What do you hate most about driving in LOS?

The list is pretty huge but I think my biggest pet hate about driving here is the use of slip roads for entering and exiting main roads. When using a slip road to enter or exit a main road, the car that is on the road that you wish to get onto will almost always try to stop you coming in!!!! Even though they can clearly see that your slip road will end very shortly they will often flash their lights to say "don't come - I'm coming" or they will hit the accelerator to close any gap that may be there for you to move into. The total opposite to back home where the car that occupies that lane will either adjust their own speed to allow you on safely or even move over to the next lane. The behaviour here in LOS absolutely mystifies me as it is so dangerous and can easily lead to a fatality if the car entering the main road from the slip road has nowhere to go. On the whole I find local drivers to be extremely selfish and inconsiderate. The fact that they only have a signal for "Stop, I'm coming" and do not have one for "you first" say's it all really!!!! Just wondered what people thought about driving here and your pet hates!?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

risky place to drive, need eyes all around

dislike; M-bikes and sometimes cars driving in the wrong direction

(re slip roads for enter a road,

where I come  from (people do not drive polite) authorities try to solve this by markings on the road

first section; on-comer can not enter main road, even if free

second section; on-comer may enter if free

third section; on-comer has the right of way and must enter)

the penalty for not giving way in the 3rd section is steep,

I'd guess about 20 000 baht

58 minutes ago, greenmonkey said:

The total opposite to back home where the car that occupies that lane will either adjust their own speed to allow you on safely or even move over to the next lane.

Or you could of adjusted your speed to let them go.

As for "back home" forget that and learn the Thai driving habits "right or wrong" it will keep you safe.

1 minute ago, Morch said:

For me, I think it's the driving in LOS part that's most annoying.

Seriously, where does one start?

You just start another thread of the many already Thai bash threads about driving in Thailand and saying how wonderful the drivers of the country you come from are. ????

In BKK it's far too busy on the roads...and so many selfish idiots who even don't care for their own safety.

I hate it when a drive motocy and cars act like they didn't see me...they come from a sideroad and just drive onto the mainroad forcing me to stop because i'm on a motocy..

Thai are very selfish and really have no idea how to drive safe.

Just now, Kwasaki said:

You just start another thread of the many already Thai bash threads about driving in Thailand and saying how wonderful the drivers of the country you come from are. ????

Well, to be fair, I'm not that excited about driving anywhere. And, of course, there are other places comparable (or even worse) than Thailand (lived in India, so yeah...). Most Western countries are less stressful in this department, that's more of a fact, I think, rather than Thai bashing. Considering Thais complain about it as well, not a very strong argument.

16 minutes ago, Thian said:

In BKK it's far too busy on the roads...and so many selfish idiots who even don't care for their own safety.

I hate it when a drive motocy and cars act like they didn't see me...they come from a sideroad and just drive onto the mainroad forcing me to stop because i'm on a motocy..

Thai are very selfish and really have no idea how to drive safe.

Hey, most motor cycles do exactly the same, staright out on the main road without a glance to their right.....assuming they are driving on the correct side of the road.

Its no wonder when you consider they have no formal practical driviing test.

Most have elevated from a motorcycle and drive like they would ride a motorcycle in the village. No looking right at a junction, straight round !

Some get into vehicles they have no clue how to operate or manouvre.To say nothing of the no lights etc after dark. Nightmare!

I know of a person who passed their "test" in an automatic yet could go out and legally drive a variety of manual vehicles up to large trucks! with no actual ability at all.

Amazing Thailand ! Think of all the things that could be done wrong and be prepared for it at any time ????

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Or you could of adjusted your speed to let them go.

As for "back home" forget that and learn the Thai driving habits "right or wrong" it will keep you safe.

Yep I agree. I have been driving here for 5 years now and have learnt and adapted - in a perverse kinda way I enjoy it! Although as I write this I just remonded myself of the dangers of driving out in the country with the amount of overtaking on completely blind bends.... that blows my mind!

16 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

For me its ground level U-turns across the central reservations in the middle of high speed dual carriageways. When they outlaw them all it will be a safer place.

agree that those are major factors in causing accidents

22 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

For me its ground level U-turns across the central reservations in the middle of high speed dual carriageways. When they outlaw them all it will be a safer place.

There's  a portion of the main 4 lane highway near me, its the main arterial route and its fast, and you wouldnt know this unless a local, but smack in the middle of an 18km fast stretch of this dual carriageway with vehicles usually travelling 80+ kph they've placed a "zebra crosing" !!! No warning whatsoever, it Beggars belief !!

1 hour ago, Morch said:

Well, to be fair, I'm not that excited about driving anywhere. And, of course, there are other places comparable (or even worse) than Thailand (lived in India, so yeah...). Most Western countries are less stressful in this department, that's more of a fact, I think, rather than Thai bashing. Considering Thais complain about it as well, not a very strong argument.

Yeah.. some dorks here feel the need to say there is nothing wrong in Thailand just because they need to reassure themselves.

The most dangerous: Thais driving around a right hand bend over the yellow lines (2 lane rural roads).

The most annoying: Thais not being able to wait 5 seconds for an oncoming car to pass but start moving at a slow pace partly on the road and partly on the shoulder.

Archived