Big Joke crackdown: Foreigners under the spotlight nationwide as visa extension changes suggested

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I know several people who live here on extensions but claim the never have to visit the immigration office at all. I'm not referring to 90 day reports here, but the once a year application process. And, they say they don't have to have proof of monetary funds either. 

Yes, I think it will be squeaky bum time for all those people who brag about never having to visit immigration in person or have no proof of monetary funds. And hopefully it will put the rogue agents these people use out of business. Good on you Big Joke.

There isnt any mention of a crack down on people using agents etc, the OP is about a crackdown on illegal workers. People appear to be commenting on what they "want" the crackdown to be, not what has been announced. 

3 hours ago, BestB said:

But your legal may become illegal, as it appears he is set on making things more difficult 

Have you any info regarding your comment, or are you just being ridiculous?

The law requires me to have 800.000 baht for my retirement extension, report every 90 days, not work.

So pray tell me how you reckon that will become illegal.

3 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Cambodia is getting stricter. Work permits now required, long term visas much harder to get etc. 

Used to be able to rick up buy an 'ordinary' visa at the airport and extend for a year through an agent. Not any more.

True, but still easier than Thailand.  Vietnam is easy.  They do not seem to care too much about frequency of travel. 

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The OP mentions changes to extensions, nothing about making extensions more tough. and nothing about changing the amount. The OP mentions being able to use collateral in Thai wives name, thats actually about making extensions easier.

Yeah but that point doesn’t make Thailand look a worse place to be does it so we can’t say that 🙂

4 hours ago, BestB said:

It’s interesting to note that all surrrounding countries in the region are easing up on immigration and granting long stays visa’s fairly easily, while Thailand is moving in the opposite direction.

Can nlt help but wonder why?

Possibly Thailand have realised that a large number of foreigners residing here actually give very little back as they can’t rub two baht together

4 hours ago, BestB said:

It’s interesting to note that all surrrounding countries in the region are easing up on immigration and granting long stays visa’s fairly easily, while Thailand is moving in the opposite direction.

Can nlt help but wonder why?

He has to make room for all the Chinese tourists. Throw out all farangs and make way to the real 'owners' of this country.

12 minutes ago, DipStick said:

Possibly Thailand have realised that a large number of foreigners residing here actually give very little back as they can’t rub two baht together

hmm not entirely convinced

Speaking personally my area we as a family me) spend infinitely more than the locals who are on the whole live hand to mouth i would suggest our weekly macro shop is more than most local families monthly spending thats before you take into account holidays restaurant and alcohol spending

I would say that any long-term staying foreigner spends more money than the average Thai or their beloved Chinese tourists.
Not to mention that foreigners often invest in real estate, support their partner and extended family as well as take care of the children.
True, but still easier than Thailand.  Vietnam is easy.  They do not seem to care too much about frequency of travel. 
Vietnam seems to be a good choice.
I met a few foreigners there who said that the situation about working (may it under the radar or legal) is much more relaxed than Thailand.
17 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Just asking, but how many people would like to see a visa based on ability to assimilate which included a reading and writing section that was only in Thai?

Not me. Why don't you set up a poll?

8 minutes ago, CLW said:

Vietnam seems to be a good choice.
I met a few foreigners there who said that the situation about working (may it under the radar or legal) is much more relaxed than Thailand.

They seem to be evolving into a country with a strong identity and not a basket case which has coups you can set your ultra expensive watch by.

Archived