150 Baht now for a big Chang

sanemax

On 9/30/2018 at 7:21 AM, Lungstib said:

The price lonely old men pay for company and TV without a monthly subscription. Its a choice.

As opposed to 'lonely old men' who buy their beer from 7/11 or Makro then sit on the sidewalk and get drunk.

Sounds like the difference between an old guy who still is interested in socializing as opposed to an alcoholic who needs the daily buzz on the cheap. 

Personally, if on Loi Kroh, I like to go to My Place on occasion.  Not the cheapest beer in town, but no Mamasan, no bar girls, friendly staff, TV with sports for the rare occasion that I wish to stare at the boob-tube,  a relatively quiet place to read a paper, or talk to my fellow farangs or the staff if I'm so inclined.  Sometimes I enjoy that once or twice a month.  It's called socializing and is healthy imho.
But buying your cheap, alcohol 'fix' at the mom and pops store, 7/11, or a big box store then sitting on the sidewalk while you get your buzz on?  That doesn't sound healthy at all.  But if that's 'your thing' then more power to ya'll.  :thumbsup:  To each their own.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cyclone88 said:

He doesn't consider anything. Obviously the OP thinks they can opperate on fresh air.

Simple... Stay at home and drink or sit on the steps outside a 7-11 and drink it. 

People like that really wind me up.

Oh and by the way...

200% mark up in any bar etc is the norm throughout the Western world.

But T/Land is not in the Western world.

Edited by Percy P
Mistakes

when i pop up to Bangkok i go out at 4 pm , home in bed by 8, ha ha,  (liar) and last count Nana 6 ladyboy bars not my scene. (but i sit in TIKI bar (was LUCKY LUKES) and see the the Japs taking ladyboys home for *coffee* i presume

10 minutes ago, Cyclone88 said:

He doesn't consider anything. Obviously the OP thinks they can opperate on fresh air.

Simple... Stay at home and drink or sit on the steps outside a 7-11 and drink it. People like that really wind me up.

Oh and by the way...

200% mark up in any bar etc is the norm throughout the Western world.

I do understand that bars have to make a profit , I just think that 150 Baht for a large Chang is quite excessive , considering that other bars sell for half that price .

the girls get 50/60 baht per drink, that is mostly their earnings as they work 28 days a month get 2 days off,work 12 hours a day,  get 5000 baht a month and some have to get 150 lady drinks or get wages docked,all very hard when there has been hardly any customers for 4 months now, does that explain it ??

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocketdave said:

I'm in the Arunothai area of central Pattaya, the bars here are all open air with tele sports and a large Chang or Archa ranges 65 to 75 Baht. I'm from London try getting a Pint of bottled premium lager there for that!

If in London, I would not be drinking the commercial 'panther-piss' that passes itself off as Lager.  I'd be drinking beer that actually has taste and flavor (ambers, stouts, IPA) regardless of the price.  Why waste money on commercial crap when you have easy access to 'real' beer on tap, unlike LOS where the beer monopolies rule the roost and micro-brew competition is squashed and imports are taxed into oblivion.
Chang and other Thai ales and lagers?  They are good for drowning slugs and garden snails in. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Are you a tourist or a newbie?

Or just a tourist newbie?

People moan about Thai beer, but it was actually developed and designed to be drunk in a glass with ice. I can't drink beer out here not in a glass full to the rim with ice - marvelous.

Just about manage an ice cold tinnie in an emergency, but that is the exception to the rule.

Naw Im just a fat old American guy living in Bangkok that looks askance at ice in beer. But hey, your mileage my vary, thanks for leading me into the light......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

Could have been  worse you could have been in the UK drinking  

then you would have something to complain about price wise

Absolute rubbish, a pint of real beer Abbots Bitter in any Wetherspoons £2.25 equates to approximately 100 baht. 

29 minutes ago, connda said:

As opposed to 'lonely old men' who buy their beer from 7/11 or Makro then sit on the sidewalk and get drunk.

Sounds like the difference between an old guy who still is interested in socializing as opposed to an alcoholic who needs the daily buzz on the cheap. 
Personally, if on Loi Kroh, I like to go to My Place on occasion.  Not the cheapest beer in town, but no Mamasan, no bar girls, friendly staff, TV with sports for the rare occasion that I wish to stare at the boob-tube,  a relatively quiet place to read a paper, or talk to my fellow farangs or the staff if I'm so inclined.  Sometimes I enjoy that once or twice a month.  It's called socializing and is healthy imho.
But buying your cheap, alcohol 'fix' at the mom and pops store, 7/11, or a big box store then sitting on the sidewalk while you get your buzz on?  That doesn't sound healthy at all.  But if that's 'your thing' then more power to ya'll.  :thumbsup:  To each their own.

I did often frequent the bars down Loi Kroh a few years ago  , before all the changes .

I used to go out with friends to busy bars , make new friends and then all head off to Zoe or Spicy and sometimes back to Lucky bar for a beer at sunrise .

Quite usually an eclectic mix of people , back-packers , teachers, ex-pats , digital nomads bargirls and freelancers  and people just passing by .

Had some good nights out .

All my friends moved away , the night scene disappeared with the clampdown on licencing laws .

The eclectic mix of people are now longer there , its mainly a few sad old guys drinking on their own and they usually just moan and complain about everything.

I prefer to sit on a bench on my own and have a quiet beer

37 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

the girls get 50/60 baht per drink, that is mostly their earnings as they work 28 days a month get 2 days off,work 12 hours a day,  get 5000 baht a month and some have to get 150 lady drinks or get wages docked,all very hard when there has been hardly any customers for 4 months now, does that explain it ??

No, because he commented about the cost of the Chang had nothing to do with LD.

And I always love to hear the hardly any customer comments.

For 4 months?  I have to tell you Sept. was a little slower but June, July and August it was pretty packed.

The "no customers" is usually indicative of a bad location, too many bars, unattractive rude/pushy staff, poor management, high prices. 

So, maybe they need to take a look at their business model...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

If you are a bar owner, i can understand your frustration.

Perhaps it's just me, but, more often than not, i have the sensation that i should the one to be paid a drink for bothering to talk with those ladies

I am not a bar owner , i am a bar and woman lover.

These girls work for drinks. So if you not planning on buying them a drink stay away and let us who can afford it have the attention we deserve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

These girls work for drinks. So if you not planning on buying them a drink stay away and let us who can afford it have the attention we deserve.

Its not about the money , I just dont want to talk to prostitutes .

I have nothing against them, just have no desire to talk to them, let alone pay to talk to them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its not about the money , I just dont want to talk to prostitutes .

I have nothing against them, just have no desire to talk to them, let alone pay to talk to them 

Jeez he sounds a Fun Person, the Girls are the winners.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Ok, no problem, i can think of another thousand ways to waste the money :smile: i am glad btw that you can afford to buy lady drinks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Yes and service with no smile

I go to bars to either watch sport , eat food or to have a drink .

I do prefer the bar staff to treat me normally , rather than being overtly friendly 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Jeez he sounds a Fun Person, the Girls are the winners.

Have to agree with Sanemax. Bar chat is tedious beyond words. If I want to talk to a woman, I'll stop home, at least the Mrs. can make me laugh while she fleeces me. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

130 for a small San Miguel light in a music bar in walking street not long ago.  More than 3 times retail seems excessive IMO.

Rip off Pattaya - time and time again. I hate the place and have only made 2 very short visits in the 20 years I have been living in the North of Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

I do understand that bars have to make a profit , I just think that 150 Baht for a large Chang is quite excessive , considering that other bars sell for half that price .

There are bars that sell beer for cost plus 1 baht profit. Usually short lived, with women that are painful to look at and change hands frequently and there are bars that are run as a business usually with better looking girls  and clientele ????????

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Rip off Pattaya - time and time again. I hate the place and have only made 2 very short visits in the 20 years I have been living in the North of Thailand.

Yes a real scam , imagine running a business to make profit instead of pleasing cheap Charlie’s????????

do you know how much rent is in walking street? 130 is dirt cheap when cost of san mig is about 46 baht

Edited by BestB
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BestB said:

Yes a real scam , imagine running a business to make profit instead of pleasing cheap Charlie’s????????

do you know hoe much rent is in walking street? 130 is dirt cheap when cost of san mig is about 46 baht

Is 46 cost or retail.  If it cost 46 I guess 7/11 sell it at cost.