Whats Your Shave?

Nyezhov

Thread on Electric razors got me thinking...are there a lot of wet shavers here. Where do you get your stuff?

I only shave once a week (too hot to do it every day) and I use Trumpers Coconut that I brought with me, 1970s version Black Beauty and thank god some Feathers that I bought in Nonthaburi. The blades I bought in Big G were best suitable for harvesting Durian.

Any local products worth trying? 

Wet shave since decades.

Became totally allergic to dry shave.

No more than three shaves a week when it starts to get itchy.

But I don't use the archaic stuff :biggrin:

There is full range of choices of multi-blade handles.

From cheap disposables to the expensive Mach 3 and Gillette Fusion stuff.

Foam from the spray can, some Tesco local brand.

Where to buy the razors? Everywhere, really.

I should shave every day, but shave instead every other day. When I came to Thailand I brought many Wilkinson multi blades with me, but when I ran out I found that Wilkinson was unavailable in Thailand and the Gilette was far too expensive. Tried the cheap copies from Lazada and they were worse than useless.

So decided to get a Safety Razor and one hundred packs of razor blades (about 1000baht for the lot) each with 5 blades in the pack. I also bought a good quality brush and the soap in a tub to try, but in all honesty the foam in the can is much better and less hassle. 

Calling them safety razors is a misnomer though, the adjustable ones are much better.

They are as cheap as chips from aliexpress.

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

I I also bought a good quality brush and the soap in a tub to try, but in all honesty the foam in the can is much better and less hassle. 

See now I cant stand the canned stuff, and the soap and mg is a pita, thats why I use the cream and a (expensive) brush...

When I came here to retire about a year and a half ago, I brought a whole bunch of the Gillette Mach 3 cartridges and a whole bunch of cans of shave cream. (Actually had them shipped over in boxes with other stuff like kitchen wares, clothes, tools, etc.) I also shipped a bunch of Afta brand after shave lotion. Much better than the alcohol based junk that stings and dries out your skin. I usually shave every other day just out of laziness but I do like a nice clean shave and if I get more than two day's growth it begins to bother me.

One other thing I discovered a few years ago was pre-shave oil. It really makes my blades last a little longer and provides a really nice, close shave without irritation. I had an unscheduled trip back home to the US last Nov. and brought some more of that, along with some more bottles of the Afta after shave lotion. I think with the pre-shave lotion you can prepare your own but I've got enough to last me another couple of years (it only takes a couple of drops).

24 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

brush and bowl + shaving soap is easy once you get the hang of it.

One puck lasts a year.

I never get a good lather from the soap though.

I'm a multi tasking guy and I shave while sitting on the toilet.  I use a Braun on the sides of my face and a Phillips/Norelco for my neck and a Gillette double edged razor with feather blades in the shower to trim my sideburns and a Kemei waterproof hair trimmer for my body hair.  All the razors are waterproof.  I also shave my head once a month with the Kemei.  

clip.png

45 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm a multi tasking guy and I shave while sitting on the toilet.  I use a Braun on the sides of my face and a Phillips/Norelco for my neck and a Gillette double edged razor with feather blades in the shower to trim my sideburns and a Kemei waterproof hair trimmer for my body hair.  All the razors are waterproof.  I also shave my head once a month with the Kemei.  

clip.png

I use this sometimes no soap, soap is for boys.

shaving.jpg.23883d7d339ef4e7361888c7fc06e98f.jpg

I still had teenage peach fuzz but US Navy Chief Petty Officer Hardass, my boot camp company commander, gave me two options: 

A) Shave  

B) Shave

Started then with the cheap disposables and some flavor of Barbasol shave cream.  In later years, tried electrics and those fancy, more expensive blades but it never took.  To this day, I still use the el cheapo, blue plastic disposables with the ubiquitous lube strip.  Buy a bag of 15 or 20, whatever it is, I'm good for months.

I quit using shaving cream altogether after we moved to Thailand full time.  Just a splash or two of water, run the disposable around a few times, and I'm done. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Wrong soap or wrong technique.

Last time I tried it was Mitchells Wool Fat? which gave a nice shave but I could never get consistant consistency. Plus I used to be a shower shaver with a non fog mirrir and I found that cream was easier. 

Im hooked on Trumpers coconut, any soap recs regardless?

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I use homemade shaving soap. Rub the damp brush on the soap for 20 seconds, then around and around the bowl adding a few drops of water a couple of times, about 60 seconds work in all.

shave.jpg

You make your own? Ingredients?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived