Foreign tourist assaulted by security guard after being denied entry at Don Mueang

Jonathan Fairfield

The tourist should have been restrained without being thumped. Just like doormen in the UK, half of the nutters who cause trouble outside clubs need a good hiding but the bouncers have to abide by the rules or the club gets sued if a punter gets hurt. Same with these guys, if they offer violence then it reflects on the Thai govt. There were enough of them to restrain the guy and calm him down. The guy deserves the sack for indiscipline.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Was he executed by someone in a position of authority in Thailand. No, he was killed by a bunch of low life criminals. Every country has them.

Apples and oranges.

So you have to be in a position of authority to execute someone do you? You best drop a line to the South American drug cartels and let them know.

Just now, happy chappie said:

So you have to be in a position of authority to execute someone do you? You best drop a line to the South American drug cartels and let them know.

Try reading the post I replied to. It obviously went straight over your head.

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

And you are an affront to all logic. How does the Tiannaman square incident relate to a security guard swinging a punch in an airport? It was you that used a tragedy to make a cheap point.

Why don't you try comparing the security guard's action to 9/11? that might impress your pals.

The criminal  wasnt an Arab! He was Chinese. Didnt you read the story and the following comments? OK, ignore the slaughter, bravery and desperation in Tiananmen square which you find so amusing. China is a country where mass murder and violence is the norm. The people are case hardened to it. Combined with their belief in their racial superiority,  and their insensitivity and arrogance they are a nightmare people. Acquaint yourself with knowledge...impress your mates.

14 hours ago, worgeordie said:

So the guard will lose his job, for doing his job,he had been denied 

entry to Thailand ,so goes on walkabout in airport,he refused to stay

in the detention room!,sounds like he was trying to enter Thailand anyway.

regards worgeordie

If "doing his job" involves a round house swing, I would agree. I do not agree.

11 hours ago, baboon said:

How does heading for home solve any perceived injustice in the country one happens to be physically present in? Do incidents not take place if you are not there?

You (probably deliberately) missed my point. He's clearly not concerned about perceived injustice in this instance, he's just saying the following:

• Thailand is a "banana republic"
  • The Thai people are rude
  • The Thai people are lazy
  • The Thai people are blatantly racist
  • The Thai people don't want westerners here at all

My point being, if he harbours such resentment towards the Thais and feels they do the same to him, why is he still here? I'm picking because he failed in the western world and this is his only option. It's the only reason why he could have such resentment towards a country and a people, yet still willingly remain here. 

14 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Mr Suterawat said the guard involved has been suspended and will face a disciplinary procedure which will almost certainly result in him losing his job.

Guess there are no "inactive posts" for mere security guards!

14 hours ago, SammyT said:

Guard was probably sick of the Chinese pushing in everywhere at the airport. Let's face it, most of the rest of us are...

i have had mainly decent interaction with chinese. some are friends. once leaving a vietnam airport on immigration line the booth closed and new one oped next to it. a bunch of chinese that were behind me ran and all put themselves in front of me.  i was pissed and asked them if they know what manners are or education. a vn immigration officer saw this and rather than put me back in line ahead of them, walked me to another booth and gave me priority ahead of everyone on line. no waiting. seems he wanted them to see the result of what they did.  i passed immigration before them.

7 minutes ago, SammyT said:

You (probably deliberately) missed my point. He's clearly not concerned about perceived injustice in this instance, he's just saying the following:

• Thailand is a "banana republic"
  • The Thai people are rude
  • The Thai people are lazy
  • The Thai people are blatantly racist
  • The Thai people don't want westerners here at all

My point being, if he harbours such resentment towards the Thais and feels they do the same to him, why is he still here? I'm picking because he failed in the western world and this is his only option. It's the only reason why he could have such resentment towards a country and a people, yet still willingly remain here. 

"I'm picking that he has failed in the western world.."

A highly original remark...and I enjoy pickin'..

1 hour ago, chuang said:

If you have unfortunately to deal with these people from PRC you would know what they like.

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agreed. It says something for the PRC citizens general behaviour that I've seen Thai staff from almost every major airline that operates out of Chiang Mai know enough Mandarin to tell them not to push in and get to the back of the line. Hell, even the sandwich maker in Subway Phuket Airport knew how to tell them in their own tongue not to push in. 

Queueing and social graces just don't appear to be part of the Chinese tourist's portfolio. I've got ex-pat friends over here with a couple of young blonde kids, naturally they attract a lot of attention from Asian people. Thais in my experience are really polite and respectful with the kids. Chinese people will literally come up when we're out and dinner and try to sit down at our table or pick the kids up so they can take photos and show the kids to their friends. They don't take it too well when told no, either. 

Just now, Odysseus123 said:

"I'm picking that he has failed in the western world.."

A highly original remark...and I enjoy pickin'..

I wasn't looking for originality, to be fair. I was looking for reasons why someone would stay in a country where they so clearly hate the people and the place. If the Thais are rude, lazy and racist, surely you leave town given it's their country? 

36 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The tank did it's very best not to squash the belligerent guy stood in front of it. Showed great control....for a tank. ????

Is that the extent of your knowledge of the massacre?

Try reading this account of what the other tanks did as part of the slaughter of more than 10,000 students:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/tiananmen-square-massacre-death-toll-secret-cable-british-ambassador-1989-alan-donald-a8126461.html

15 hours ago, bino said:

He was then taken to an immigration detention room but refused to stay and reentered the airport.

Is this not a secure area? He can refuse to stay and walk out? How does that work???

Clearly it does not work - detention means not being allowed to leave.

At the very beginning of the clip the security guard has his hand up in the passengers face pushing him away from him when the man swings his arm over the security guards' and toward his head, that is when the security guard tries to strike the passenger. 

Imagine if this was a US international airport, the passenger had been denied entry and put into a detention room but had gotten out of it and back into the general population area and when confronted by security had swung his hand into their face.  He might have been shot in the head, the very least he would have been jumped on, zipped up and taken away to some special area of the airport where the laws on human rights don't apply.

I am not attempting to condone the actions of the security guard, just give some balance, the real criticism should be directed towards whoever it is who is supposed to maintain the security of the secure area, claiming that the detained "refused to stay" should not satisfy his boss.  I also seem to recall several other times when detained passengers have made off from the security area, some even escaping the airport entirely, ridiculous.

Yet again, a TV topic that generates totally opposing views.

Who was right, Tourist or Security Guy?

Musk or Unsworth?

Kiwi or Motorcyclist in Rayong?

Brexit, leaver or remainer?

The list is endless, but I wonder, do the same people always fall on the same side of the divide from my own position..?

4 minutes ago, wvavin said:

I am not a fan of the Chinese tourists but such action by the guard is inexcusable. Immediate dismissal and put him on a short jail times hold be able to clear his head.

Knee-jerk reaction much? You wouldn't be imprisoned for throwing a punch like that in any other part of the country, then you factor in that the Chinese guy was about to be deported and was refusing to comply with authorities instructions. I don't think the guard was right to do what he did, and he deserved to lose his job, but keep it in perspective. Sending him to prison achieves nothing. 

12 hours ago, baboon said:

Hang on a minute - "In other countries he would be eating bullets".

Which countries exactly would gun an angry but unarmed man down in cold blood for making a bit of a nuisance of himself?

The first letter is a U,  the last letter is A, in three letters :smile:

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

I hope the Chinese individual is also fully investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law in terms of airport security and immigration offences that he committed.  Why should Thailand have to apologise as it was the behaviour of the Chinese tourist that caused the altercation?  I freely admit that the security guard should not have reacted in that manner, but the incident would not have happened if the Chinese tourist had not breached airport security.  Quite a touchy subject these days.

When China says bend over to the Thais, their response is how far? 

Archived