It's Official: No more tips, back-handers or tea money to corrupt immigration officers

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

It is also possible for someone with money in the bank for the visa, not having money for expensive medical treatment. Sort of nullifies your argument.

True, but falling off your motorbike when drunk or worse causing injury when you have no licence or insurance, like a few I know doesn't leave you in the best possible financial position.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Do the illegitimate ones actually cost Thailand anything? Probably not, they are still spending money here, there's no welfare.

maybe so, but the law is the law, and if one law can be broken how about breaking a few others, maybe rape, murder, robbery, arson etc. so long as money is being spent.

15 minutes ago, Artisi said:

maybe so, but the law is the law, and if one law can be broken how about breaking a few others, maybe rape, murder, robbery, arson etc. so long as money is being spent.

Which is exactly what goes on. The law is only selectively the law and doesn't apply to Good People. Why would anyone else not at the very least skirt round the edges when they see the great and good doing whatever the hell they want?

A solution? God knows if there is one, quite frankly.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

Do the illegitimate ones actually cost Thailand anything? Probably not, they are still spending money here, there's no welfare.

And the way the dollar and pound are dropping there will be a lot more under the 65,000 from pensions but still living comfortably 

Maybe the respected Maj.General should open a complaint hotline, as the foreigners going for visa issues in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and Hua Hin will have many a story to report.

Often the lingering for a bribe is done cleverly and subtlely...with the official making life hell for the retiree, inventing rules, asking for more documents, refusing documents etc. It is a vicious and subtle practice that many in the Thai Police and Immigration Police have mastered.

Thus a efficient say e.mail adress hotline with a guarantee that the victim will remain anonymous, may be a helpful alternative....that is if anybody out there is geniunely serious about tackling corruption...before the international global media start to report on it daily !

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Is this going to affect possible 'tips' where agents obtain extensions for people too poor to have the required baht in the bank for 90 days? Or is this just at the airports!

Hope so, especially in Chiang Mai, the immigration visa agents capital of Thailand.

There are sponsored ads on facebook and craigslist openly advertising they can pull strings for those that do not qualify for visa extensions under the regular system, how brazen can that be.

Hoping the gravy train that has been running for several years will soon be coming to a grinding halt and some of these corrupt companies are put out of business.

If he can fix the immigration issues in Chiang Mai, I will suggest my wife votes for him or his friends in the next election.

The chances of Chiang Mai immigration issues being fixed AND a next election happening are very slim, I fear.

1 hour ago, naboo said:

If he can fix the immigration issues in Chiang Mai, I will suggest my wife votes for him or his friends in the next election.

The chances of Chiang Mai immigration issues being fixed AND a next election happening are very slim, I fear.

Agree and I will do the same.

I am hoping BJ is not just all mouth and no trousers, but like you I am feeling rather sceptical at the moment. We will see.

I don't believe it before I see it with my own eyes.  We are talking about at least 100 000 retired people who pay agents 20k per year to be able to stay here on visa based on retirement.

Who borrows 800k and get the correct visa, no rules are broken , they still have a pension to live a good life in Thailand and support their Thai relatives and the economy . 

We'll see . but I think business as usual next year. 

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

That sign would be a great tee shirt.:clap2:

Wow!   Next time I have a problem such as this. I'll tell 'em I'm Chinese!

Talk about instant action.  Sign printed and up on the desks all in a few days.

xie xie!

Some years ago when the BKK airport was at Don Muang I was flying to Singapore with my then Thai GF and her cousin. We checked in at the Business class counter, but I was the only one given a boarding pass. When I asked why the check in girl said that the girls had to go through a "special" immigration queue before the boarding passes would be issued. My GF's cousin said this was normal for her and a THB 5000 payment would need to be made to the immigration officers to get OUT of Thailand. This was outrageous and I went with the 2 girls to this special queue to politely ask the reason why and asked to see the regulation. i was given a dirty look but we directed back to check in where all boarding passes were issued and we were all stamped out without payment. Maybe the airline check in staff were in on this too.  I have not come across this at the new airport but immigration have a long track record of illegal demands for "tips". Incidentally no problems getting in and out of Singapore.

8 hours ago, jethro69 said:

Me, and even beeing late almost a week.....but wait you're tot talking TM30

I am talking about the COR you need for driving license or registration of a vehicle, not the 90-days report. And by the way, I got my last one for free in Phuket, when I asked for a receipt of the 300 Baht. I just said, "No receipt, no money".

Is The Joker saying that extension of stays have just gone up to 2000 from the 1900 I paid last month?  He seems to suggest it is okay to tip for regular visitors to Thai immigration, but not agents.  

Also, the Notification of the National Counter Corruption Commission Concerning the Provisions of the Acceptance of
Property or Any Other Benefit on Ethical Basis by State Officials B.E. 2543 (2000) authorizes gifts to government officials
if such gift is limited to THB 3,000 (approximately USD 93) for each person and on each occasion. The same rules apply
to entertainment expenses, including dinners and banquets.

So how can he ignore what the Counter Corruption Commission states?

43 minutes ago, hkt83100 said:

I am talking about the COR you need for driving license or registration of a vehicle, not the 90-days report. And by the way, I got my last one for free in Phuket, when I asked for a receipt of the 300 Baht. I just said, "No receipt, no money".

I have obtained three for driving licences. No fee requested.

15 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Lets say a year or two, and then revisit and if still in play I'm impressed.

That long ? He's taking away major sources of income of many. Mai Nois won't be pleased not being able to keep the standards.

I see a shorter life time.

4 hours ago, balo said:

I don't believe it before I see it with my own eyes.  We are talking about at least 100 000 retired people who pay agents 20k per year to be able to stay here on visa based on retirement.

Who borrows 800k and get the correct visa, no rules are broken , they still have a pension to live a good life in Thailand and support their Thai relatives and the economy . 

We'll see . but I think business as usual next year. 

They do not actually borrow any money though for 90 days do they, that's not how it works. if it did there would be no need for bribes or agents, they would merely be lending money.

Archived