Thai "Gang-nam" style: Korean gets mother of all padded bills - 160,000 baht!

webfact

Thai "Gang-nam" style: Korean gets mother of all padded bills - 160,000 baht!

5pm_new.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Many people in Thailand have suffered a padded bill at a nightclub, bar or even a restaurant. 

Most put it down to experience and pay up rather than go through the trouble of getting restitution. 

Sometimes bills for food are more than expected.

Often it is just a few hundred baht - a thousand if you are unlucky.

But a Korean man in Chiang Mai suffered what can only be described as the mother of padded bills. 

He was charged $5,000 for a bite to eat with some women.

Jeong Guenbok, 46, told Chiang Mai police captain Kasemsit Torkan that he had been taken advantage off at a karaoke lounge on Charoen Prathet Road in the downtown area.

Jeong said he sat down and was immediately surrounded by ten ladies. He didn't want to chase them away and decided to buy food for everyone - he figured it would probably set him back 10,000 baht but that would be OK. 

He got the bill but appears to not have looked at it and paid by credit card. When he check he found that he had paid 160,000 baht. 

He told the cops that it was an incredible shock - he nearly fainted and went straight to report the matter. 

Hearing that he had gone to the police the bar quickly sent a representative to the station with 60,000 baht in cash to settle the matter. 

Jeong said that wasn't justice and then went to the Korean Embassy and filed a further complaint with police. 

Daily News said Chiang Mai police are set to call in the owner of the karaoke for a discussion with the Korean to "avoid damage to tourism".

More about the outcome of those talks as we hear of it.

Source: Daiy News

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-05

This reminds me of a time my cousin came to Phuket, so I went to hang with him for a week, 1st thing he wanted to do was go to a ping pong show, I said mate, not interested, anyways....he was very very persistent, more so annoying so I gave in as the Mrs said we should, after all he's your cousin.

Long of the short the scouts touts whatever you call those annoying <deleted>$ in Bangla road took us to one and said, free, free, no cover charge, cheers I said, ordered 2 corona beers and 2 waters, bill comes, cousin gets it and then says mate, my eyes aren't that good is that 380 baht or 3,800 baht, so I had a look and then an all out with me and the chick who handed my cousin the bill got very very loud.

Mr, I can lose my job she said, not my problem, I can buy the same beer for 200 baht at the very most at any bar, yes but you pay for entertainment, I told her the scout tout whatever you call them said free, free no cover charge, she said yes but you pay for the entertainment in the bill, she went away and came back with a revised bill of 2,000 baht.

I more or less told her to <deleted> off when out of the blue my cousin gave her 2,000 baht, <deleted> idiot, I was livered, he pi$$ed me off so badly, so I make it a point not to bother when mates relo's come, I will meet them there if I am up for it, but won't venture out of what I know for anyone.

The funniest part was after I explained to him in the very beginning what to do if he is going to take a bargirl back to his room, i.e. negotiate beforehand and to put his wallet/valuables in the safe, come morning he said he thought the girl took 2,000 baht out of his wallet, I said didn't you put it in the safe, nah was in a hurry, well you did spend 2,000 baht paying the bill last night you do remember, yes I do he said, but I had 5,000 with me when we went out, 2,000 for that bill, and I only had 1,000 baht left when she asked me for 2,000 baht for her services, and I told her I only that I only had 1,000 and she took it and left very quickly.

I said yep, she took your 2,000 baht otherwise she would have stayed and caused you some serious trouble, count your lucky stars.

Welcome to LOS

9 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

That old chestnut rears it's ugly head again.

That is what they only seem to care about in most cases, not the victims of crime !

Should shut these places down once this occurs, but how can they, most are run by the cops and of course they negotiate with the farangs who are out of pocket by a mile, the karaoke places still do well, after paying their bosses, the cops. 

19 minutes ago, seahorse said:

That sounds like victim blaming to me. 

Funny how Bluespunk never gets round to identifying these ones. 

I miss your point here.  The victim should be blamed in this case for not listening to good advice and for being overly naive.

Seems the Thai's are doing their best to stop people coming here,sinking boats,punching people in the face at airports,making up rip off bills that beggar belief,they may not like foriegners,but just try and be nice,thing is the idiots don't realise no tourists = no jobs= working in the rice fields for 300 baht a day.

I don't have this problem as i live up country,i cannot recall ever getting ripped off up here,and the locals very nice,lot of expats live in this area and support many a Thai family,sure some don't like us,like my ex father in law who tried to kill me and broke up my previous marriage,then complained to my ex wife why she was no longer giving him 2000 baht a month,the numbskull never stopped to think where the money was coming from "som nam na".

A good bank would reject this cc charge and notify the owner....

shouldnt have any worries...keep the 60k cash and give them the finger

What is the bar owner going to do hire a lawyer and sue?

one is dealing with very primitive intelligence and understands little beyond cash and carry concepts...

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

That old chestnut rears it's ugly head again.

That is what they only seem to care about in most cases, not the victims of crime !

I guess that's the by-product of a face-saving culture. Everything is just surface deep, no substance and everything else is swept under the carpet, covered up or even buried. No pun intended.

He got the bill but appears to not have looked at it and paid by credit card. When he check he found that he had paid 160,000 baht. 

i think he he is a seasoned traveller... he already looked at it but was afraid to face the mafia face on. So better pay first and then scot off to complain... this method was drilled into me when I was young . Hong Kong was notorious for this scam in the 80’s and Shanghai in the 2000’s. I would use Amex to settle the bill because local banks ( using Visa) are not so cooperative with the card holder. If using Amex, you can say you signed under duress... 

Further to the topic, I have been frequently to Korea and Japan on business trips. Frequenting karaoke bars too. Never got scammed once but then I was with the locals visiting their usual watering hole . I was scalped once in roponggi night club where the dancers were all blondes from many countries. 2 quick drinks and off you go. The sign said you cannot linger if you do not have a drink in your hand. It was , if I rememer well, was US $50 for 2 drinks. I drank mine slow but the dancer asked me for the other drink and gulped hers down... dancers were sexy and friendly though.????

23 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

I am surprised the Korean found a Thai run bar that took credit cards.

Not the run of the mill bar. It is a karaoke bar.. maybe similar to those in thaniya plaza ( Bangkok Silom area) catering to big spenders.?  

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Should shut these places down once this occurs, but how can they, most are run by the cops and of course they negotiate with the farangs who are out of pocket by a mile, the karaoke places still do well, after paying their bosses, the cops. 

to be honest this is not particular to thailand, it happens all over the world and places generally dont get shut down, these 'victims' are adults, the situation/set up is well known there's always a lot of contributory negligence. to be honest if you get involved in the sex industry and get ripped off,  tough.

Archived