Tsunami fears: Report shows that tourists would be in trouble if a giant wave hit Thailand again

webfact

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Katipo said:

Speaking of poor signage, several years ago when I moved to Ayutthaya I saw a solitary road sign in the town for the "Ayodhya Inter Floating Market" . To this day I still have no idea where this market is. 🤔

Obviously, it's in Ayodhya, Ayutthaya's ancient twin city, located off the island to the East.

The floating market concerned is next to Pang Chang Ayutthaya.

1 hour ago, Damaz6052 said:

Nail on the head!!! The buoys of the coast of Indo haven't been functioning for some years...I am wondering if the early warning system used to protect Thailand are working or not!

No need to wonder......

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I'd be more concerned about who had taken responsibility for replacing the batteries in the sensor buoys out at sea, they were inactive for a long time because responsibility and funding for those batteries was in dispute.

rest assured, its the same crew that maintains public vans.

And you can be certain that if a tsunami did hit and wonder of wonders the sensors triggered the speakers what you would hear loud and clear is.......the National anthem. Farangs might run while Thais stood to attention facing the wave.

For tourists, the solution is simple.  Don't holiday in Phuket or on the Andaman coast.  Anywhere in the Gulf of Thailand is perfectly safe. Bkk, Hua Hin, Pattaya and more.

5 hours ago, Lupatria said:

...but I'm sure the wave of money for replacement and maintenance hit the shore in time.

It's the old 50/50 rule.

50% chance it will work. 

50% chance it won't. 

Same the funding. 

50% to the cost of maintaining. 

50% into the brown paper envelopes. 

And as the tide went out there would be a huge rush to put more deckchairs and food stalls on the extra beach front.....🤔

4 hours ago, CLW said:

I think most foreigners would know what to do. Walk away from the beach to higher grounds.
For Thais I am not sure. They have difficulties to distinguish between left and right, North and south not to mention reading a map or terrain...

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

For tourists, the solution is simple.  Don't holiday in Phuket or on the Andaman coast.  Anywhere in the Gulf of Thailand is perfectly safe. Bkk, Hua Hin, Pattaya and more.

Unless a meteor strikes the gulf. Not impossible, cf Tungaska.

9 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I'd be more concerned about who had taken responsibility for replacing the batteries in the sensor buoys out at sea, they were inactive for a long time because responsibility and funding for those batteries was in dispute.

Prawit used the funds for watch servicing 

While the military has some part of this let's face it the PT and Dens have not done much. If you look at Kamala noting has really changed.  I bet if you looked at other areas that were hit they are in the same readiness.  Let's hope that it is not something that any of us have to deal with.

4 hours ago, HHTel said:

Sure-as long as you're not a swimmer. I'd rather holiday on the Andaman and risk a rare Tsunami than in the Gulf and risk infections from the polluted sea.

Archived