Koh Phi Phi Fire

2long

As of midday Sunday 11th; There's a fire raging in Ton Sai bay.

It started just south of Apache Bar in one of those shops and is on it's way towards the Apache Bar. As far as I know, nobody has been hurt.

I am in Bangkok, but spoke to my borther who's there watching it and trying to help fight it.

Fire breaks out on Phi Phi Island

PHI PHI ISLANDS: -- A fire Sunday raged through a row of shops on Krabi's Phi Phi Island, causing more than Bt2million in damage but no casualties.

These shops were beer bars, grocery shops and fishing-equipment rental shops.

Local people and tourists joined police officers in extinguishing the fire.

-- The Nation 2007-02-11

Update:

Fire destroys row of shops on Phi Phi

KRABI: -- A fire raged through a row of shops yesterday on Koh Phi Phi, causing more than Bt2 million in damage. No one was hurt.

Bars, grocer shops and a fishing equipment rental store were gutted.

The fire erupted at around 11.30am and swiftly raged through more than 10 shops. Residents and tourists rushed to help police officers extinguish the flames.

It took more than two hours to put out the blaze, which was strengthened by strong winds.

Krabi governor Siva Sirisaovalak praised the tourists and everyone involved for their part in extinguishing the fire.

"Had they not joined hands, the damage could have been much more widespread," Siva said.

Phi Phi police chief Lt Col Jakra Saovakul said witnesses suggested a short circuit was the cause.

Siva said Phi Phi was overcrowded and should be re-planned to ensure emergency help could reach trouble spots more swiftly.

"A revamp would enhance order on the island," the governor said.

He said funds had already been allocated to the island's disaster prevention and mitigation centre.

Now fully recovered from the 2004 tsunami, the Andaman island was attracting huge numbers of tourists.

-- The Nation 2007-02-12

Mini-video: The Krabi authorities & Red Cross assisted the fire victims on Phi Phi Island

To see or download mini-video, go to http://www.thaisnews.com/news_detail.php?newsid=204579

The fire in Phi Phi island’s Tonsai Village near the southern beach front of Ton Sai bay caused damage to 13 shop houses & businesses, among these 10 were completely destroyed. We received these series of graphic photos from Phi Phi Hotel staff which show how fierce and strong the fire spread, that even coconut trees got burnt. It also shows many tourists and locals helping together to carry water from the sea in buckets to put out the fire and also take out many belongings from nearby properties, despite the limited space and big crowds of onlookers. Yesterday a relief team led by Krabi Red Cross president Wannamart Sirisaowalak visited the victims and gave out necessity bags plus cash of 3,000 baht each as initial relief packages. Meanwhile the Krabi governor Siwa Siri Saowalak instructed the provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office to speed up the survey of damages caused by the fire for further compensation or assistance. The Ao Nang sub-district Administration Organization will be coordinator for this operation.

from Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) + Radio Thailand FM90.5 Phuket City, both broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, 8.30am & later on Phuket Cable TV channel 1, Tuesday 13 February 2007 & www.Thaisnews.com { Our news text and mini-videos can be freely copied , but please give credit to Andaman News TV11 Phuket}

Krabi governor Siva Sirisaovalak praised the tourists and everyone involved for their part in extinguishing the fire.

"Had they not joined hands, the damage could have been much more widespread," Siva said.

Phi Phi police chief Lt Col Jakra Saovakul said witnesses suggested a short circuit was the cause.

Siva said Phi Phi was overcrowded and should be re-planned to ensure emergency help could reach trouble spots more swiftly.

"A revamp would enhance order on the island," the governor said.

He said funds had already been allocated to the island's disaster prevention and mitigation centre.

Now fully recovered from the 2004 tsunami, the Andaman island was attracting huge numbers of tourists.

:D What ever happened to the post-tsunami master plan? :o

Many, in fact too many attitudes towards fire and fire safety are downright frightening. I have heard such things said on more than one occasion "Fires dont happen to me, they happen to my neighbours" and

"why should I worry, I am insured".

Sadly majority of tourists are just not aware that many of the tourist areas are nothing more than potential death traps. Recently a foreign lady was burnt to deat on Samet, now Phi Phi has experienced the wrath of fire. Pattaya itself is a major disaster waiting to happen fire wise.

The days of the very heavy, lumbering fire trucks are long gone, using new technology called "Micro Drops" a very effective fire figthing unit can be mounted on a Motor Cycle, Quad or pick up, these units at a fraction of the price of a traditional fire truck.

Is there interest in this new product, you bet there is except 'No budget available" So people/ Property etc can burn all for the sake of a relatively small amount of Baht.

If there is anyone interested in finding out more about these products please pm me.

This is not a sales line, but being in the fire business, this product is a real eye opener.