BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Video: "Welcome to Chiang Mai" - tourists forced to leave GrabCar as tempers flare

Versus putting up with an established "legal" taxi system in Chiang Mai where drivers refuse to use the metre, price fix at main tourist attractions (tried lately getting a cab out of the airport for less than double what it'd actually cost?), have run-down cars and often get aggressive during the haggling process (which is mandatory because they refuse to use the metre).

I'll take the illegal system, if it's all the same. 

I attempted to take an official airport taxi from CNX week before last. I was quoted 250 baht for a standard taxi to the same destination for which I was charged 160 baht the previous week.

Took out my phone, requested a Grab ride and the fare was 209 baht from the arrivals door. No haggling and my ride was a new Mazda 3 driven by a really nice CMU grad student who was occasionally doing Grab in the evenings to make ends meet.

So yes, I'll take this so-called "illegal" Grab system as well. 

2 minutes ago, bubba said:

I attempted to take an official airport taxi from CNX week before last. I was quoted 250 baht for a standard taxi to the same destination for which I was charged 160 baht the previous week.

Took out my phone, requested a Grab ride and the fare was 209 baht from the arrivals door. No haggling and my ride was a new Mazda 3 driven by a really nice CMU grad student who was occasionally doing Grab in the evenings to make ends meet.

So yes, I'll take this so-called "illegal" Grab system as well. 

Gotta love grab.

I arrived at cnx on Friday night and grab was 245THB to San phak wan and airport taxi was 250THB so I took the airport taxi.

I think grab pricing goes up a bit when it's Friday/Saturday night. All good.

Gotta love grab.
I arrived at cnx on Friday night and grab was 245THB to San phak wan and airport taxi was 250THB so I took the airport taxi.
I think grab pricing goes up a bit when it's Friday/Saturday night. All good.
I'm not sure but I have the suspicion the grab prices are calculated based on day, time and demand.

4 minutes ago, CLW said:

I'm not sure but I have the suspicion the grab prices are calculated based on day, time and demand.

If they are a smart business. Uber has been doing it for ages, transparently, via surge.

Generates huge profits for both company and driver.

Just get ready for a fight , if you try to enter a Grab near the public places and tuktuks. 

5 minutes ago, balo said:

Just get ready for a fight , if you try to enter a Grab near the public places and tuktuks. 

With other words we can chose from just grabbing a Taxi or grabbing a grab and a fight....:whistling:

And arm your smartphones for a viral video [emoji23]

On 10/3/2018 at 5:43 AM, Rc2702 said:

I expect if central group buy grab this will put an end to this nonsense

I don't understand this. Who/what is central group and why will it stop this sort of problem?

On 10/3/2018 at 2:55 AM, chang1 said:

This comment needs its own reply.

I cannot understand why you would pay 30 Baht more for a taxi.

Toenail sums it up nicely

"Sad the local “taxi” or tuk-tuk drivers cannot understand why many people prefer to use their smartphones and book a “Grab” or “Uber” ( not found in SE Asia)  1) Reliable drivers that are rated by the customer 2) clean cars 3) well groomed drivers 4) no nonsense in price 5) a feeling of confidence since the driver is held accountable whereas a driver with the taxi mafia is not"

I just spent a month in Chiang Mai and got around on foot, with Grab, and the times I met a friend we traveled in his vehicle.

Grab was a great experience.

At the airport I called for a Grab, and not to save 30 BHT but to pay abour 35 BHT more than the flat rate taxi price.

Why? For the reasons stated above, plus:

a) They charge my credit card.

I don't have to fumble with money in the dark nor play the "I don't have change" driver game.

b) My cc gives me points for this which gives me several % back.

c) No incentive for the driver to long haul as it's a fixed price.

No worries if there is a traffic jam as it's a fixed price.

(These are 2 more reasons I use Grab in general. In the case of the CM airport they don't apply as the taxis also have a fixed rate).

d) Grab has promotions with further discounts periodically.

e) I haven't read of Grab drivers attacking other drivers or customers, unlike the taxi drivers.

On 10/5/2018 at 1:49 AM, Galactus said:

same as in every touristic city on earth. and believe me, sooner or later, grab taxi guys also start to do the same, have a look:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k10149129-Beware_of_scam_drivers_with_Bangkok_GRAB_Taxi-Bangkok.html

NOTE -

1) This person did not book a Grab Car, but a Grab Taxi. This is a regular Taxi that has contracted to also take Grab customers.

If this was a deliberate scam, it was perpetrated by a Taxi driver, not the driver of a Grab Car, which is the only thing I book with Grab.

2) Grab gives a fixed price for a trip which one agrees to when booking the ride.

I do not understand how the person in the TA link did not have a fixed price before leaving.

I've never booked a Grab Taxi but I thought they also give a fixed price for the trip.

EDIT - I'm sure I've seen fixed prices for Grab Taxis.

Perhaps 1.5 years ago it was done differently?

I use a credit card with Grab - it is advantageous in numerous ways.

6 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Personal accountability being high on the list, no anonymous drivers nor passengers. 

On 10/8/2018 at 11:47 PM, SpeakeasyThai said:

Did you pay income tax ?

Do you write your own traffic tickets?

On 10/11/2018 at 4:42 AM, CLW said:
On 10/10/2018 at 7:00 AM, hobz said:

Definitely they do "surge pricing" as does Uber and I imagine Lyft.

When in the midst of a rainy season downpour, watch the price increase (probably double or more).

15 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Using a credit card has one downside. They can adjust the price afterwards. 

When taking a grab from the airport I was quoted like 100 and then the next day they tried to add like 50 more as some type of airport fee. I paid cash so I was supposed to pay this extra amount next time I ride.. I told customer service that I refuse and they corrected it.

My friend took an Uber into town. And then back out of town. Charged around 200 in total. Using credit card. The next day she woke up and the charge was 700 because the trip went outside some imaginary line that made it a 350 THB fixed price. She never got that 500 back...

I wouldn't worry about it too much as grab customer service has always been fair and responsive.. but if they become anything like Uber I wouldn't use my CC with them...

Just now, JimmyJ said:

I don't understand this. Who/what is central group and why will it stop this sort of problem?

They are a big company in thailand and they own a lot of stuff and they may be buying grab. Grab like uber is a monster business. The biz model is geared towards driverless cars in the future and they think it's going to happen within 20 years. Then driving a car will be banned as it's too dangerous.