New approach to teaching English already shows results

rooster59

2 hours ago, markaoffy said:

The British Council know nothing! And it ridiculous to announce whatever happened as “instant success “

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Back to the imperialistic values.... not about teaching a Langauge...

20 hours ago, connda said:

Only if Liz is going to follow them back to their schools and then continually follow-up in order to make sure that the 'new and improved' methods she and the British Council are teaching are implemented.

It's not Liz's and the British Council's teaching methods that are in question. I have no doubt that the teaching method is solid. It's what happens after these Thai English teachers leave the confines of her classroom and are tasked with implementing the new approach in a risk-adverse, change-resistant environment of the typical Thai school. 

I've been there. I've done that.  I know.

Don't get me wrong.  If 2 to 5% of these teachers successfully implement what they have learned - that is progress that bodes well for the future!

images.jpeg.72fbb82fa9280ee85cba5cd4ad262aab.jpeg

You are not Robinson Crusoe.  I also have been there and done that.  A lot of the teachers that I have worked with would love to implement new procedures but more often than not they have their hands tied by a greedy power hungry director who will do nothing to upset the parents who are forking out the money.

15 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

Nothing in my reply to you was sarcastic.

But this is:

your nephew never received English instruction before a year ago, and he did it all on his own. Great - contact the Guinness Book of Records and the Natural History Museum.

The problem with this kind of discussion is that everyone speaks a language, so everyone has an opinion about how best to learn or teach a language.

ta, just great, had a good laugh at this one

(reminds me of a Canadian friend, works with airport security in Asia,

he is a sure centre at any social party, everybody has (strong) views)

On 9/30/2018 at 10:06 AM, Lupatria said:

Now that's what I call an "overnight success"! Yesterday's news:

Three quarters of Thai English teachers are only at elementary level - or worse

Amazing progress, yesterday 30,000/40K at elementary level, today 17,000/40K exceptional and raring to go! Thailand the hub of education!

19 hours ago, Nielsk said:

That was a pessimistic attitude. What about waiting and watching rather than expressing your prejudices

Tried watching and waiting for 20 years in Thailand, "risk adverse" doesn't even begin to explain the attitude of Thai teachers!

Archived