BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Video: "Welcome to Chiang Mai" - tourists forced to leave GrabCar as tempers flare

1 hour ago, Galactus said:

unfortunately but that is bc of 35 million tourists coming to thailand making these guys aggressive. 

I don't know where to start with this comment. It is wrong in so many ways. Sure there will be many tourists who I would not want to deal with but they are a tiny minority. It is not tourists making them aggressive it is greed. This greed has partly been fuelled by weak minded tourists who give in and pay excessive fares and give tips when they are not deserved without thinking about the consequences. If more people stood up to these vermin instead of being intimidated by them things may get better. 

If tourists are the problem maybe Grab will take the pressure off letting them all calm down and start to provide a good service everywhere.

2 hours ago, Galactus said:

no way i support grab or uber.

prefer to pay 50 baht more to a local guy. but that is me.

Uber drivers are also "local" guys

WELL, the Grab drivers are more polite, the cars nicer and cleaner and the rates are lower, so I will ONLY use GRAB.

19 hours ago, chang1 said:

You are not thinking this through. If the government did not make this charge, meter fares could be lowered. Customers are paying and the driver is just giving it to the government in advance. 

Exactly what I said.

13 hours ago, Galactus said:

unfortunately but that is bc of 35 million tourists coming to thailand making these guys aggressive. moreover, they need to pay 1000 to 1200 to the owner of gaxi if they are drivers. that makes them more aggressive i reckon. can understand the pressure? just some empathy. you need to make 1200 baht a day just to cover the rent and you need to pay petrol, food and for your family waiting for food back home.

it is easy to speak from your comfy chair in front of your computer!

sure legal taxi guys improve their services but they will due to the fear of grab or uber. new regulations follow in time too.

anyway, no way i support grab or uber.

prefer to pay 50 baht more to a local guy. but that is me.

I understand the pressure. If they need more customers they can just join grab. 

50 baht more for a real taxi, sure, but that's not the case. In cm the real cabs ask 500-600 for a trip that is 170-180 with grab...

7 hours ago, hobz said:

I understand the pressure. If they need more customers they can just join grab. 

50 baht more for a real taxi, sure, but that's not the case. In cm the real cabs ask 500-600 for a trip that is 170-180 with grab...

yep. bc of hordes of tourists. better get a small scooter and call it a day and never look back.

end of your complaints. or change the city and live somewhere quieter and less touristy.

21 hours ago, Galactus said:

can understand the pressure? just some empathy. you need to make 1200 baht a day just to cover the rent and you need 

it is easy to speak from your comfy chair in front of your computer!

Oh boy, that makes it perfectly okay to try to beat up another guy who is presumably trying to feed his family as well. Because they're under financial pressure, because they've had it too good with zero external competition too long. If your job isn't making ends meet, find something else to do or lower your prices. I've had taxi drivers at the airport try to charge me double what I know it costs to get to my condo and then hurl abuse at me when I decline a ride. But that's okay, because they're under pressure and I shouldn't judge. 

You're right, from the comfort of my chair it is easy to say that even if I was facing financial pressure that I wouldn't beat up some guy trying to do his job. Even worse that for one of the guys it his second time being caught. 

I recently stop at bus station, the red bus tried to scam me by charging 150 baht for short distance to kad suan kaew.

Those tuk-tuk and red bus are overcharging tourists. That's why people prefer Grab or the blue bus.

5 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Those tuk-tuk and red bus are overcharging tourists. That's why people prefer Grab or the blue bus.

Absolutely. I've no problem with the haggling process that tourists can engage in with tuktuks and red buses - for me that's all part of negotiating a fare that both parties are happy with and if they choose to overpay, so be it. But what I hate is the aggressiveness if the driver doesn't get the price they want, or the blatant ripping off of the person (i.e. turning up at the destination and demanding an inflated fare). 

Be nice to see the traffic police doing something about this, rather than trying to pick up westerners on motos driving around the old city

Just simply rage everywhere. These people are strange. I let off the steam in the gym, not the roads.

56 minutes ago, A1Str8 said:

Just simply rage everywhere. These people are strange. I let off the steam in the gym, not the roads.

I can understand their anger if somebody is taking over their business. After all, they have to pay for their meals etc.

But these drivers should also lower their charges and work harder.

I have seen these people sitting there for long hours and pounce on a tourist who can overpay.

I've seen a lot of Chinese tourists end up overpaying. 

I've never seen any taxi drivers use meter in Chiang Mai before from the airport. All of them refused to use the meter. That's actually illegal.

From another news source:

"Later that morning, a group of 30 taxi, Songteew and tuk - tuk operators assembled with posters and signs in front of the arcade bus station to ask the authorities to end the "grab cars" once and for all."

I will demonstratively take a grab next time from the airport, train station or bus terminal to tell these criminals that they can kiss my $##@!

And another section from the same news:

"The 37-year-old Tuk Tuk driver, later identified as Rungruj Jinareun, appears to be very aggressive in the video clip. He was warned after the incident to change his behavior and will now have to face the law."

"In 2016, Rungruj has already been arrested for a similar incident. Now he was again warned by the competent authorities that he has not improved since then."

So he has done this before but still allowed to work as a driver for public transport.
This is absolutely ridiculous and shows once more that sometimes something is really going wrong in this country.

Everyone who is defending these thugs is not right in their mind.

2 hours ago, CLW said:

So he has done this before but still allowed to work as a driver for public transport.

Apparently he's not as he's not licenced and therefore operating illegally. 

This monkey in the Chiang Mai shirt needs to be taken down and put in jail.

Who is in charge of Chiang Mai City ?? Why should Chiang Mai be any different from Bangkok ??  No problems with Grab in Bangkok !!!   So what is the fuxxxing problem with CM ?? 

I lived in CM for 1 year , that was enough .