Chinese tourist in Pattaya dies after "chicken foot" gets stuck in his throat

webfact

5 hours ago, wendyfromoz said:

who on earth eats chicken feet they are just bones

Thais & other SE Asians. Apparently the Chinese like them also.

Next time you are in a supermarket over here, pop round to the meat counter. Next to the Chicken breasts and Chicken drumsticks and Chicken thighs, are Chicken feet. They are also priced more expensive than breast per kg. Which surprised me.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I have to agree with you on that, unless I've missed something?

I once had a German Shepherd who had something in common with Chinese gourmet buffet rotary hoes: she swallowed in whole. First of all, I wouldn't eat anything that was placed in chicken manure for a while.

Especially not after I became aware of this:

2018-05-25%2008%20Thai%20workers%20caugh

However, in my hood they sell around 5 kilo of this "delicacy" everyday fried in oil not changed for a week. Enjoy your meal!

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

A delicacy for Chinese and quite tasty if cooked correctly. It was the part of the chicken that may producers used to throw away now they have made their fortunes from them.

I wonder if this is why chicken breast is soo cheap here, its like the throw away meat.

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

A delicacy for Chinese and quite tasty if cooked correctly. It was the part of the chicken that may producers used to throw away now they have made their fortunes from them.

Didn't notice any the last time I went for a Chinese.

6 hours ago, nikmar said:

the bone / cartilage is apparently good for you....calcium I think. my Thai Mum sits there with a raw foot in her mouth while she watches TV. It looks disgusting but she loves chewing and sucking the damn thing.

She could try toe nail cuttings, just as much calcium but so much more discrete.

9 hours ago, nikmar said:

the bone / cartilage is apparently good for you....calcium I think. my Thai Mum sits there with a raw foot in her mouth while she watches TV. It looks disgusting but she loves chewing and sucking the damn thing.

If you enjoy sucking that disgusting thingy, you can suck anything ! 

In ancient times, before skin care products emerged, Chinese women used to consume animal parts rich in tendon , cartilage and collagen such as chicken feet, pig skin, pig trotters, regularly to nourish their facial skin to look youthful.  

2 hours ago, BigT73 said:

I wonder if this is why chicken breast is soo cheap here, its like the throw away meat.

Chicken parts are considered delicacy. By product is the breast which is tasteless and has no texture or taste of its own.

New Zealand used to export ‘near worthless ‘ duck’s tongue to Taiwan where it is considered a delicacy ... to this day . 

9 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I have to agree with you on that, unless I've missed something?

Yes you missed the skin, the traditional sauce they are normally cooked in is rather nice, overall not to healthy I would guess

Luckily it's mainly a Chinese thing

9 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Chinese women used to consume animal parts rich in tendon , cartilage and collagen such as chicken feet, pig skin, pig trotters, regularly to nourish their facial skin to look youthful.  

Doesn't seem to work too well does it.

It seems to me that either there are so many chinese here, such that the numbers dying of various mishaps are statistically in line with happenings in the general population, or if not so many here, they are a singularly delicate and accident-prone lot!

On 10/2/2018 at 10:14 AM, nikmar said:

Are you sure they are raw?

Raw chicken meat (I guess including the cartillage and so on in the foot) can be deadly because of Salmonella and Campylobacter bacteria.

Archived