150 Baht now for a big Chang

sanemax

15 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I think the OP has the right to post his opinions,even if personally i would never complain about a few Baht difference in prices.

My local mom & pop stores are having a price war.

My usual place 52bht for a large U-beer, 30bht for a Wine cooler, next shop lowered their price 50bht U-beer, 28bh wine cooler.

I shop at the new place now, 2bht is a 5% saving. Only a fool pays more than they have to!

Sometimes I like to have young women rubbing against me, in which case I will go to Loi Krow and pay more.

Edited by BritManToo

Just now, BritManToo said:

My local mom & pop stores are having a price war.

My usual place 52bht for a large U-beer, 30bht for a Wine cooler, next shop lowered their price 50bht U-beer, 28bh wine cooler.

I shop at the new place now, 2bht is a 5% saving.

Only a fool pays more than they have to!

I hear you, still i would pay a bit more if the company and the ambience are better.

More in general, for the sake of diversity, it's always better to have more than 2 or 3 favourite bars or shops imo.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BestB said:

So on a 70 baht bottle you think 30 baht profit is reasonable and enough to cover rent , wages , electric , water, internet, cable tv, police payments, sign tax , up keep and licences?

And if it’s not enough , it’s not your concern really , after all you primary concern is getting cheap booz so you can watch some sports.????

Quoting this one but also replying on your previous post / reply back to me.

Do you even in live in CM? There is no police paying in most bars in that area, only if they request staying open later. I know of owners with well running bars, Zoom bar is only growing and not paying anything. Aside of that, there is almost nowhere salary paid for staff, they only earn on drinks. 

The ones that do pay salary, pay really small ones but then again; that won't be a girl bar. 
Also with reasonable prices the average margin on a large beer is around 40-50 baht, which is totally normal if you DO run the bar properly and get enough customers in return.

Edited by ReneTH

17 hours ago, The manic said:

You are not just paying for the beer. It is not a 7/11. Cheap Charlies seem to suffer from an intelligence deficit.  Bars have all kinds of overheads, bills,  maintenance costs, staff payroll expenditure, cleaning costs, furniture, licence costs, utility bills etc etc. These cheap Charlies are not being ripped off as no one forces them to go there. I think a bit of self awareness might come in handy: you are not wanted at such bars. You bring people down with your drab clothes and churlish attitudes and your ultra frugal lifestyle. Penny pinchers are irritating and depressing company.  Nobody wants them in their bars. Take a hint: the higher prices are in part designed to deter Cheap Charlies.

I am simply stating facts, and i am the last person to be called a Cheap Charlie. I spend more than 3 average retirees do in bars.

18 hours ago, BestB said:

And that is why there are people in business and people who whine about few baht pretending to understand what business is.

would not surprise me if bar put higher price to avoid having tight, whining asses

And those people in business who set their prices at 33 % higher than the bar next door , for the same product , whilst not offering anything extra for that higher price , tend not to stay in business too long .

I checked the bar opposite yesterday , similar kind of bar (although cleaner and recently had a make-over), and to attract more customers , they have reduced their price to 100 Baht for a large Chang .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The manic said:

Yes you sound a real champagne charlie!

"Cheap Charlie" is a derogatory term used by prostitutes to "shame" potential customers into buying them drinks in bars .

I have never heard that term used outside the bar scene 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

"Cheap Charlie" is a derogatory term used by prostitutes to "shame" potential customers into buying them drinks in bars .

I have never heard that term used outside the bar scene 

Well, we hear "cheap charlie" everyday on Thai visa forum..

• Like 1

I doubt that it is still there, but a decade or more ago there was a "bar" (more like a shack) on one of the sois off Sukhumvit in Bangkok named Cheap Charlies.  It was know for cheap drinks and nothing else. 

I'm sure if you go back far enough you will find many applications of the name.

7 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I doubt that it is still there, but a decade or more ago there was a "bar" (more like a shack) on one of the sois off Sukhumvit in Bangkok named Cheap Charlies.  It was know for cheap drinks and nothing else. 

Although the term pre-dates that bar .

That bar was named that well after the term was regularly used .

15 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Soi 11 all gone now.

6 minutes ago, blackhorse said:
11 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:
Soi 11 all gone now.

Not missed. They weren't all that cheap at the end 80 baht all small beers when you could get a pint in air con English pubs with real toilets for 100 baht up till 7 or 8pm

Would you be more happy back in the air con English pubs?

I thought so..

• Like 1

I thought so..

Yes. Never went the last few years. A pain to try and get served and then never an empty seat, much younger crowd.. Certainly lost the charm of 10 years ago

Anyway way off topic

21 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I thought so..

Don't know never went in the place just reporting it is gone.

I stopped going to any English pubs or any place English for that matter because of the negativity and constant talk about Brexit and how much they hate Americans.

Just not my thangg. ????

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Don't know never went in the place just reporting it is gone.

I stopped going to any English pubs or any place English for that matter because of the negativity and constant talk about Brexit and how much they hate Americans.

Just not my thangg. ????

They hear my NY accent, and start talking about America...I toast them and tell them I am Millwall!

On 9/30/2018 at 4:56 AM, sanemax said:

Im just not "happy" about paying a 200 % mark-up on beer prices .

When , a few years ago , they were charging 80-90 Bart for a large Chang 

I would quite happily spend a 1000 Baht for a night out

These days , two beers and thats it 

Oh no you had to pay 3 GBP for a large beer?  you are paying for the company, seats, rent, electric, TV and all the rest.  Enjoy 7/11 you won't be missed   ????  

On 10/2/2018 at 1:07 PM, ReneTH said:

I am simply stating facts, and i am the last person to be called a Cheap Charlie. I spend more than 3 average retirees do in bars.

Don't like it?  don't go!  it's all market forces and the bars are packed when I go. The day I worry over paying 150 for a large beer in a bar full of gorgeous girls is the day I know all that time spent on my successful career was worthless. 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Its not just a one off beer though is it , it would be 5-6 beers per night , most/every night and that would be 25-30 000 Baht per month , $US 1000 per month just on beer .

Some of my alcoholic pals have moved to Saigon to lower their load.

Saigon Green is 15,000 dong (60c/20bht) for a 450ml bottle in a bar. 

saigon Green.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Some of my alcoholic pals have moved to Saigon to lower their load.

Saigon Green is 15,000 dong (60c/20bht) for a 450ml bottle in a bar. 

saigon Green.jpg

Funny, but could be true.

I know guys that go to Cambodia and seem to use the 50 cent beers as their motivation.  I suppose if you drink enough of them the price of the flight can be made up.  

Something different to do I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, sanemax said:

Its not just a one off beer though is it , it would be 5-6 beers per night , most/every night and that would be 25-30 000 Baht per month , $US 1000 per month just on beer .

With the uncertain future about currency fluctuations , I cannot justify spending that amount on beer .

I also do not want the company of bargirls , they are just so superficial and lacking any intelligence and its just the same moronic "discussions" every night .

The Girls trying to arouse the customers and the customers making stupid innuendos , very pleased with themselves for "pulling" such a pretty young lady .

Its tedious listening to them , when trying to watch sport on television .

"Are you drunk"

"No"

"Can you walk in a straight line"

She walks a few steps .

"Cor, you got a nice bum"

"Buy me a drink"

"Where you stay , I stay in your room tonight ?"

Giggling .

"Cannot not , me ladyboy , no boom-boom 

Both giggle .

"Its OK , me like ladyboy , you got a knob"

"Yes, very big"

Both laugh hysterically .

Puts his arm around her .

"Give me a feel"

He puts his hand on her crutch area .

"Oooohhhh cannot do that , me still virgin"

More hysterical laughter ...........on and on and on , same every night .

If you don’t want the company of bar girls and you don’t like the idiotic behaviour of those who do, why go drinking in Loi Kroh?

16 pages of replies for a thread on beer and hookers - speaks volumes about this forum.

Edited by Mark1066
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mark1066 said:

16 pages of replies for a thread on beer and hookers - speaks volumes about this forum

Its a break from Trump bashing and complaints about getting overcharged by 5 baht.

4 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

If you don’t want the company of bar girls and you don’t like the idiotic behaviour of those who do, why go drinking in Loi Kroh?

16 pages of replies for a thread on beer and hookers - speaks volumes about this forum.

I live in the area .

I usually go to a proper bar , well restaurant/ bar kind of place and its clean and comfortable , with sport on TV and reasonable food , no bargirls and they charge a reasonable 95 Baht for a big Chang .

I was unable to go there that night because it was closed , so I went to a nearby bar to watch the game .

Went to a bar where everything was 30 years old , chairs, bar paint ect and they charged 150 Baht for the same big Chang .

This was a girly bar..................but no girls in there .

There were a few grannies in there , not sure what they were doing there

I'm more concerned that of all the beers you could drink that you chose Chang. I thought it was the domain of elephant pants wearing tourists and Burmese labourers. 

Seriously though, there are a ton of bars in the area that don't charge those prices for Chang (80 - 90 per big bottle), vote with your feet. Drinking in "red light" bars is always going to be more expensive. Plenty of other bars playing sport around Chiang Mai.