BANGKOK 27 March 2019 03:39
webfact

Video: "Welcome to Chiang Mai" - tourists forced to leave GrabCar as tempers flare

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Some welcome !, why does Thailand keep shooting itself in the foot,

surely there's enough tourists around for everyone to make a living,

There will never be a real public transport system in Chiang Mai,as

the Tuk-Tuk ,and Red truck drivers will not allow it,and this has been

going on for years.

regards worgeordie

There is quite a reasonable bus service running in Chiang Mai now, fare is either 2obaht or 30baht.  There are even bus stops and timetables.

Red Song Taews bumped their fares up 50% earlier this year and now 30baht in the city, Yellow song taews seem to be cheaper.

Grab is legal ,if it was me and I was a taxi driver I would moonlight as a grab driver that way you get the best of both worlds ...... But taxi and tuk tuk drivers are lazy and like to drink smoke and sleep so just pickup that one unsuspecting tourist over charge the hell outta him and buy more Hong Kong job done .when the tourist stop coming to Thailand , which they will ,then you will see how bad these cowboys are ,the end of tourism is coming once the Chinese find a place they don't die in .the European are not coming here anymore as they can't party all night and it's getting too expensive for most and the strong baht means us oldies are going somewhere else 

• Like 2

There is quite a reasonable bus service running in Chiang Mai now, fare is either 2obaht or 30baht.  There are even bus stops and timetables.
Red Song Taews bumped their fares up 50% earlier this year and now 30baht in the city, Yellow song taews seem to be cheaper.
Is it a real bus or shared songthaews like the baht busses in Pattaya?

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Some welcome !, why does Thailand keep shooting itself in the foot,

surely there's enough tourists around for everyone to make a living,

There will never be a real public transport system in Chiang Mai,as

the Tuk-Tuk ,and Red truck drivers will not allow it,and this has been

going on for years.

regards worgeordie

There is regular cabs but they charge pretty ridiculous fees. Almost Phuket/Samui levels ....

Grab is the way to go.... Usually no problem ...

Back in February I took an Uber driver in the suburbs of Changmai since there were no “public transportation” to take me back to my hotel. It was a pleasant experience and cheaper than in the morning when I paid a songtaew driver. 

Get rid of these hotheads!!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, johng said:

What a disgusting "welcome to Chaingmai"  !!!!

Hope that the tourists will spread the word.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Netease said:

What these thugs don't realize is they are advertising for the Grab company

Haha true, there's a Buddhist teaching / saying. What you resist persists. Its often true.

Just now, natway09 said:

If the present "taxi Thai mafia" operatives  had some courtesy, stopped wanting to overcharge all the time, 

tried at least to look like they enjoyed their work, showed respect  & drove properly (like Bluebird in in Indonesia) nobody would want to use any other kind of taxi.

The ball has been in their court for many years but they just do not have the intellect 

nor desire to pick it up

Yeah, I never ever saw or heard of anyone in Chiang Mai turning on the meter ... But it says meter taxi .. but they always refuse... Go figure.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Taxi mafia scum again? This is Thailand's reputation in a nutshell.

Yeah.. you should see how they drive like they own the roads as well.. lane blocked up for seemingly no reason? Must be a red car ... And no, I'm not talking about when they pick up/ drop off.

• Thanks 1

The shirt should display it as it is:

"Your money is welcomed,- and now #$%*& off!"

2 hours ago, Deli said:

It's not that the taxi mob wants to make a living, they are lazy, full of envy and wanna become rich, whilst sitting in their lazy arse.

Not a single Bath they make with me.

Plus they think they are powerful and can make the rules, plus they think they are entitled. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wendyfromoz said:

plenty of tourists to go around

i was in chiang mai last weekend there was nobody there .the night market was dead the daytime was like a ghost town bars shops girls all say the same thing worst year ever.i can only go back 7 years as i have only lived hear that long but it will get worse as the tourist dwindle .even the expat scene ws quiet .think they need to devalue the baht ange he europeans back as they are the ones that spend money in the right areas o keep everybody happy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1