFTER he entered the country.

23 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

You can't stop them sleeping, it's what Thais do best. That and eating marathons.

There was a recent thread about a Thai guy who took his kid to work to save on child care. I've seen this many times myself. He was hailed a hero on social media. In my country it would be forbidden.

Thais see work as an extension of their social lives. Eating, sleeping, playing with the kids, an hour or two on Facebook, all part of their normal working day.

20 hours ago, Spidey said:

Thais see work as an extension of their social lives. Eating, sleeping, playing with the kids, an hour or two on Facebook, all part of their normal working day.

Sounds better than the Japanese who keel over at their desks after 16 hours a day overtime.

Work sucks, dude. Thats why its called work. The US is the hardest working place in the world and work truly does suck.

Just now, Nyezhov said:

Sounds better than the Japanese who keel mover at their desks after 16 hours a day overtime.

Work sucks, dude. Thats why its called work.

Don't get me wrong, I admire the Thais for their attitude to work and life in general.

For me, I managed to get out early, after, at times, working 13 hours per day, 7 days per week. I was lucky that my company gave me a little pot of gold to take with me, which allows me to live in Thailand, lie on a beach all day (if I want to) and have the Thai attitude that work is just a dirty word.

On 10/1/2018 at 1:05 PM, gigman said:

Security has no right to punch any one. 

There is a training how to response in such situations and second security man reacted properly. 

That's international place and no one wants to be punched even if is wrong. 

On the other hand, he actually did something most people just think about doing when encountering one of these insanely annoying Chinese tourists. The poor guard lost his job too. Maybe we should set up a GoFundMe for him?

I mean, I am unfortunate enough to have been exposed to the insanity of some of these Chinese tourists... I don't really blame the guy for snapping.

6 hours ago, weejun said:

On the other hand, he actually did something most people just think about doing when encountering one of these insanely annoying Chinese tourists. The poor guard lost his job too. Maybe we should set up a GoFundMe for him?

I mean, I am unfortunate enough to have been exposed to the insanity of some of these Chinese tourists... I don't really blame the guy for snapping.

At this point I reckon we Should all hold fire with our 'keyboard warrior' conclusions & judgements'.

I have to say I also symphathised with the young security chap at first and commented so on here following the headline that the tourist was 'assaulted'...Then it emerged that the tourist was required to pay a 'tip' of either 300 bt or 2000 bt (??) which afaik has still to be confirmed (?)...However the PM's reaction and the new Immi chief's reaction seem to confirm this is true imo.

If that was indeed the case, the Tourist's angry reaction to this corruption is kind of understandable, though not to be condoned of course.  The tourist himself obviously should have kept his cool and behaved more maturely especially as it's claimed he fell short of the Thai entry requirements. 

Finally, I don't think it helps anything by slagging off a whole race or culture based on any single incident regardless of our own personal experiences.

Cheers, Ray.

p.s. to my last comment.  I want to stress that I'm not having a go at weejun or any others that find some Chinese 'annoying' as has been my own experience in the past...but then again, I've also witnessed many western ar**oles behaving disgracefully here.

I'm really quite interested so see how this particular incident plays out as it might just be the start of REALLY

doing something about officials asking for 'backhanders'?  (If indeed that was what happened at the airport?)

2 hours ago, rayinkrabi said:

p.s. to my last comment.  I want to stress that I'm not having a go at weejun or any others that find some Chinese 'annoying' as has been my own experience in the past...but then again, I've also witnessed many western ar**oles behaving disgracefully here.

I'm really quite interested so see how this particular incident plays out as it might just be the start of REALLY

doing something about officials asking for 'backhanders'?  (If indeed that was what happened at the airport?)

Don't hold your breath on the curbing of backhanders, irrespective of what BJ or the PM rabbit on about. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Yeahbutwhytho said:

Has anyone noticed any differences in Chinese guest numbers around the malls and attractions? Has there been a noticeable drop off

Can't really answer your questions but can offer possible reasons - 

(5) The Chinese citizen is prohibited from exiting China as decided by the relevant competent department of the State Council because the national security or interest may be compromised; or

(6) Other circumstances as set out by laws and administrative regulations under which the Chinese citizen is prohibited from exiting China.

Above extracted from Mainland China laws relating to entry and exit visas.

24 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

Can't really answer your questions but can offer possible reasons - 

(5) The Chinese citizen is prohibited from exiting China as decided by the relevant competent department of the State Council because the national security or interest may be compromised; or

(6) Other circumstances as set out by laws and administrative regulations under which the Chinese citizen is prohibited from exiting China.

Above extracted from Mainland China laws relating to entry and exit visas.

Plus the drop in the value of the RMB

Archived