Stock/boullion

Jingthing

I like to use chicken stock in cooking. In the US I used to buy large cans of low cost imported chicken broth from China for this. Here, the only canned chicken broth I have found is Campbells from the US at 40 for a small can. The other options are dried boullion cubes or boullion preparations that are based on palm oil. Both of those options I find kind of vile, so I was wondering short of making stock from scratch (I am too lazy), is there another option I don't know about. Also, I am wondering if anyone knows, when you get street noodle soup in Thailand, what do they use for the stock? I am guessing the palm oil based stuff.

Tip to those in the US, I discovered this fantastic line of boullion products that are made from the actual meat and last 18 months in the fridge. Expensive, but worth it. They have chicken stock and also amazing things like lobster stock. These products are so good they are used by chefs. Their web address is superiortouch, you guess the rest.

Edited by Jingthing

I usually just throw in a stock cube or half an' ha' done widdit being careful not to add any additional salt...until the end, if required...

as a hybrid scheme ye might wanna get hold of a largish rice cooker, throw in yer chicken carcass an' cook fer a few hours on low then throw in a stock cube for the flavoring. The proportion of salt, fat, flavorings, etc from the cube to the volume of boiled 'chicken water' wid it's own fat, etc should be so small that you could control the final product easily with some salt and pepper...

just a thought...never tried it meself... :o

Yes, Knorr is the way to go. There is chicken, pork, shrimp, vegetable and beef cubes.

They require 2 cups of water per cube. Increase the water if you find them salty.

I just used the pork one last night, as I ran out of chicken.

I expected it to be too salty, but was pleasantly surprised.

c'est sacriledge! :o

it may take a whole day to do a good demi glace but you can do a big batch and freeze it.

you can even pour it into ice trays and use stock cubes (literally!) when needed in your cooking.

another good idea suggested by anthony bourdain in his 'les halles cookbook' is to have stock parties, meaning form a club of stock makers who take turns to make the stock and share amongst members, this way you never really run out.

It's OK, Gerd, even for 5-star chefs like you. :o

Sometimes I can find the Knorr cubes sans MSG. I guess that is another reason I am not so keen on Thai food; besides the high spice content, I always wake up with a bashing headache the next morning from the MSG.

Some friends brought me some excellent Italian bouillion cubes called S Martino. Veg, beef, chicken, and mushroom. No MSG.

I find the canned stock is too salty for my taste.

granted i cook for a living, but...

chicken stock is so easy to make. just boil up a whole chicken (or the bones from leftover chicken) in a pot of water, add a few onions, celery and carrot, a bay leaf and some black peppercorns and salt. Boil for about an hour, then drain the liquid (your bouillon/stock) - plus the chicken (if using a whole chicken) and veggies can be made into a soup). The stock can then be frozen for later use - so much tastier than cubes!!

Sometimes I can find the Knorr cubes sans MSG. I guess that is another reason I am not so keen on Thai food; besides the high spice content, I always wake up with a bashing headache the next morning from the MSG.

Some friends brought me some excellent Italian bouillion cubes called S Martino. Veg, beef, chicken, and mushroom. No MSG.

granted i cook for a living, but...

chicken stock is so easy to make. just boil up a whole chicken (or the bones from leftover chicken) in a pot of water, add a few onions, celery and carrot, a bay leaf and some black peppercorns and salt. Boil for about an hour, then drain the liquid (your bouillon/stock) - plus the chicken (if using a whole chicken) and veggies can be made into a soup). The stock can then be frozen for later use - so much tastier than cubes!!

But Nomad, a plop of a bouillion cube is so much easier... :D But I do agree with you on real home-made taste...

Yum, milk gravy from pork chop drippings...

OK , give it ...................... :o

the recipe that is

Oh, just read the baby type. This is really yummy after you fry up a pan of chops. Get the drippings real hot, shake in some flour and stir about and brown. La roue, baby, la roue. Then pour in drib drabs of milk while you dance to James Brown (I feel good) -- this last part is real important coz you have to get the stir rhythm -- and stir, stir, stir with a wiskie or fork. When the stuff gets thickened like, taste and add salt and pepper (oh another great song! salt and pepper...) to adjust taste and pour over mashed potatoes (oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, another great twister tune!). It is good (there we go, back to the original: I feel GOOD...nanananananana, gimme that milk gravy and I knew that I would now, nanananananana, so good bam bam, so good, bam bam that I got milk gravy, bababababaBAAAAAAAAA).

Edited by Jet Gorgon

On the topic of pork chops, don't know if this one has been posted so:

Get some chops, some onions and an apple. Fry the onion till it is soft - not browned though, then put the chops on top and add either water, white wine or stock, cook until nearly done, peel and roughly chop the apple and add to the mix. Serve with whatever you like.

On the topic of pork chops, don't know if this one has been posted so:

Get some chops, some onions and an apple. Fry the onion till it is soft - not browned though, then put the chops on top and add either water, white wine or stock, cook until nearly done, peel and roughly chop the apple and add to the mix. Serve with whatever you like.

Yep, yep, yep. Excellent recipe. Difficult to dance to though.

We make our (chicken/duck) stock almost like nomadspike's version, but sometimes we'll add leeks. Put bones in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil and lower to simmer. Skim off the foamy stuff. Add the rest of the stuff and simmer for a couple of hours. Strain and let liquid cool, put in containers and freeze.

Now saying that, there should be stock available in those long-life type containers around (not canned).

Yum, milk gravy from pork chop drippings...

OK , give it ...................... :D

the recipe that is

Oh, just read the baby type. This is really yummy after you fry up a pan of chops. Get the drippings real hot, shake in some flour and stir about and brown. La roue, baby, la roue. Then pour in drib drabs of milk while you dance to James Brown (I feel good) -- this last part is real important coz you have to get the stir rhythm -- and stir, stir, stir with a wiskie or fork. When the stuff gets thickened like, taste and add salt and pepper (oh another great song! salt and pepper...) to adjust taste and pour over mashed potatoes (oh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, another great twister tune!). It is good (there we go, back to the original: I feel GOOD...nanananananana, gimme that milk gravy and I knew that I would now, nanananananana, so good bam bam, so good, bam bam that I got milk gravy, bababababaBAAAAAAAAA).

mercy...GET DOWN, Ms JG... :o (tutsi does de splitz an' den hurls himself across de kitchen floor...eeeeeyaooowwww!!!)

Edited by tutsiwarrior