A job for Big Joke? Immigration bribes claim at Don Mueang in wake of attack on tourist

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, dave moir said:

Chinese tip! You have to be joking!

At restaurants their favourite word is taobao (takehome). they will shove leftovers in their handbag if they have to.

I tried to tip a few times whilst in china, they didnt know how to handle it and quickly returned the money as it was so foreign to them, so different to thais.

3 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Question is can BJ make the divisions and deal with the issues effectively without a camera crew?

Camera crews are ready. Big joke goes up on the podium. Cameras flashing. Kapum. Kapum.

Big joke starts talking: there has been problems with bribery in the past. But I have talked with everyone and they have promised to stop taking bribes. If anyone is asked to pay a bribe they should call me directly and I will come and fix it. *Applause* cameras flashing. Kapum. Kapum.

We have implemented a no tipping policy to complement the law. The officers that previously broke the law will not be breaking the policy. Because policy has the word police in it. *Break for laughs and applause*. Case solved forever. Big joke style.

My first ever trip to immigration over here was to get a multiple re-entry visa. Long ass line that I happened to be near the front of. Handed my 4000b over (3800b for multiple re-entry at the time) and the guy told me that he didn't have change, so if I wanted change, I would have to go off and get it and then go to the back of the line. Unsurprisingly, he wound up getting a 200b tip. The next time I went back, they had a questionnaire about your visit to immigration. Initially they just asked me to write my name at the top, presumably they were going to fill it out on my behalf. One of the questions was "have you been asked to pay a bribe during your visit today". Evenif you said yes, you still had to hand it back to the person who presumably would have been the one that asked you for your bribe. 

Logic. 

3 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Tips for the counter officer is normal in some asean countries. Funny Chinese visitors seem to be disproportionately targeted. Maybe they thought the Chinese are more understanding of the tipping culture where they come from?  I remembered once I drove a Chinese visitor from Singapore across the causeway Malaysian immigration between southern Malaysia  and Singapore. Imagine my surprise when he slipped in a US$50 in the passport. When queried , he informed me that he was asked for a tip the last time he entered. I told him to put the $ away and we got thru ok. Seems the immigration officer pick and choose who to ‘tip’ on. It is not endemic in my belief. Maybe the same for the Thai officer? Adapting a small tip policy in around third world cultures make the traveling so much smoother and less of a headache. Making a song and dance does not help matter. See where it go the chinaman? 

What utter rubbish...a visa is paid for and you really think its ok to have to pay whatever the IO of the day feels...,..idiots with that attitude have caused the problem.There is NO extra fee at Thai immigration

lets just hope that the pot gets stirred real hard. facing actual consequences such as loosing face to the chinese could actual put things in motion. younger chinese are highly educated and well travelled, why should anyone keep up with the random bs that gets thrown in our way. the growing pains of the banana republic are loud and dreadful but we all have to grow up and face reality. things that dont want to develop will eventually die out and disappear. 

Looks like the new "broom" is going to have his work cut out !!!

He liked traveling before I hope he's packed his suitcase because he's going to be busy trying to cover all the border points !!!

Within the immigration system there's a lot of corruption... just hope he has the spine to stand up against a well oiled money machine !!

An investigation will surely reveal that no bribe was demanded. But Chinese social media will not believe that and will keep showing the clip with the security officer taking the swing at the Chubese tourist and pushing him in the chest without any provocation from the tourist visible on the clip, even if he actually started the aggression.

6 minutes ago, zzidenn said:

lets just hope that the pot gets stirred real hard. facing actual consequences such as loosing face to the chinese could actual put things in motion. younger chinese are highly educated and well travelled, why should anyone keep up with the random bs that gets thrown in our way. the growing pains of the banana republic are loud and dreadful but we all have to grow up and face reality. things that dont want to develop will eventually die out and disappear. 

Good point. The Chinese might be known for being rude. But China has highest average iq in the world and the younger ones are social media savvy etc... Problem is that Thais are pretty bad at fixing obvious problems so this will simply deter the higher level Chinese and leave only the china trash horses left...zero baht bus tours etc..looks good for numbers but horrible for Thailand.

RE - There are suggestions that the man refused to pay 300 baht on top of his visa cost because he was not getting a receipt for the extra money. This led ultimately to him being hit by a security guard.

Its first when you are caught red handed you start questioning something that has been and still is mandatory - funny...:smile:

Look to the reason why people in such low positions ask for bribes.  Pay a decent living wage and perhaps the culture of bribery would diminish some.  If I earned a lousy wage for having to deal with snot-nosed travellers all day, I'd want a backhander every now and then, too.  

Tell me Big Joke has never taken a bribe.  555 It's laughable. He's Thai. Of course he has.

5 hours ago, Vacuum said:

And while they're at it, perhaps they could investigate the 'bribe' money for getting a certificat of residence, which is supposed to be free of charge.

Yes, I have had that also. I was also told 2 week's ago I could not get a certificate of residence as I had just come back from holiday in the UK and did not have a valid 90 day report which I could not get for another 3 months as I was just stamped into the country on a re- entry visa. This despite owning snd living in the same condo for 6 years.฿2000 for a bit of paper from my embassy along with a certified translation. In order to comply with Thai motoring law. They would not accept a copy at the land transport. So when I need it again ฿2000. Sorry about off topic.

2 hours ago, wvavin said:

This country is nothing but corruption at every level!

It is what it is.... be prepared to pay at every level if you want things to go smoothly. ... some call it corruption. Some call it greasing the wheels.. I will go with the latter. 

1 hour ago, BigT73 said:

At restaurants their favourite word is taobao (takehome). they will shove leftovers in their handbag if they have to.

I tried to tip a few times whilst in china, they didnt know how to handle it and quickly returned the money as it was so foreign to them, so different to thais.

Chinese culture do not look kindly towards tipping per se unlike American culture. Chinese look upon handing out your hand for tips as begging . Begger class. Service they do but begging they are not comfortable with. I had left tips on the pillow numerous times in china hotels and most of the times, the money was placed gently back on the pillow after housekeeping was done. Maybe they are thinking that I am entrapping them by leaving some money around ????

If this were just a one off demand for a bribe we might be sceptical. However everyone who has been here for any length of time knows the level of accepted corruption within the rejime. Even tourists in Sukumvit and Silom are being harassed for "donations" to the Police officer. It is no surprise then to anyone that it is happening on the front line so to speak, as you enter the "system"! Welcome to Thailand, where you can still experience the old days of corruption, a total lack of safety and the blatent non- implementation of the law.

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

What utter rubbish...a visa is paid for and you really think its ok to have to pay whatever the IO of the day feels...,..idiots with that attitude have caused the problem.There is NO extra fee at Thai immigration

I wonder how people like you ever get to live in Asean countries and not understand the mind set. ...there are always extra fees ,big or small. Thai immigration also pick and choose victims. NOT everyone has to pay... welcome to the real ASEAN world. 

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Welcome to Thailand; Land Of Scams from the minute you enter !

And that was before he left the confines of the airport to experience a taxi scam. They're getting better at it. Now you can't even get through immigration first.

I was once leaving the country from Swampy with a new passport and was pulled aside into an office and told my passport was fake. I pulled out my phone to record the proceedings and suddenly it was 'No ploblem sir" and I was free to go.

1 hour ago, German farang said:

To me, at least, this sounds strange. I never experienced, seen or heard of such bribes at airports during the last 5 years... But what do I know? Maybe I'm to hunsom? ????????????

They do exist and they pick on the vulnerable just like the predator do. Maybe because you are white ? I know of many ASEAN people ( myanmar, Indonesian) who got the grief from the Thai IO. They had to call me up from inside the airport and let me speak to the IO to vouch for them. 

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And that was before he left the confines of the airport to experience a taxi scam. They're getting better at it. Now you can't even get through immigration first.

I was once leaving the country from Swampy with a new passport and was pulled aside into an office and told my passport was fake. I pulled out my phone to record the proceedings and suddenly it was 'No ploblem sir" and I was free to go.

I believe your story. They pick their victims and are opportunistic.

They got rid of the alien Farang, then the Russians and now they are working on the top quality tourism segment from China. 

How arrogant does one have to be - cherish tourists and do away with this visa crap. Let them in for a month and start enforcing the law - in case they do not leave. All those hotels and TM30s and god-what-else-have-yous made Thailand years ago already to a East German Stasi state; they know EXACTLY where those infidel non-Thais are; if they only wanted to. 

Meanwhile they cream little "tips" off and countless "visa" services are minting money to no end! 

1 hour ago, hobz said:

Good point. The Chinese might be known for being rude. But China has highest average iq in the world and the younger ones are social media savvy etc... Problem is that Thais are pretty bad at fixing obvious problems so this will simply deter the higher level Chinese and leave only the china trash horses left...zero baht bus tours etc..looks good for numbers but horrible for Thailand.

The higher net worth chinese had already bypassed Thailand. Just like the high net worth Thais, they visit other well developed countries with proper amenities to match. Only the rural country folks from China would come visit thailand . Chinese rural country folks are curious about the outside world and they like traveling. Unlike Caucasian countries. I have met country folks from Australia, America and Canada who had never ever left their country of origin all their lives! 

37 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

Yes, I have had that also. I was also told 2 week's ago I could not get a certificate of residence as I had just come back from holiday in the UK and did not have a valid 90 day report which I could not get for another 3 months as I was just stamped into the country on a re- entry visa. This despite owning snd living in the same condo for 6 years.฿2000 for a bit of paper from my embassy along with a certified translation. In order to comply with Thai motoring law. They would not accept a copy at the land transport. So when I need it again ฿2000. Sorry about off topic.

2000b is double what you pay in Chiang Mai. Even the bribes are more expensive in Bangkok!

28 minutes ago, SammyT said:

2000b is double what you pay in Chiang Mai. Even the bribes are more expensive in Bangkok!

Think you will find that the 2,000b is the embassy charge for a certificate of residence, not Immigration. The embassy charges tend to be an even bigger rip off.

2 hours ago, falangjim said:

Look to the reason why people in such low positions ask for bribes.  Pay a decent living wage and perhaps the culture of bribery would diminish some.  If I earned a lousy wage for having to deal with snot-nosed travellers all day, I'd want a backhander every now and then, too.  

Tell me Big Joke has never taken a bribe.  555 It's laughable. He's Thai. Of course he has.

Yep and how would he have paid for his promotion If he didn't get a little extra from time to time.

1 hour ago, Ctkong said:

The higher net worth chinese had already bypassed Thailand. Just like the high net worth Thais, they visit other well developed countries with proper amenities to match. Only the rural country folks from China would come visit thailand . Chinese rural country folks are curious about the outside world and they like traveling. Unlike Caucasian countries. I have met country folks from Australia, America and Canada who had never ever left their country of origin all their lives! 

I agree about the Chinese. I regularly stay at a five-star hotel in Dubai, and like an early breakfast. The only ones there at that time are Chinese groups eating before their tour, and they are always, without exception, perfectly well behaved. Thailand attracts trash and the authorities might like to address why that is.

Archived