It's Official: No more tips, back-handers or tea money to corrupt immigration officers

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, blackhorse said:

At jomtien Immigration I was told I needed to go to a bangkok approved office for translation to get my income statement translated.... However the lady offered to take care of my retirement extension for 15k. This happened after I was taken to an office where it was quite.

Politely declined and took my rejected paperwork to bangkok immigration where I own a condo and job done, no translation

15K? A ripoff, and the income statement does NOT have to be translated. That's my experience with Chiang Mai Immigration, who have the highest ranking for degree of difficulty.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks immigrants even illegal immigrants in countries like America,England,and many other European countries get loads of free-bees...Like....

Free housing or supplemented housing,Food stamps,free medical care,welfare payments,help with childcare cost,discounted or free public transportation passes etc.....And to top it off they get state paid social workers to help them get as much free stuff as possible.. 

In Thailand the Expat does not get a single thing free from the state..Zippo...Nada...Nothing..A big fat zero.. 

Expats even poor expats cost Thailand virtually nothing what so ever... They also get virtually nothing what so ever from Thailand....Sure a few Expats may not pay for some medical care but I guarantee you will not get any thing major done with out money up front... 

So give it up with the poor Expats are a burden because THEY ARE NOT...

6 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

A good an encouraging start....lets see where we are in 3 months time.

I have some strong and possibly unusual views about this. Civil servants, including police, are paid only a fraction of a decent living wage to do their jobs. The authorities get away with this because they know that the civil servants get tips, tea money, or bribes to supplement their income. The only way to stop this this to pay these folk a wage that they will not want to jeopardise for the sake of a few hundred baht. This is how it is in the West. If you make 50,000 pounds a year, you do not want to jeopardise your job for the sake of a 10 pound bribe...and this corruption slowly disappears at this low level. Of course major corruption with government contracts worth millions with large scale kickbacks still exist, but this low level bribery tends to get severely reduced.

I lived in India once. When I was quite new there, I was complaining to a colleague about the awful postal service and he asked me if I affixed the stamps to the letters myself. I answered no, that the post office clerk took my money and said he would put the stamps on for me. "That's your problem right there" he said. "The clerk takes your money and throws your letters into the waste bin, next time, buy the stamps and put them on the envelopes yourself." After that I never had a problem with letters being delivered. Again the clerks in the post office earn so little that unless they engage in this sort of practice they cannot survive.

Perhaps if Big Joke can organise three things for immigration....first a zero tolerance policy, get caught accepting a tip or a bribe and you are out (not transferred to inactive duty) and second, increase pay to levels that deter such petty crime. Third encourage customer to record and report any solicitation from immigration officials.

Finally, what I have observed in Thailand is that the institutions that facilitate commercial and mundane living transactions are all failed institutions. The price is a classic. We all know the job of the police is to enforce the laws of the land.....they simply do not do this and are not fit for purpose. But think of other government institutions like driving licenses available for sale, or your local PuYai demanding 2500 baht for his signature on a document. Think of the complexities of the bureaucracy here, asking for endless reams of photocopies for every transaction that are filed never to see the light of day again. Think of the meaningless documents needed for immigration. Think of the fact that all immigration offices enforce the law differently. See that the laws themselves, that hand power to low level clerks, are designed to encourage corruption, not deter it. The law should be the law and if you are in compliance with the law you should not be molested or refused a visa. It is black and white elsewhere in the world, but 50 shades of grey here in Thailand.

Sorry for the rant.

Based on what happens in Australia on an almost daily basis, I would have to disagree. Increase the pay rates, and there will still be pond life trying to extract more money from all and sundry. There were just recently senior education officials in the Victorian government, on six-figure salaries, who were convicted of getting kickbacks from schools in return for directing extra funding their way. For some people, there can never be enough money.

I don't disagree with the strategies you are espousing, just saying getting it to happen is nigh impossible.

2 hours ago, Jackin1960 said:

So officially there are no more tips to be given. By this I guess they officially acknowledged the fact that giving tips was taking place. Does that mean that from now on giving tips will be unofficial? 

Thai meaning of

official tip : bribery given openly for everyone to see

unofficial tip: bribery under counter or under table 

They do not actually borrow any money though for 90 days do they, that's not how it works. if it did there would be no need for bribes or agents, they would merely be lending money.

We have discussed this before, there are no specific Thai laws about how long the money should stay on the bank account! It's up to the immigration officer handling the case.

You can find some information online about Thai lawyers mentioning and recommend 800k for 3 months , but not its not a written Thai law.

So its still up to the immigration officer handling the csse, if they accept it or not.

On 10/4/2018 at 4:48 PM, KamnanT said:

A good start - full credit to the man for confronting the issue head on in his first days in the position.  Next stop: land border crossings with Laos and Cambodia, where the immigration police have been demanding "stamping fees" for years.  Millions of baht per month going into someone's pocket.

Used this border 2 weeks ago (first time) - no any fees demanded there.

14 hours ago, Howiehotspur said:

I did my yearly extension on tues/weds just this week . 

I had a problem where my bank statement, although was updated  ( BKK bank ) the lady forgot to make sure it that days date on it , because there been no movement for about 4 weeks , so I had to stop right there and go back to BKK bank , the nearest one was fine to get that done , no problem bit of a pain as it took me a couple of hours , went back , never had to start again , never had to queue .. while he was going through my paperwork for the second time , I mentioned to him , it’s a bit stressful although I don’t know why as everything is in order ( this was my 4th extension) .. and he said , maybe go to agent they will do everything for you , but you must pay more money you understand . I was stunned and said , what is that where they , the agent put money into you account for a few days etc ? .. , yes he said ????????. I couldn’t believe my ears ...

Par for the course!

It's funny how TV website consensus has changed over the years. For the last 10 years I've been mentioning here about the corruption in Thai immigration, and everytime I do other posters say I don't know what I'm talking about and that Thai Immigration are so honest, never ask for bribes and I was spreading lies..... Whatever.

Now when the Thai police announce they want to clean up corruption in immigration, where are these TV members today to defend the integrity of the immigration dept ?

This is the one time I wished Thailand was more like other Asian countries like China and Vietnam, where corrupt officials get the death penalty

On 10/5/2018 at 7:27 PM, balo said:

We have discussed this before, there are no specific Thai laws about how long the money should stay on the bank account! It's up to the immigration officer handling the case.

On 10/5/2018 at 7:27 PM, balo said:

You can find some information online about Thai lawyers mentioning and recommend 800k for 3 months , but not its not a written Thai law.

So its still up to the immigration officer handling the csse, if they accept it or not.

"So its still up to the immigration officer handling the csse, if they accept it or not".

And therein lies the root of many problems! Whether it is official Thai Immigration policy or not, the interpretation of the rules is down to the mood of the Immigration Officer at the time! You can point to the official Rules and Regs and he/she can (and do) say "I don't care what that says - we make the rules here" Let's hope the new boss can standardise things!

On 10/4/2018 at 10:48 AM, KamnanT said:

A good start - full credit to the man for confronting the issue head on in his first days in the position.  Next stop: land border crossings with Laos and Cambodia, where the immigration police have been demanding "stamping fees" for years.  Millions of baht per month going into someone's pocket.

No tips crossing at Nakhon Phanom now. They even stopped the extra $ for crossing at weekends many years ago. But they had one hell of a scam going with the Vietnamese coming in; I think it was one year before the coup. I arrived at Thakhek bus station about 11am to get the bus back to NKP. Unusually there was a group of 50+ young Vietnamese with suitcases waiting along with the usual Thai and Laos locals. As I waited the numbers swelled as minibuses arrived every few minutes from Vietnam. When the Thai/Laos NKP bus arrived there was a bit of a scrum to get their suitcases loaded underneath and I couldnt get the bus 'steward'/'bouncer' to load my bicycle which I usually take with me for a night or 2 in Thakhek. The next Laos bus arrived sooner than usual, along with more Vietnamese, and the same thing happened again with the bus steward and driver both ignoring me. I complained to the Laos lady ticket office supervisor and she said I must wait for a newer bigger Thai bus which had more room underneath  for my bike, but when a Thai bus arrived the driver wouldnt allow my bike to be loaded. Later I realised because it took up the space of about 4 lucrative Vietnamese suitcases. This farce continued, with me thinking I was going to have to abandon my bike in order to return home, until, getting desperate, I quickly and assertively loaded the bike myself as soon as the 4pm bus opened its doors. I expected it to be removed but it wasnt and I was allowed to board the bus along with the throng. Then from my seat I noticed that even though Id seen an agent with their passports buy tickets at the counter for each minibus group arriving, as each Vietnamese passenger boarded they handed the bouncer along with their ticket a 100thb note. When we reached the bridge I noted they each again handed over 100thb to the Laos IOs and again to the smily Thai IOs on the other side (in previous years Id seen them shout and herd the Vietnamese like cattle). There was also unusually another Thai bus waiting for them on the other side of the bridge that they had to reboard and pay another 100thb to get to NKP bus station and reach the buses to Bangkok where, one of them told me, they were all going to work. The buses were also running every 30 mins rather then the usual hourly service. They they also were packing them on like sardines, I counted 123 reboarding the 40? seat bus I was on at the bridge. Some serious money was being made that year, but it all stopped after the coup.

On 10/5/2018 at 7:07 AM, bra said:

Some years ago when the BKK airport was at Don Muang I was flying to Singapore with my then Thai GF and her cousin. We checked in at the Business class counter, but I was the only one given a boarding pass. When I asked why the check in girl said that the girls had to go through a "special" immigration queue before the boarding passes would be issued. My GF's cousin said this was normal for her and a THB 5000 payment would need to be made to the immigration officers to get OUT of Thailand. This was outrageous and I went with the 2 girls to this special queue to politely ask the reason why and asked to see the regulation. i was given a dirty look but we directed back to check in where all boarding passes were issued and we were all stamped out without payment. Maybe the airline check in staff were in on this too.  I have not come across this at the new airport but immigration have a long track record of illegal demands for "tips". Incidentally no problems getting in and out of Singapore.

My Thai wife and I always fly business class when traveling overseas, in the last 8 years or so never had an issue as you describe at either airport and she always leaves using her Thai passport.

Maybe some scam linked to the airline you were using.

Perhaps some scam 

15 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Folks immigrants even illegal immigrants in countries like America,England,and many other European countries get loads of free-bees...Like....

Free housing or supplemented housing,Food stamps,free medical care,welfare payments,help with childcare cost,discounted or free public transportation passes etc.....And to top it off they get state paid social workers to help them get as much free stuff as possible.. 

In Thailand the Expat does not get a single thing free from the state..Zippo...Nada...Nothing..A big fat zero.. 

Expats even poor expats cost Thailand virtually nothing what so ever... They also get virtually nothing what so ever from Thailand....Sure a few Expats may not pay for some medical care but I guarantee you will not get any thing major done with out money up front... 

So give it up with the poor Expats are a burden because THEY ARE NOT...

I think you are wrong about the hospital treatment certainly in Public Hospitals they will treat you and then seek to recover the money that I know from experience.

20 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Well if thats your concern , about 5 million Thais need to relocate elsewhere.

The point you miss is that it’s their country not ours, if they fall off their motorbike they get all the treatment they need for free or 30 baht under the government scheme.

If you fall off your motorbike in Aus treatment in government hospitals is free and I presume it’s the same in the UK under the NHS.

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

The point you miss is that it’s their country not ours, if they fall off their motorbike they get all the treatment they need for free or 30 baht under the government scheme.

If you fall off your motorbike in Aus treatment in government hospitals is free and I presume it’s the same in the UK under the NHS.

If you fall off your motorbike in Aus, treatment depends on whether you have private health cover or not. If you don't have private health cover, you could be on a looooong waiting list.

Judging by what I've seen at Thai government hospitals, the process is pretty slow here too.

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If you fall off your motorbike in Aus, treatment depends on whether you have private health cover or not. If you don't have private health cover, you could be on a looooong waiting list.

Judging by what I've seen at Thai government hospitals, the process is pretty slow here too.

In UK if involved in an accident you will get the emergency treatment in A&E no matter who you are or where you're from.

Any follow up treatment I'm not really sure about.

When we go to UK my wife always gets insurance cover anyway.

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

In UK if involved in an accident you will get the emergency treatment in A&E. 

Any follow up treatment I'm not really sure about.

When we go to UK my wife always gets insurance cover anyway.

It obviously depends on the nature of the injury and the length of rehabilitation. I knew a guy in Australia whose son was rushed to an emergency department with third-degree burns. Took 16 hours for the kid to be treated.

Or another guy in severe pain who had to wait 18 months for a hip replacement.

If you are in the public health system in Australia, you are in a lottery.

Archived