What about half Thai, half farang girls?

moontang

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lukreung as they are referred to, if they are handsome males, or attractive females they usually end up on TV or as models, a large percentage on TV soaps movies adverts etc right now are of mixed race.

Overlook them, probably not, probably just wish they could get one!

26 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Lukreung as they are referred to, if they are handsome males, or attractive females they usually end up on TV or as models, a large percentage on TV soaps movies adverts etc right now are of mixed race.

Overlook them, probably not, probably just wish they could get one!

Yes probably a case of  dog barking at an airplane!

I don't think they are overlooked by Thai guys, now and then i see some Thai-Farang lukkreung girl with a Thai boyfriend on the street.

In my experience many of them grew up without the farang father (not much different to Thai guys running away if the girl is pregnant) so they grew up with only Thai influence and their character is like any other Thai girl, they just look a bit different.

If you are talking about for example Thai-India, of which you can find a lot in Bangkok, then these are probably overlooked by Thai guys because of their usually darker skin color.

I don't think anyone would classify a Thai-Indian girl as a look-krueng. The idea of look-krueng is tied to being half Thai, half Westerner, and 99% of the time that entails having light skin and slightly Western features.

In my experience, look-kruengs can be very attractive. They may also have family ties in Western countries, giving them a leg up socially and making them higher-value.

looks wise can be attractive both male and female because of complexion and bone structure. As a person,  an example,  UK male met a luekrung in UK,  got married had a kid.  Last year sold up moves here,  spent 12 million all his life savings all in her name,  within a year she's left him and taken everything.... 

22 minutes ago, jackspade said:

I don't think anyone would classify a Thai-Indian girl as a look-krueng. The idea of look-krueng is tied to being half Thai, half Westerner, and 99% of the time that entails having light skin and slightly Western features. 

According to Thai wikipedia a child born to parents from different countries is referred to as luk kreung, so even for example a Spanish-French child would be luk kreung, but of course when Thais are talking about it they mostly mean Thai-Farang, but for example Thai-India would also be luk kreung https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/ลูกครึ่ง

53 minutes ago, jackdd said:

According to Thai wikipedia a child born to parents from different countries is referred to as luk kreung, so even for example a Spanish-French child would be luk kreung, but of course when Thais are talking about it they mostly mean Thai-Farang, but for example Thai-India would also be luk kreung https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/ลูกครึ่ง

Thank you. I think you meant to say "parents from different racial backgrounds", not "different nationalities." Thais use the term luk kreung to describe foreigners who have mixed racial parentage as well, for example a child with a Korean parent and white parent or a child with a white parent and a black parent. The earlier poster who suggested that the term luk kreung is/or ought to be reserved for Thai children with one white parent is looking at this from a very Euro-centric standpoint.

Frankly, I think this term needs to be abandoned as archaic. Literally meaning "child half" it can most charitably be translated as "mixed child." I do not believe the term "half-breed" would be an accurate translation as Thais do not use the term "luk kreung" to disparage mixed race children. While it is a generally neutral discriptive term, the word "kreung" (half) seems to me to suggest something less than whole, which has always bothered me.

In the same way that "farang" is most often used to describe Westerners in general (regardless of their skin tone), luk kreung refers to mixed race children in general, although of course here in Thailand it is most often used to describe children with a Thai parent and a non-Thai parent.

36 minutes ago, jackdd said:

To 99.9% of Thais, a Spanish-French individual would not be regarded as a look-krueng, just as a Farang.

Some rather cringe worthy prejudice is on display here. Putting aside the  pisspoor comprehension of hereditary principles and phenotypes, it seems some people assume only "white" people  qualify as a westerner.

What of the westerners who have negroid features?  Many charming and wonderful Afro Americans and western European nationals of African or Caribbean  heritage have had children with their Thai spouses/partners.

39 minutes ago, jackspade said:

In my experience, look-kruengs can be very attractive. They may also have family ties in Western countries, giving them a leg up socially and making them higher-value.

What of the swarthy Europeans from southern France/Italy, Spain, Portugal and Ireland who bring forth children after a dalliance with a Thai? The child will not necessarily have light skin or dominant western features.

Beauty is in the eye of a beholder. The reality is that many of these mixed nationality kids are the product of retired sex trade workers and their elderly clients. These women are usually unattractive, and their men  are certainly not much to look at, otherwise they would have been happily coupled in their respective homelands. Even worse, older people are more likely to produce children with intellectual and physical defects. It is an accepted fact that as we age, our DNA cannot repair itself as efficiently or as effectively as it could when we were in our early 20's. 

Obviously there are exceptions, and plenty of them, particularly when two physically fit people under the age of 35 reproduce. However, these kids are a distinct minority.

Physical characteristics are also influenced by poverty and environmental exposures. This means that the offspring of the farang and Thai who is not properly cared for and away from herbicides/pesticides/ industrial waste is going to develop some skin and hair problems.  A malnourished child will have malformed bones and an intellectual deficit. The classic example is the bar worker's child who gets sent back to the farm in rural Ubon.

So what if the child has ties to a western country? If the western parent is a retired warehouseman, or cab driver, or school teacher, this won't give much status. Perhaps amongst the sex worker demographic, but not with the majority of the Thai population who are "middle class" or the hi-so class who are not overly impressed by westerners to start with. The same social power rules apply to these people as they do to everyone else; If the person comes from a wealthy family or has social prestige (e.g. parent an important professional or business person) then the social desirability is high, even if the kid is fat and ugly.

The reality is that a Thai male at a certain age like any other male, won't turn down a piece of tail if available. A Thai female just like a western female will pleasure herself with an easy boy if he seems like fun. The fun and games usually stop once the people are in their 20's and are focused on careers, and family.

8 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

So what if the child has ties to a western country? If the western parent is a retired warehouseman, or cab driver, or school teacher, this won't give much status. Perhaps amongst the sex worker demographic, but not with the majority of the Thai population who are "middle class" or the hi-so class who are not overly impressed by westerners to start with. The same social power rules apply to these people as they do to everyone else; If the person comes from a wealthy family or has social prestige (e.g. parent an important professional or business person) then the social desirability is high, even if the kid is fat and ugly.

And what if the western parent is not a retired warehouseman, or cab driver, or school teacher? Of course he or she could be any of these things, but who's to say?

Having a passport to a Western country affords an incredible amount of opportunity. That child can, hopefully, be given a chance to migrate to their parent's homeland, if they so desire. I've seen this happen many times. No average Thai has that opportunity.

This thread has also got me pondering a couple of other questions:

1. If one parent is a foreigner, are you still expected to pay sin sot?

2. If the father of the luk kreung daughter is an older guy, and the daughter's suitor is also an older guy, how is the father going to react?

Awkward Moment Jesse

30 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I think you meant to say "parents from different racial backgrounds", not "different nationalities."

In the meantime my girlfriend woke up, and i could ask her as well: According to her luk kreung just means the parents had "different nationalities", so according to her my example from the post before that a Spanish-French child would be luk kreung was correct.

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

In the meantime my girlfriend woke up, and i could ask her as well: According to her luk kreung just means the parents had "different nationalities", so according to her my example from the post before that a Spanish-French child would be luk kreung was correct.

If you saw a Spanish-French person walking down the street, would you say to yourself, "Oh, look, there's a Spanish-French person"?  Doubt it. You would almost certainly not be able to tell.

Again, Thai person sees a Spanish-French child on the street. Thai person says, Farang.

It's virtually impossible to discern, at a glance, that an individual is of Spanish-French descent, whereas it's often quite easy to recognize that someone is most likely half-Asian and half-Western, often regardless of whether that Western is fair-skinned Norwegian or swarthy southern Portugal.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

I think there may be a language barrier in play here. According to your girlfriend's definition, a Thai person from America and a Thai person from Thailand would have a luk kreung. Don't want to interrupt her beauty sleep, but suggest checking with your girlfriend again. :biggrin:

P.S. I just read the wikipedia/th definition you provided. In my opinion, that is a very rudimentary and imprecisely worded definition. The person writing the definition is using "khon tang chat" (foreigner) to mean a person who is non-Thai (ethnic/racial) not to mean a person who is from a different nationality (state/nation). If the latter interpretion were correct, a child born from a Westerner who had acquired Thai citizenship and a Thai woman wouldn't be a luk krueng, which, of course, is not the case.

On 10/2/2018 at 9:41 PM, mauGR1 said:

Half Farang, half Thai, not likely dark skin.

Not necessarily true. Skin color is determined by the melanin, an inherited trait. However, skin color/melanin is polygenic in inheritance. Which means  no one gene determines skin color. So, a dark parent and a light parent  could have a child lighter than either, colored somewhere in between the two or darker than either; depending upon the genetic combination of the parents.

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

Not necessarily true. Skin color is determined by the melanin, an inherited trait. However, skin color/melanin is polygenic in inheritance. Which means  no one gene determines skin color. So, a dark parent and a light parent  could have a child lighter than either, colored somewhere in between the two or darker than either; depending upon the genetic combination of the parents.

Thanks, in fact i said "not likely"..

I also heard that human genes can be "dormant" up to the fourth generation, so in theory there can be surprises.

Archived