Video: "Welcome to Chiang Mai" - tourists forced to leave GrabCar as tempers flare

webfact

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Some welcome !, why does Thailand keep shooting itself in the foot,

surely there's enough tourists around for everyone to make a living,

There will never be a real public transport system in Chiang Mai,as

the Tuk-Tuk ,and Red truck drivers will not allow it,and this has been

going on for years.

regards worgeordie

There is quite a reasonable bus service running in Chiang Mai now, fare is either 2obaht or 30baht.  There are even bus stops and timetables.

Red Song Taews bumped their fares up 50% earlier this year and now 30baht in the city, Yellow song taews seem to be cheaper.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grab is legal ,if it was me and I was a taxi driver I would moonlight as a grab driver that way you get the best of both worlds ...... But taxi and tuk tuk drivers are lazy and like to drink smoke and sleep so just pickup that one unsuspecting tourist over charge the hell outta him and buy more Hong Kong job done .when the tourist stop coming to Thailand , which they will ,then you will see how bad these cowboys are ,the end of tourism is coming once the Chinese find a place they don't die in .the European are not coming here anymore as they can't party all night and it's getting too expensive for most and the strong baht means us oldies are going somewhere else 

There is quite a reasonable bus service running in Chiang Mai now, fare is either 2obaht or 30baht.  There are even bus stops and timetables.
Red Song Taews bumped their fares up 50% earlier this year and now 30baht in the city, Yellow song taews seem to be cheaper.
Is it a real bus or shared songthaews like the baht busses in Pattaya?

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Some welcome !, why does Thailand keep shooting itself in the foot,

surely there's enough tourists around for everyone to make a living,

There will never be a real public transport system in Chiang Mai,as

the Tuk-Tuk ,and Red truck drivers will not allow it,and this has been

going on for years.

regards worgeordie

There is regular cabs but they charge pretty ridiculous fees. Almost Phuket/Samui levels ....

Grab is the way to go.... Usually no problem ...

Back in February I took an Uber driver in the suburbs of Changmai since there were no “public transportation” to take me back to my hotel. It was a pleasant experience and cheaper than in the morning when I paid a songtaew driver. 

Get rid of these hotheads!!!!

If the present "taxi Thai mafia" operatives  had some courtesy, stopped wanting to overcharge all the time, 

tried at least to look like they enjoyed their work, showed respect  & drove properly (like Bluebird in in Indonesia) nobody would want to use any other kind of taxi.

The ball has been in their court for many years but they just do not have the intellect 

nor desire to pick it up

Just now, natway09 said:

If the present "taxi Thai mafia" operatives  had some courtesy, stopped wanting to overcharge all the time, 

tried at least to look like they enjoyed their work, showed respect  & drove properly (like Bluebird in in Indonesia) nobody would want to use any other kind of taxi.

The ball has been in their court for many years but they just do not have the intellect 

nor desire to pick it up

Yeah, I never ever saw or heard of anyone in Chiang Mai turning on the meter ... But it says meter taxi .. but they always refuse... Go figure.

14 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Taxi mafia scum again? This is Thailand's reputation in a nutshell.

Yeah.. you should see how they drive like they own the roads as well.. lane blocked up for seemingly no reason? Must be a red car ... And no, I'm not talking about when they pick up/ drop off.

2 hours ago, Deli said:

It's not that the taxi mob wants to make a living, they are lazy, full of envy and wanna become rich, whilst sitting in their lazy arse.

Not a single Bath they make with me.

Plus they think they are powerful and can make the rules, plus they think they are entitled. 

5 hours ago, wendyfromoz said:

plenty of tourists to go around

i was in chiang mai last weekend there was nobody there .the night market was dead the daytime was like a ghost town bars shops girls all say the same thing worst year ever.i can only go back 7 years as i have only lived hear that long but it will get worse as the tourist dwindle .even the expat scene ws quiet .think they need to devalue the baht ange he europeans back as they are the ones that spend money in the right areas o keep everybody happy 

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

In a previous life I was a Taxi driver back home for 28 yrs. It was a very rigorous system to get into the Taxi business. First off, one had to have an almost exemplary police record (a bag snatcher or molester would not be the most suitable person for the job).

Secondly, you had to have a thorough knowledge of the area you were seeking the licence for (city).

You had to have a car that was not over a certain age and was checked yearly, along with your meter (for not being tampered with for overcharging purposes, etc).

You had to dress respectably and have no "smells etc., in the car (body odour).  I could go on...

Then the "Hackney cabs started to appear. While they were regulated by the Government...they by no means had to go through the rigours. Many "real" Taxi men resented them greatly because they had mortgaged their homes or borrowed from the banks to set up a secure job that would earn them enough money to rear their children, send them to college and support their families. Then, all of a sudden one had this competition by people who had laid out very little money and had less expenses than the "real" Taxi man. Would a normal guy not get a bit "miffed" at this.

I would imagine that the likes of Grab and Uber would be cause for resentment for many Taxi drivers who have invested everything in the job only to see people with little or no "qualifications" being able to get behind the wheel of their car and start working at the same level...without many checks in any department...criminal past or abilities.

Nothing to do with whether there are enough customers to go around...or not.

Couldn't agree more. In my days in London the cabbies exam was notoriously tough ! Here in Melbourne I always use Silver Top because I know I'll get a professional driver who know where he's going. I'd like to say you get what you pay for, but it's not that easy since another fleet seems to employ drivers who just yesterday got off the plane ! They sure didn't take an exam ! I'm not a fan of regulation but it is necessary.  I don't use Uber or even Grab as a matter of principle, and nearly every Thai cabbie I've used over the last 15 years has been excellent. The best are really proud of their cars. So long as you avoid the Sharks hanging around the Hotels etc ????

I don't know the licensing situation in Thailand, but clearly some form of test and qualification that can be clearly displayed would at least inform Tourists that they're not getting an amatuer !

4 minutes ago, mrdjt said:

Couldn't agree more. In my days in London the cabbies exam was notoriously tough ! Here in Melbourne I always use Silver Top because I know I'll get a professional driver who know where he's going. I'd like to say you get what you pay for, but it's not that easy since another fleet seems to employ drivers who just yesterday got off the plane ! They sure didn't take an exam ! I'm not a fan of regulation but it is necessary.  I don't use Uber or even Grab as a matter of principle, and nearly every Thai cabbie I've used over the last 15 years has been excellent. The best are really proud of their cars. So long as you avoid the Sharks hanging around the Hotels etc ????

I don't know the licensing situation in Thailand, but clearly some form of test and qualification that can be clearly displayed would at least inform Tourists that they're not getting an amatuer !

That's the thing.. I would rather go with "an amateur" with honest pricing than get overcharged by a rude "professional".

Grab has a scoring system. If someone is driving like a moron they will get downvoted and will not get rides anymore.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

In a previous life I was a Taxi driver back home for 28 yrs. It was a very rigorous system to get into the Taxi business. First off, one had to have an almost exemplary police record (a bag snatcher or molester would not be the most suitable person for the job).

Secondly, you had to have a thorough knowledge of the area you were seeking the licence for (city).

You had to have a car that was not over a certain age and was checked yearly, along with your meter (for not being tampered with for overcharging purposes, etc).

You had to dress respectably and have no "smells etc., in the car (body odour).  I could go on...

Then the "Hackney cabs started to appear. While they were regulated by the Government...they by no means had to go through the rigours. Many "real" Taxi men resented them greatly because they had mortgaged their homes or borrowed from the banks to set up a secure job that would earn them enough money to rear their children, send them to college and support their families. Then, all of a sudden one had this competition by people who had laid out very little money and had less expenses than the "real" Taxi man. Would a normal guy not get a bit "miffed" at this.

I would imagine that the likes of Grab and Uber would be cause for resentment for many Taxi drivers who have invested everything in the job only to see people with little or no "qualifications" being able to get behind the wheel of their car and start working at the same level...without many checks in any department...criminal past or abilities.

Nothing to do with whether there are enough customers to go around...or not.

Yep, I remember that too...in fact in some instances the problem did require police intervention. However, the difference here is that I don't think the Thai taxi driver has to go through anything like his London counterpart.

The 20 baht blue bus service is the future......I can get to many main points in chiangmai cheaply and quickly...and in air con comfort.....buses run every 30 minutes on set routes...

from huay kaew road I can get to central festival.....do my shopping...and return the same way......I urge all people to support this relatively new service if you want to see a typical western bus service in chiangmai......it’s a fantastic way to get around...

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

I drive myself everywhere but watching all these type of videos and had to use a taxi i would definitely use grab .

You meant if you need a grab you will grab one...:smile:

3 hours ago, ReneTH said:

Wouldn't mind using tuk tuk's more if they would be reasonable with their pricing.

Agreed. I love a good tuktuk ride, but I'm not going to pay twice what it'd cost me in a grab taxi just for the novelty value and because I'm white. 

The only time I ever use Songthaews is when leaving the airport and heading home. Easy enough to flag one down and have them drop me at my door and they're normally cheaper than airport limos from this location because they're happy for a fare leaving the airport. 

Watching these videos make me want to support grab more and more. I've always found grab drivers to be professional and cheap. 

39 minutes ago, car720 said:

I said the same thing.  In Australia taxi plates cost upwards of half a million dollars.

So who ends up paying for that? Just because you had to pay it, does not mean it is a good system needing to be kept going. GPS means anyone can find their way around. Police checks are good and cheap. More regular car safety checks fairly cheap. Grab and Uber could easily implement these. As for half a million dollars - pointless and just used to justify high fares.

I have never used grab but next time in LOS I will. Grab seams to get far less complaints than taxis and tuk tuks but there are not as many of them.

I have traveled to many countries and taxis are by far the most annoying things I have to deal with. I will say that in developed countries taxi drivers are great and rarely give any problems but they do cost a fortune.

3 hours ago, orchis said:

Recently in Kuala Lumpur; the airport and shopping malls have especially designated Grab waiting areas and parking spots, no conflicts there.

I can't remember the name of the mall here in Bangkok Fashion Island or Fashion Mall something like that they have the same thing  grab taxi waiting area

3 hours ago, ReneTH said:

I live in CM too, always use the motorbike but otherwise a grab; affordable, friendly drivers, safe etc. 
It are the the red trucks that cause danger and small traffic jams in the city all the time but they clearly have a maffia style power in place together with the tuk tuk's. 

Wouldn't mind using tuk tuk's more if they would be reasonable with their pricing. 

Hope the suckers get problems over this but most likely a 1000 baht fine and it's done.

The use of tuk-tuk is ok for very short distances only and outside the city center where the chance is limited to be robbed by passing motorbikes...

For a safe and more comfortable ride and without an increased cost its wise to grab a grab WHEN its not any angry taxi drivers near by...:smile:

Welcome to Chiang Mai indeed.  I guess the Thai authorities feel that there are so many millions of Chinese that they will keep on coming regardless of what happens to them in Thailand.  But the Chinese government uses its tourist dollars to its advantage and redirects tours elsewhere, if it is dissatisfied with a particular country.

Archived