What about half Thai, half farang girls?

moontang

3 hours ago, jackspade said:

I don't think anyone would classify a Thai-Indian girl as a look-krueng. The idea of look-krueng is tied to being half Thai, half Westerner, and 99% of the time that entails having light skin and slightly Western features.

In my experience, look-kruengs can be very attractive. They may also have family ties in Western countries, giving them a leg up socially and making them higher-value.

It does depend upon the Indian. Some Indians are as light-skinned as some Anglos. Racially, Indians are Aryan, of the Indo-European racial grouping. The same group which forms the Nordic and Germanic peoples. The same  groups which conquered and interbred with the Anglos and French.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/2/2018 at 9:41 PM, mauGR1 said:

Half Farang, half Thai, not likely dark skin.

Oh really, I met and talked with a girl at Royal Garden or Central Festival selling condo's a month ago whose mother was Thai and father American Black. Have seen a few over the years and actually went out with one when I first came over who was working Walking Street. All spoke English very well.

24 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Oh really, I met and talked with a girl at Royal Garden or Central Festival selling condo's a month ago whose mother was Thai and father American Black. Have seen a few over the years and actually went out with one when I first came over who was working Walking Street. All spoke English very well.

yes, but 'Farang' means  white skin foreigner , so American Black is technically not "Farang"

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

yes, but 'Farang' means  white skin foreigner , so American Black is technically not "Farang"

The same people who claim farang ONLY means white foreigners are the same ones who take the greatest humbrage that farang is a racial slur. The vast majority of Thais use farang as a colloquial term to mean western foreigner, and the tiny minority of Thais who think that only white foreigners should be called farang were indoctrinated to do so by - you guessed it - white foreigners. :whistling:

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

The same people who claim farang ONLY means white foreigners are the same ones who take the greatest humbrage that farang is a racial slur. The vast majority of Thais use farang as a colloquial term to mean western foreigner, and the tiny minority of Thais who think that only white foreigners should be called farang were indoctrinated to do so by - you guessed it - white foreigners. :whistling:

Sorry, i think you are wrong, perhaps you should look at the historical origin of the word.

I don't take any umbrage for anything, when in the past i asked to some Thai how they define Americans Blacks, the most common answer was "Farang Dahm"

23 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Sorry, i think you are wrong, perhaps you should look at the historical origin of the word.

I don't take any umbrage for anything, when in the past i asked to some Thai how they define Americans Blacks, the most common answer was "Farang Dahm"

It's not about the historical origin of the word, which is debatable and almost no Thais are aware of anyway. Next time you see an African-American in Thailand, ask them how Thais refer to them. They'll tell you it's not farang dam, but simply farang. Yes, if a Thai person was trying to identify one foreigner vs another foreigner and one was black, they could easily do so by describing one as farang piw dam or farang dam, but most often when identifying a specific person isn't important the term farang would be used to describe Westerns in general. Also, if someone is using the term "farang dam" to mean a non-white Westerner, then to mean a white Westerner, wouldn't you have to say farang khao (white), which nobody does? Farang dam means a foreigner who is black, which supports my contention that the word 'farang' alone means foreigner. Farang dam doesn't mean a white foreigner who is black, does it? It means a black foreigner. Definitely undermines the argument that the word farang only means "white foreigner."

2 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Thais don't obsess about skin color the way foreigners do. You think they're running around talking about Thai dam, Lao dam,

It's not about the historical origin of the word, which is debatable and almost no Thais are aware of anyway. Next time you see an African-American in Thailand, ask them how Thais refer to them. They'll tell you it's not farang dam, but simply farang. Yes, if a Thai person was trying to identify one foreigner vs another foreigner and one was black, they could easily do so by describing one as farang piw dam or farang dam, but most often when identifying a specific person isn't important the term farang would be used to describe Westerns in general. Also, if someone is using the term "farang dam" to mean a non-white Westerner, then to mean a white Westerner, wouldn't you have to say farang khao (white), which nobody does? Farang dam means a foreigner who is black, which supports my contention that the word 'farang' alone means foreigner. Farang dam doesn't mean a white foreigner who is black, does it? It means a black foreigner. Definitely undermines the argument that the word farang only means "white foreigner."

Ok, we can agree to disagree.

I never said that Thais are " running around talking about Thai dam and Lao dam".

That's only in your imagination.

If you are honest, don't put words in my mouth.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Farang dam doesn't mean a white foreigner who is black, does it? It means a black foreigner. Definitely undermines the argument that the word farang only means "white foreigner."

I disagree with this part of your post.  "Farang dam" actually supports the argument that the word farang, by default, means, at least, non-black foreigner—and maybe even white foreigner when other, supporting, adjectives are lacking!

Remember, this use of 'farang' mostly began during Vietnam, when the United States and others had thousands of (mostly caucasian) troops in SEA.

I didn't actually say you said Thais are "running around talking about Thai dam and Lao dam. I just pointed out that Thais didn't do this as an example that they don't obsess about skin color as much as westerners do. So, you are putting words in my mouth when you accuse me of putting words in your mouth. :biggrin:

By the way, if you're wondering why the part of my post that said this is no longer in my earlier post, it's because it was a fragment of an earlier draft of my post which I never intended to post in the first place. Just don't want you to think I subsequently deleted this for nefarious or dishonest reasons.

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

I didn't actually say you said Thais are "running around talking about Thai dam and Lao dam. I just pointed out that Thais didn't do this as an example that they don't obsess about skin color as much as westerners do. So, you are putting words in my mouth when you accuse me of putting words in your mouth. :biggrin:

By the way, if you're wondering why the part of my post that said this is no longer in my earlier post, it's because it was a fragment of an earlier draft of my post which I never intended to post in the first place. Just don't want you to think I subsequently deleted this for nefarious or dishonest reasons.

No probs Gecko123, btw, i appreciate your contributions to TVF, keep them coming >

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

According to your girlfriend's definition, a Thai person from America and a Thai person from Thailand would have a luk kreung.

Of course you can construct some special cases where the definition of nationality doesn't make sense, but this is something that you can do for most definitions. I think the definition "of different nationalities" is quite matching, even it doesn't fit all cases.

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

P.S. I just read the wikipedia/th definition you provided. In my opinion, that is a very rudimentary and imprecisely worded definition. The person writing the definition is using "khon tang chat" (foreigner) to mean a person who is non-Thai (ethnic/racial) not to mean a person who is from a different nationality (state/nation).

The person used "คนต่างชาติกัน" which would mean something like "foreigner (as in nationality) to each other" which matches what my girlfriend told me independently.

I am mixed white and black and Thais call me farang all the time and Thai people are caught up on skin colour that's why most of them want white skin and you only see light skin Thais on TV adverts and what not and alot of them call me dum even tho there are darker then me and they can't understand why I have brown skin if I am from England 

2 hours ago, wes360 said:

I am mixed white and black and Thais call me farang all the time and Thai people are caught up on skin colour that's why most of them want white skin and you only see light skin Thais on TV adverts and what not and alot of them call me dum even tho there are darker then me and they can't understand why I have brown skin if I am from England 

They must be dumb as well as dum.

On 10/3/2018 at 8:15 AM, jackdd said:

I don't think they are overlooked by Thai guys, now and then i see some Thai-Farang lukkreung girl with a Thai boyfriend on the street.

In my experience many of them grew up without the farang father (not much different to Thai guys running away if the girl is pregnant) so they grew up with only Thai influence and their character is like any other Thai girl, they just look a bit different.

If you are talking about for example Thai-India, of which you can find a lot in Bangkok, then these are probably overlooked by Thai guys because of their usually darker skin color.

The half black luk krung are definitely overlooked, unless they are Tiger Woods. Used to see a lot of the ones that were left behind by GIs in the Vietnam War working in bars years ago but now they are too old.  Very sad. They had few choices in Thai society other than to follow the same path as their mothers. In the late 80s there was a soap opera called "Blackie" about a black luk krung, whose nickname was Dam.  It was a sort of Cinderella story with Dam having to do all the chores in the house she lived in. 

The white luk krung were also looked down on in those days, as they were also mainly abandoned by GIs with bar girl mothers, and could also be found working in bars sometimes.  What elevated the perception of white look krung was when they started to be children of expat business executives in Thailand married to Thai women and were educated in international schools.  Up until probably around the late 70s there was a taboo from both sides about interracial marriages.  Foreign companies disapproved of executives marrying and even dating Thai women, and upper and middle class Thai family also didn't want their daughters walking out with farangs. The girls had to have a lot of brass net to do it anyway, as they are automatically assumed to be hookers while going around town with a farang.  As this taboo started breaking down and more and more male foreign executives started working in Thailand and marrying Thai women, the white luk krung daras started to hit the screens, stages and modeling studios in quantity in the 90s and the flow has never stopped.    

11 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

And Arabs are Kak Kao

8 hours ago, wes360 said:

... and alot of them call me dum even tho there are darker then me and they can't understand why I have brown skin if I am from England 

Tell them you are from the sunny shores of south England.  5555.

I spent a month in Pretoria, SA once in a Hotel, took a free newspaper and cruised the adverts - one caught my eye  "Thai Luk Krueng - massage in room, will never rub you the wrong way"  (note: gotta love the South Africans for the free press)  so just for the hell of it, I called the cell, she came by and "Bigger n Shi'ite" she was half Thai and half white S African, tallish, athletic, blue eyed Thai girl about 24.  She should have been on TV, but here she was in my hotel room...........what happened next is between us - she had friends, appears there are a lot of half-"name the country" and S African girls plying the trade...........one of her friends' mother was Singapore Chinese, father a colored S African..........whew!!!  Just got a hankering to go back for another month.:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:  The Rand to the dollar is quite attractive now.............

2 minutes ago, NonthaburiBear said:

..i would think that North Africans  are also mix race, not purely Africans who generally have strong black skin. Maybe mix of Italian... IMO . Just sayin

Not quite, i am Italian, and sure South Italians are mixed since aeons with Arabs and North Africans and Greeks.

The Berbers in Morocco and Algeria instead have light skin, and blue and green eyes are quite common.

The Mediterranean sea is a very old melting pot.

Archived