A job for Big Joke? Immigration bribes claim at Don Mueang in wake of attack on tourist

webfact

A job for Big Joke? Immigration bribes claim at Don Mueang in wake of attack on tourist

7ppm.jpg

Thaivisa file photo

Chinese social media was abuzz with claims about what led to the assault on one of their nationals at Don Mueang airport. 

There are suggestions that the man refused to pay 300 baht on top of his visa cost because he was not getting a receipt for the extra money. This led ultimately to him being hit by a security guard.

Daily News called it a case of an "under the table payment". 

Now the upper echelons of Thai government are demanding an investigation into bribery.

Surachai Liangbunlertchai a deputy at the National Legislative Assembly indicated to reporters that an investigation is required in response to the social media claims. 

The damaging event for Thai tourism could get worse if bribery is shown to be the root cause of the resulting violence. 

Crime buster Maj-Gen Surachate Hakpan took over as the commissioner of immigration on Monday.

The Maj-Gen - known as Big Joke in the media - said on taking up the position that he intended to enforce a "No Tip" policy with signage at immigration centers. 

Thaivisa notes that the fallout from the assault of the Chinese tourist could be at the top of his jobs to do list in the first week of his new position. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-02

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, webfact said:

the man refused to pay 300 baht on top of his visa cost because he was not getting a receipt for the extra money. This led ultimately to him being hit by a security guard.

Now I know why I'm so ugly, with a face like a bag of spanners. Must be my constant refusal to pay bribes.

36 minutes ago, webfact said:

he was not getting a receipt for the extra money.

Did he expect one? Definitely a tourist then.

I cant remember the amount of times I have "paid" for a service at immigration and got no receipt.

Seems to be standard operating procedure. Not just the traffic cops who like a bit of tea money.

My quandary is just who to believe, knowing that, in the wake of yesterday's self-defensive right-hook media explosion, the Chinese would love to be able to get something on this 300 baht scam, even if it's all pie in the sky. Still, it makes for fun viewing, if not as comedy-driven as the political threads . . . and they do make me laugh.

45 minutes ago, webfact said:

Now the upper echelons of Thai government are demanding an investigation into bribery.

And while they're at it, perhaps they could investigate the 'bribe' money for getting a certificat of residence, which is supposed to be free of charge.

20 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

And while they're at it, perhaps they could investigate the 'bribe' money for getting a certificat of residence, which is supposed to be free of charge.

I got nailed at Jomtien last month when I needed one for my new driving licence. 1,000 baht. When I said I thought it was free, I was told, not for a long time. No receipt of course, so this is definitely not an isolated case. Big Joke is going to be working his nuts off for a very long time to come.

33 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

Question is can BJ make the divisions and deal with the issues effectively without a camera crew?

Divisions should read decisions, sorry not paying attention to the phones auto interferance.

Tips for the counter officer is normal in some asean countries. Funny Chinese visitors seem to be disproportionately targeted. Maybe they thought the Chinese are more understanding of the tipping culture where they come from?  I remembered once I drove a Chinese visitor from Singapore across the causeway Malaysian immigration between southern Malaysia  and Singapore. Imagine my surprise when he slipped in a US$50 in the passport. When queried , he informed me that he was asked for a tip the last time he entered. I told him to put the $ away and we got thru ok. Seems the immigration officer pick and choose who to ‘tip’ on. It is not endemic in my belief. Maybe the same for the Thai officer? Adapting a small tip policy in around third world cultures make the traveling so much smoother and less of a headache. Making a song and dance does not help matter. See where it go the chinaman? 

Use Chinese to solve taxi driver... Video Chinese getting ripped by taxi so police will be forced to treat the issue... Actually let use Chinese plus video to all real matters needed to be taken care in Thailand... Win win situation.

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

Don't do as we do, do as we say !

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The damaging event for Thai tourism could get worse if bribery is shown to be the root cause of the resulting violence. 

How could it be damaging for tourism? Bribery to officials and violence from officials are part of the culture, and culture is supposed to be a tourist magnet. Just market the incident correctly.

I got hassled at Suvarnabhumi airport in January this year by Immigration Officer....he basically wanted something from me to get a 30 day entry stamp because in his words "come Thailand many time"...he ushered me around to the side saying "don't show don't show"....so l gave him a 100bht note.

At the time he never looked at how much l gave him....l can only hope he was pissed off.

What a joke this country is when you can bribe your way in for 2 quid. 

1 minute ago, klauskunkel said:
2 hours ago, webfact said:

How could it be damaging for tourism? Bribery to officials and violence from officials are part of the culture, and culture is supposed to be a tourist magnet. Just market the incident correctly.

I can't wait to see how TAT put their spin on this:

Visit Thailand and experience the culture first-hand as you are thumped in the face when refusing to pay a bribe to an immigration official.

Amazing Thailand - as you (and you face) swell with pride!

We all know, Thai career positioning is highly influenced by ones creative ability, and proven track record in "fundraising".  Question: what would the estimated price be for a top job at immigration?  

1 hour ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I got nailed at Jomtien last month when I needed one for my new driving licence. 1,000 baht. When I said I thought it was free, I was told, not for a long time. No receipt of course, so this is definitely not an isolated case. Big Joke is going to be working his nuts off for a very long time to come.

I have had many from Jomtien and have never been asked or heard of anyone paying 1000 baht.

The going price is 300 baht.

Sorry but I don't believe for 1 minute you were charged 1000 baht.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I cant remember the amount of times I have "paid" for a service at immigration and got no receipt.

I was never ask for any money the moments I entered Thailand and when I did my extensions in Chiang Mai and later Lampang, I always got the 100 bht in return with receipt.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Seems to be standard operating procedure. Not just the traffic cops who like a bit of tea money.

I am happy to say that I cannot remember the times either.  Because I never been asked for one in our Immigration office.  I have some issues of the way they do some things (like have rules that are not in the Thai Govt website) but I have never been asked for a bribe or an extra fee.

Edit:  I admit I was once told by a "grumpy old man" that I was overdue on my 90 day report and due for a fine of 2,000 baht.   I told him I was 4 whole days into my 7 day grace period and I was not liable for a fine.  He thought twice and handed me over to his "cohort" to agree with him.  This second grumpy old man tried to cover for his friend said "not to do it again and he wouldn't fine me this time."  A pity actually as I had time on my hands and was quite confident of a win.  I had my next move worked out.  Go to the office next door where I am well known and complain.  Rumour has it that they were transferred from another office in the province for the same tactics and I have only seen either of them just that once.  Lets hope they are gone for ever.   Last time for my 90 day, I was in & out in like, 2 minutes.  Everyone young, female, polite, efficient and smiling. 

1 hour ago, harada said:

A Thai woman once told me that farangs are just walking ATM machines, and the first withdrawal starts at the airport, here's proof.

Maybe borrow the working CCTVs from 7-11 and use these in immigration for a while.

1 hour ago, Ctkong said:

Tips for the counter officer is normal in some asean countries. Funny Chinese visitors seem to be disproportionately targeted. Maybe they thought the Chinese are more understanding of the tipping culture where they come from?  I remembered once I drove a Chinese visitor from Singapore across the causeway Malaysian immigration between southern Malaysia  and Singapore. Imagine my surprise when he slipped in a US$50 in the passport. When queried , he informed me that he was asked for a tip the last time he entered. I told him to put the $ away and we got thru ok. Seems the immigration officer pick and choose who to ‘tip’ on. It is not endemic in my belief. Maybe the same for the Thai officer? Adapting a small tip policy in around third world cultures make the traveling so much smoother and less of a headache. Making a song and dance does not help matter. See where it go the chinaman? 

Chinese tip! You have to be joking!

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Yep, like 3  months back being redirected to the door for passport stamping on exit for elderly people. Along with mention of 100Baht, which I ignored.

Archived