150 Baht now for a big Chang

sanemax

I live in the area .
I usually go to a proper bar , well restaurant/ bar kind of place and its clean and comfortable , with sport on TV and reasonable food , no bargirls and they charge a reasonable 95 Baht for a big Chang .
   I was unable to go there that night because it was closed , so I went to a nearby bar to watch the game .
   Went to a bar where everything was 30 years old , chairs, bar paint ect and they charged 150 Baht for the same big Chang .
  This was a girly bar..................but no girls in there .
There were a few grannies in there , not sure what they were doing there
I asked before but never got an answer. How come no happy hours in CM?

Only one I found was the Irish Pub in the main st

7 minutes ago, blackhorse said:

I asked before but never got an answer. How come no happy hours in CM?

Only one I found was the Irish Pub in the main st

I's actually never thought of it, and don't know for certain but I suspect it could be for a number of reasons:

1) Slightly different type of tourist - it's unusual to see hammered tourists round the old city as you might in Bangkok and some of the islands. Lots of yoga tourists, vegans, vegetarians and stuff who don't seem to get written off like tourists elsewhere.

2) Probably one of those weird market quirks where no one else is doing it, so no one does it. If a few bars were to bring it in, perhaps it would spread. 

3) I've found beers (and food) here already seem comparatively cheaper to other major tourist areas in Thailand. Putting aside the OP's experience of course. 

• Like 1

I's actually never thought of it, and don't know for certain but I suspect it could be for a number of reasons:

1) Slightly different type of tourist - it's unusual to see hammered tourists round the old city as you might in Bangkok and some of the islands. Lots of yoga tourists, vegans, vegetarians and stuff who don't seem to get written off like tourists elsewhere.

2) Probably one of those weird market quirks where no one else is doing it, so no one does it. If a few bars were to bring it in, perhaps it would spread. 

3) I've found beers (and food) here already seem comparatively cheaper to other major tourist areas in Thailand. Putting aside the OP's experience of course. 

I'm in Pattaya now for my monthly holiday from Bangkok and the food is about the same but the beers are way cheaper than chiang mai

Apart from the happy hours that run untill 7 or 8pm there are several bars that sell tall bottles for 70 baht around the clock

My favorite place is the beer garden with the best Waterview in town with 55 baht draft tiger all night

Having said that I wouldn't choose a town just on beer prices or I would have left BKK already

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 11:28 AM, sanemax said:

I live in the area .

I usually go to a proper bar , well restaurant/ bar kind of place and its clean and comfortable , with sport on TV and reasonable food , no bargirls and they charge a reasonable 95 Baht for a big Chang .

I was unable to go there that night because it was closed , so I went to a nearby bar to watch the game .

Went to a bar where everything was 30 years old , chairs, bar paint ect and they charged 150 Baht for the same big Chang .

This was a girly bar..................but no girls in there .

There were a few grannies in there , not sure what they were doing there

The Wild Boar (?) in that area is OK - no bar girls, sport on TV, food seems reasonable. Not sure about the prices though, I can't remember.

• 3 months later...
On 10/2/2018 at 1:41 PM, sanemax said:

And those people in business who set their prices at 33 % higher than the bar next door , for the same product , whilst not offering anything extra for that higher price , tend not to stay in business too long .

I checked the bar opposite yesterday , similar kind of bar (although cleaner and recently had a make-over), and to attract more customers , they have reduced their price to 100 Baht for a large Chang .

.................and the bar with Large chang for 100 Baht , has closed down and the 150 Baht large Chang bar is still there

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, sanemax said:

.................and the bar with Large chang for 100 Baht , has closed down and the 150 Baht large Chang bar is still there

there are pubs in bangkok near universities that offer 4 large bottles of chang for 240 baht and have live music to boot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2018 at 10:44 AM, natway09 said:

Obvious that most guys posting replies here have no idea of the costs other  than the cost of beer to operate a bar. Believe me, margins are shrinking at an alarming rate

Plenty of bars in Cambodia seem to be making a living with beer at 50c/pint and cocktails for $1.

Oxidepub in CM often has 3 large for 199bht.

What I see in common with all the cheap but profitable Asian bars, is none of them appear to be run by fat white guys.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just moved recently to a suburb near CM so not sure how things work. For those of you who live outside the city centre, what form of transportation is available for going home. If I mention that I am still perfectly capable of controlling a motor vehicle after 2 beers, half the posters will be heaping criticism on me.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

9 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

I just moved recently to a suburb near CM so not sure how things work. For those of you who live outside the city centre, what form of transportation is available for going home. If I mention that I am still perfectly capable of controlling a motor vehicle after 2 beers, half the posters will be heaping criticism on me.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Grab.

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Oxidepub in CM often has 3 large for 199bht.

What I see in common with all the cheap but profitable Asian bars, is none of them appear to be run by fat white guys.

The Oxide pub is more of a restaurant than a bar .

Its designed and caters for groups of people on a night out , six people all going out for a feed and live music and the beer promotions is too encourage the eaters to drink more .

Those restaurant/bars do not really encourage single older Westerners to sit on their own all night on a table for six and insist that the two other large Chang remain in the fridge , whilst they sit there drinking the other one , and the other two are bought over to them at hourly intervals and expect a pretty girl to bring it to them and have a five minute flirt for free .

Its not uncommon to see those elderly westerners , taking the two other beers back to the fridge and looking for the bottle tops to hammer back on to the bottle and putting them back in the fridge , after theyve written their names in marker pen on the bottle and telling the waitress to bring them over when theyve finished the first one

• Like 1