Big Joke crackdown: Foreigners under the spotlight nationwide as visa extension changes suggested

webfact

7 hours ago, jaiyen88 said:

A simple way to have assets and protect oneself. Thai partner owns land and gives 3x30 year lease to foreign partner and transfers ownership of buildings. So foreigner has exclusive lease plus ownership of buildings.

It`s people like you that BJ will be after, because you simply don`t understand.

Any land bought in the name of a Thai wife, legally has to be with her funds. If you believe that a Farang husband can buy land in his wife`s name, then the Thai wife makes the husband a long term leaseholder on paper and he`s safe, thinking it`s a loophole around the law, than I`d think again if I were you. YOU`RE DEAD WRONG. Not only that, the Thai wife will also be breaking the foreign ownership of lands acts.

Around my area the police have already begun randomly visiting the homes of Farangs. Very easy, the police visit an area and ask the locals where the Farangs live. Then the Farangs and if married to Thais the couples are called to the police station and asked to produce all paperwork pertaining to their residential property. Believe or don`t believe, last year not far from where I live, an old English guy living with his Thai wife had his property confiscated for the reasons I have mentioned. It was the talk of the village for months afterwards.

The police are really getting tough now and for those who`s affairs are not in order, may be next on the list.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Like I said before.. once a  country has enough economic growth, they would take a hard look at the all those long stay foreigners in their country. If you don’t qualify for a long stay in Thailand, that would put you in a precarious position in any country .....

Like China ?  Are you familiar Chinese immigration ?  How does it compare to Thailand?

"It’s interesting to note that all surrrounding countries in the region are easing up on immigration and granting long stays visa’s fairly easily,"

Philippines is a good example of this. Youcan arrive on a 30 day visa-free entry, extend for an initial 29 days (total of 59) and then keep extending every 59 days upto around 3 years. Then you have to leave and you can re-enter on another 30 day entry and start again. 

7 hours ago, TEFLKrabi said:

Just asking, but how many people would like to see a visa based on ability to assimilate which included a reading and writing section that was only in Thai?

Not sure there would be many takers. Which countries do require reading and writing tests when applying for visas? Many countries require them for permanent residency/leave to remain and citizenship, but few require them for short stay visas.

I know Thailand requires them for skilled ASEAN workers wanting to come over on the "free" movement/trade agreements currently in place. 

Vietnam seems to be a good choice.
I met a few foreigners there who said that the situation about working (may it under the radar or legal) is much more relaxed than Thailand.
Unfortunately that actually means leaving thailand and living there.

I'm guessing you didn't take your own advice and move there yourself?

I rate Cambodia and Vietnam the same.. Simply awful to live but good fun for 7 days

13 hours ago, colinneil said:

Yes many folk going to be a little scared, but all of us who do things legal should have no worries.

I won't worry but I WILL watch with concern. Next April many folks will start panicking because they haven't stayed on top of things and their international money transfers don't go through. Thailand doesn't have a sterling image of keeping folks informed of changing policies.

1 hour ago, biggles45 said:

"It’s interesting to note that all surrrounding countries in the region are easing up on immigration and granting long stays visa’s fairly easily,"

Philippines is a good example of this. Youcan arrive on a 30 day visa-free entry, extend for an initial 29 days (total of 59) and then keep extending every 59 days upto around 3 years. Then you have to leave and you can re-enter on another 30 day entry and start again. 

Well, yeah, but that's the Philippines. All my friends who moved from Thailand to P.I. regretted it. I'm sure people can come up with examples of those who enjoy living there, but I have spent enough time there to realize Thailand, with all its issues, is still a better place to call home.

Unfortunately that actually means leaving thailand and living there.

I'm guessing you didn't take your own advice and move there yourself?

I rate Cambodia and Vietnam the same.. Simply awful to live but good fun for 7 days
I have some ties and commitment to Thailand therefore I stay here.
If I'm free to move probably I would give it a try.
Cambodia ranking definitely below Vietnam for me.
Except the two big cities there is no sufficient infrastructure for me.
And the same almost goes for Vietnam.
I guess I would have a hard time living there permanently.
Thailand is not a bad place at all.

10 hours ago, yellowboat said:

True, but still easier than Thailand.  Vietnam is easy.  They do not seem to care too much about frequency of travel. 

They may not care now, just like the thais once-upon-a-time, when people start to abuse the rules they will care. Do you think the Thais just started careing no people where living and working here on 30 day visa exempt, I might say for years. They cracked down and then all the whining and crying started how Thailand will go broke without us. Thailand is still here and a lot of the whiners left to rebe replaced by the ed. visa abusers.

2 hours ago, biggles45 said:

Is that really any way to live, people in Thailand complain about having to do 90 day reports.

Moe666, you dont have to renew at immigration, most travel agencies will do it all for you for a small fee. A friend never went to immigration office in the 3 years.

Also their retirement visa comes with RESIDENCY so you never report at all. You have a resident card you renew every 3 years at the retirement agency office. I have never reported to immigration in 7 years. 

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:48 PM, quandow said:

// Next April many folks will start panicking because they haven't stayed on top of things and their international money transfers don't go through.

Did I miss something in this thread? :unsure:

What are you talking about??

The whole immigration crap is one of things I don't miss at all. Now I just visit Thailand as a tourist, and that suits me just fine.

Contrast that to my wife, when she came to the US, she entered as a legal immigrant with full rights as a permanent resident, not like me in Thailand

Archived