Tsunami fears: Report shows that tourists would be in trouble if a giant wave hit Thailand again

webfact

11 hours ago, Crash999 said:

The signs should be upright but they clearly say head for high ground. 

One would have to be a bit lacking in the brain cells to think that means run towards the churning water. 

If they ran towards the tsunami anyway then it would be Darwin at work! 

Actually, the water receded ahead of the last Tsunami, and some Farangs (unaware of what it portended) did, in fact, walk out on the beach following the receding water. So the advice is not as stupid as it sounds, assuming the alarms give plenty of prewarning.

I think this phenomenon is what dallen52 is referring to -

7 hours ago, dallen52 said:

And as the tide went out there would be a huge rush to put more deckchairs and food stalls on the extra beach front.....????

Quite hard to believe that the infrastructure and logistics in Thailand is far from being safe and totally unprepared for another Tsunami.????

P.S. Safer to spend your money elsewhere, did somebody from TAT, whisper in my ear the other day.

Have a look on Google earth at Ko Phi Phi - after the last tsunami leveled the low areas a line was drawn from the pier to the high ground on Ko Phi Phi Don. This represented the new escape route (and road). This formerly straight road now winds confusedly through the built up area and many of the signs are long gone. If you're going to Phi Phi make sure you stay in one of the resorts up on the hill!

They weren't prepared the last time and haven't learnt any lessons. As time goes by and in general Thai memories are short I don't think it would be any different next time.

It's the usual story, out of sight out of mind and deep pockets coupled with short arms !!

I watched a report on the BBC 1 news last night from the disaster area in Indonesia, it explained how the warning system was supposed to work, then went on to say that because the buoys batteries etc hadn’t been serviced etc it hadn’t functioned hence no warning.

No point in having signs, loudspeakers etc if nothing to trigger the warning in the first place,

Archived