The Joke's on you as Surachate takes over immigration promising "No Tip" department

webfact

The Joke's on you as Surachate takes over immigration promising "No Tip" department

8PM.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thailand's famous crime buster "Big Joke" has been welcomed to his new job - as head of immigration. 

And he started off with some tough words promising action against unscrupulous visa agents and even perhaps his own new department.

He is determined to stamp out back-handers and Thai Rath said that "No Tip" signs would be going up at immigration centers. 

Today the outgoing chief Lt Gen Suthipong Wongpin formally welcomed Maj-Gen Surachate Hakpan to his new position. 

Flowers were handed to both men in a "sacred" ceremony. 

Surachate praised the work of Suthipong promising to take up from where he left off.

But he pledged a tightening up of procedures and a drive to 4.0 meaning a more modern department.

He also said he would create 1,000 new jobs in immigration to improve efficiency. 

Top of his "to do" list are agents who rip people off for visas. And he is determined to create an honest transparency in immigration affairs with his "No Tip" signs. 

(Thai Rath in fact said NO TRIP in English in their article but we think we know what they meant, notes Thaivisa). 

Thai Rath also called Surachate "THE Joke" though it was not clear if this meant there was a departure form his familiar moniker that he has come to be known by - Big Joke. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-01

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, webfact said:

And he is determined to create an honest transparency in immigration affairs with his "No Tip" signs

So, no more paying for cert of residence for licence and other things?

A list of requirements that we can refer to when getting our paperwork ready

The removal of the expression "new rule, new rule"

Knowledge of the exact requirements needed for proof of income by the officers

I will not hold my breadth. Neither should you and neither should Big Joke.

Same shit, different boss.

Maybe something to do with the big 300 baht (tip) scam at the airport?Lots of work for him but it will no doubt affect a lot of people who are buying their visa each year.

If everything will be more strict there will be a lot less people entering the Kingdom by ommiting the law.

More to come i am sure.

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

He also said he would create 1,000 new jobs in immigration to improve efficiency. 

To my way of thinking, that would reduce efficiency, by creating more jobs to do the same work.

Perhaps he has some cunning plan, Baldrick?

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

. . . promising action against unscrupulous visa agents and even PERHAPS his own new department . . .

. . . and Thai Rath said that "No Tip" signs would be going up at immigration centers. 

No Tip signs something for the Joker to brag about? They're bloody well not. An unequivocally worded sign was prominently displayed at the Sakon Nakhon Imm Pol office, three years ago, when the back-hander furor surfaced with a vengeance. The man is clearly not well-informed re the IP force's achievement history and has already justified to his 'Big Joke' nickname.

And what's this about his own new department PERHAPS getting a looking at? Sounds to me like he's already scared of the big bad boys he's likely to be crossing paths with.

12 minutes ago, thequietman said:

So, no more paying for cert of residence for licence and other things?

It will be called a fee and you get a receipt :biggrin:

And the 1900 Baht fee for extension will be 1900 not 2000 with 100 Baht tip.

2 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

It's already (and has been for a long time) called a "fee" and you'll get a receipt for 'express' service.

So also not covered by "no tip".

It' many years that I needed one.

Just remember that I paid for.

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

He also said he would create 1,000 new jobs in immigration to improve efficiency

How about replacing the 5 people that currently process my re-entry permit with 1 person. Why do they need so many people to give me a re-entry permit? The real leg work is done by the 3 (still 2 too many) IO's that process my annual extension. Why do these re-entry people take so long? Surely they should just take my money and stamp my passport. Then we would have 5 re-entries being processed concurrently - way more efficient.

1 minute ago, Vacuum said:

It's already (and has been for a long time) called a "fee" and you'll get a receipt for 'express' service.

Perhaps there will be a hotline number to call Big Joke's office and dob in the cowboys.

Thaksin had a hotline when he had his police corruption crackdown. That resulted in bars being expressly told by the police themselves, NOT to pay them any money. It was payment-free for about three months IIRC.

Surachet Hakpal appointed as Immigration Bureau Commissioner

BANGKOK, 1st October 2018, (NNT) - Police Major General Surachet Hakpal has been appointed to the position of Commissioner of the Immigration Bureau. 

Acting Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Bureau Pol. Lt. Gen. Sutthipong Wongpinhanded on the role to Police Major General Surachet. Both also attended a merit making ceremony marking the occasion. 

Pol. Maj. Gen. Surachet said that the bureau under his direction would remain strict on checking the eligibility of passengers to enter the kingdom at entry points, while implementing technology to comply with the government’s Thailand 4.0 initiative. He also revealed a plan to enlist a thousand more employees to accommodate the rising number of visitors to the nation. 

The new Immigration Bureau Commissioner also touched on the issue of officials allegedly extorting tour operators, promising the public to tighten the regulations to prevent the issue from damaging the image of Thailand. He said banners will be erected to inform tourists that there are no extra charges for immigration processing.

n addition, an investigation into the matter will be launched this week to find the culprits. Violators will be prosecuted and are likely to face embezzlement charges.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-10-01

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone made me a promise they had no chance of keeping!

Life will carry on the same and the rip offs will continue and Big Joke is a bigger idiot than I previously booked him for, if he really thinks he can clean it all up.

13 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

If he does a good job here, promote him to sort out the corruption amongst the police and politicians. ????

Oh - yes . . . dream on. They wouldn't dare appoint someone whom they feared might start lifting the carpet.

My Mrs knows an immigration officer. 

Apparently online reporting will be upgraded from Win 95 to Win 98.

The 90 day report will be reduced to just a 90 hour report. 

And free glowsticks handed out to all those who diligently line up at 3am for the 8am lottery of visa appointments. 

Bad guys out, insomniacs in. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Top of his "to do" list are agents who rip people off for visas. And he is determined to create an honest transparency in immigration affairs with his "No Tip" signs. 

That could cause problems for a lot of people who don't meet the Extension requirements and use agents and backhanders to get their applications through, I personally know many

2 hours ago, webfact said:

At least a 100 urgently needed at Chiang Mai Immigration,

so people requiring a retirement extension don't have start

queing in middle of the night ,just to make sure they can

been seen that day,and are not coerced into paying exorbitant

fees to agents,come on Big Joke shake up the system.

regards worgeordie

18 minutes ago, smedly said:

That could cause problems for a lot of people who don't meet the Extension requirements and use agents and backhanders to get their applications through, I personally know many

Guess that brings Thailand into the 21st century then.

27 minutes ago, BoganInParasite said:

How about uniform application of the law, regulations, policies and procedures across all Immigration offices. And get rid of the ridiculous annual verification of genuine marriages for couples who have already proved they are in such a relationship.

I'm sure we could start a whole new thread on things we'd like to improve at Immigration, though I do agree that lack of consistency and ever-changing rules are a bigger problem to most of us than tipping and extortion.

16 hours ago, smedly said:

And also Think that might upset too any senior immigration officers who are also visa gents  

At my immigration office much more work goes on outside than inside plus those using agents get seen to a lot quicker 

Archived