Big Joke: Thai police team have been to England to interview woman who claims rape on Koh Tao

webfact

Big Joke: Thai police team have been to England to interview woman who claims rape on Koh Tao

8pm.jpg

The head of the Immigration police Maj-Gen Surachate Hakparn revealed to TNA yesterday that the Royal Thai Police team investigating a rape claim by an English tourist on Koh Tao will be back in Thailand tomorrow (Saturday). 

Then he promised that within seven days all will be revealed. 

In one of the best kept secrets the RTP team have already been in contact with the metropolitan police in London and are in possession of a shirt reported to have semen stains.

Maj-Gen Surachate said that an interpreter accompanied the team and they had received good cooperation from the alleged victim. 

Though tight lipped about what the team had discovered he urged the press to wait and promised that information would be available within the next week. 

TNA reported that the alleged victim in the case has not been blacklisted though they gave no indication if this meant that the Thai authorities had determined she was in fact telling the truth. 

Surachate said that the Thai police will get to the bottom of the matter and justice will prevail. If rape was proved the victim would be interviewed again, he added. 

Last month he had gone to Koh Tao and declared that no rape had occurred - a move that was criticized in many quarters and prompted further investigations in London.

Surachate - known by his moniker Big Joke - moved from his deputy position at the Thai Tourist Police Bureau to become commissioner of the Immigration Bureau on Monday. 

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-05

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Interesting stuff on CSI LA about the rape being genuine, but I can't be sure because of the translation.

I really hope they're doing a proper investigation, but I have my reservations. 

Be careful on that page. People who have shared some of their articles have been arrested...

I am glad to see that the investigation is actually taking place (finally!), but forgive if I remain skeptical; for all intents and purposes the Thai police have already called the alleged victim a liar.

I come back to something I said a while ago, two questions;

1. Do you believe that the Thai police's investigation is to seek justice or to protect the tourism industry?
  2. Would you allow your wife/daughter/sister/niece/female friend to visit there alone?

I do not believe that this process can reach definitive conclusions as it has already been too long, but I am glad to see at least an attempt.

Until female visitors can stay there with safety, and until the local police convince outsiders that they are professional, not in the proverbial 'back pocket' of the locals, and competent, then...

Remember:

Thai 'death island's bloody role call of victims

Nick Pearson, 25, was found floating in an island bay, at the foot of a 50ft drop on New Year’s Day 2014. Despite claims of a fall, he had no broken bones. While police ruled out foul play, Nick's family, who say officers did not investigate a single witness, believe he was murdered.

Hannah Witheridge, 23, from Norfolk and David Miller, 24, of Jersey were bludgeoned to death with a wooden hoe as they walked back to their hotel room late at night.

Hannah was also raped in the attack in September 2014.

Frenchman Dimitri Povse, 29, was found hanged in a bungalow on the island on New Year's Day 2015. His death was ruled as suicide but police could not explain why his hands were tied behind his back.

Later that month, graduate Christina Annesley, 23, was said to have died of natural causes after mixing antibiotics she was taking for a chest infection with alcohol. However, no toxicology report was conducted.

In March 2015 Russian tourist Valentina Novozhyonova, 23, vanished from her hostel on Koh Tao in mid-February - sparking a police search. She had checked into the hostel on February 11 and was due to check out on February 16 – but failed to do so. A few days later, staff checked her room to discover her mobile phone, passport and camera had all been left behind.

Bricklayer Luke Miller was found at the bottom of a swimming pool at the Sunset Bar at Sairee Beach in January 2016.

His family accused the Thai police of a cover-up.

Belgian backpacker Elise Dallemagne, 30, was found hanged in the hills on the island on April 28, 2017.

And, there are more...

BOYCOTT!!!

48 minutes ago, webfact said:

In one of the best kept secrets the RTP team have already been in contact with the metropolitan police in London and are in possession of a shirt reported to have semen stains.

I would like to know if the DNA on this will by any chance be checked against the DNA in the B2 case.

A match would prove beyond all doubt that they are innocent and that a cover up did indeed go on.

18 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I would like to know if the DNA on this will by any chance be checked against the DNA in the B2 case.

A match would prove beyond all doubt that they are innocent and that a cover up did indeed go on.

Would mean a serious loss of face should that be the case. Besides, didnt they use up / lose the DNA samples??

46 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Whatever source you copied that from is more than a little bit biased. Leaving our minor details like drug taking, a Uk coroner report, solo free diving, etc. 

To answer your questions, yes the police don’t work for the TAT. They have been very public amount murders and crimes in Bangkok. Doubt they would care a bit about a far flung island. 

And no I wouldn’t like my daughter to go there alone. Or to any developing country alone. Nothing to do with Koh Tao. 

53 minutes ago, nikmar said:

Would mean a serious loss of face should that be the case. Besides, didnt they use up / lose the DNA samples??

That was a ruse by the police and prosecution. The defense leaped all over it and said to the media it was a travesty and it would have surely proven their boys were innocent. Then when it turned out there was DNA available the defense decided not to retest at an independent lab, even after the Miller family asked them to do it. 

In the court verdict it was one of the factors mentioned by the judge- that if the boys were innocent it’s unlikely they would pass on a DNA retest by an independent lab.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Surachate said that the Thai police will get to the bottom of the matter and justice will prevail. If rape was proved the victim would be interviewed again, he added. 

This is where he should be removed from government once it is revealed that she was actually raped, after all he did publicly state that she wasn't raped, all within 7 days, he can still keep his title as "Big Joke"

21 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

after all he did publicly state that she wasn't raped

Maj-Gen Surachate, who found no evidence of a rape having occurred on a recent trip to the island in Surat Thani province, reiterated that should the accusations prove to be false the Thai authorities would seek the prosecution of the teen.

Source: INN

Koh Tao rape claim probe to end next week

By The Nation

09abaa34197102f4243437942f31a164.jpeg

File photo from touristpolice.go.th

Thai police expect to finalise their investigation next week into the alleged rape of a British tourist on Surat Thani’s Koh Tao a few months ago, Immigration police chief Maj-Gen Surachate Hakparn said.

The Royal Thai Police team investigating the rape claim travelled to the United Kingdom last month to interview the 19-year-old British woman who claimed to have been drugged, raped and robbed on the island in June.

The team is due to return to Thailand on Saturday with evidence provided by UK police, such as a sperm-stained shirt, Surachate said on Thursday.

“It will take a week [after their return] to conclude if the rape is proved to be real. If she tells the truth we will invite her to Thailand for further questions,” Surachate said.

He said he has not received any report from the team whether the alleged victim still stood by her previous statements.

Initial reports said the team received good cooperation from the alleged victim in the interview which involved both Thai and English interpreters as well as UK officers, he added.

Surachate denied that the alleged British victim had been blacklisted by Thai authorities from entering the Kingdom and vowed to bring justice to all concerning sides.

In August, Thai police went to the island to investigate and gather further evidence relating to the case. They initially said they found no evidence to support the rape claim. The finding was criticised and prompted further investigations in London.

Thai Police later arrested 12 Facebook users for sharing posts about the alleged crime and commenting on them at the “CSI LA” page on Facebook for allegedly violating the Computer Crime Act.

As well as the 12 suspects, two others are still at large; one is Pramuk Anantasin, administrator of “CSI LA” Facebook page and Suzanne Emery, British publisher of the online newspaper and Facebook page Samui Times. Police have accused them of reporting false information concerning the rape claim.

Surachate, known by his moniker “Big Joke”, moved from his deputy position at the Thai Tourist Police Bureau to become commissioner of the Immigration Bureau on Monday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30355884

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-05

2 minutes ago, yorkieb said:

There hase already been a report in the uk this week that the girl has admitted in an interview with uk press that no rape occured and she was mistaken.

can you provide a link? I read the UK press and I didnt come across that.

21 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

This is where he should be removed from government once it is revealed that she was actually raped

It's difficult to see how it can be revealed that she was actually 'raped'...

There was no medical examination to prove she had even recently had intercourse

She cant remember herself the events between being in the bar and feeling unwell and later waking up on the beach.

There are as yet no witnesses to anything that may have taken place on the beach.

There is not even any CCTV evidence or witness statements confirming somebody followed her out of the bar.

All there is that is in any way related to to a sexual act of some description having taken place is a shirt with some jizz stains on it.

Which does not prove rape - it just proves that somebody was a lousy shot and jizzed on her shirt - or the shirt was used to clean up the mess.

As the girl cannot remember events that took place on the beach prior to waking up - how can she be certain that she did not actually consent to some sort of sexual activity?

I just don't see that this is going anywhere new.

6 minutes ago, yorkieb said:

There hase already been a report in the uk this week that the girl has admitted in an interview with uk press that no rape occured and she was mistaken.

She might wanna tell that to the RTP because they are busy trying to look busy. 

17 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

Maj-Gen Surachate, who found no evidence of a rape having occurred on a recent trip to the island in Surat Thani province, reiterated that should the accusations prove to be false the Thai authorities would seek the prosecution of the teen.

Source: INN

Here's a little insight into rape investigations; you don't go round declaring there's no evidence for rape and then threaten to prosecute if the accuser is found to be lying. It gives the impression you've already decided what happened.

If you don't know, you say you don't know. 

3 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I am glad to see that the investigation is actually taking place (finally!), but forgive if I remain skeptical; for all intents and purposes the Thai police have already called the alleged victim a liar.

I come back to something I said a while ago, two questions;

1. Do you believe that the Thai police's investigation is to seek justice or to protect the tourism industry?
  2. Would you allow your wife/daughter/sister/niece/female friend to visit there alone?

I do not believe that this process can reach definitive conclusions as it has already been too long, but I am glad to see at least an attempt.

Until female visitors can stay there with safety, and until the local police convince outsiders that they are professional, not in the proverbial 'back pocket' of the locals, and competent, then...

Remember:

Nick Pearson, 25, was found floating in an island bay, at the foot of a 50ft drop on New Year’s Day 2014. Despite claims of a fall, he had no broken bones. While police ruled out foul play, Nick's family, who say officers did not investigate a single witness, believe he was murdered.

Hannah Witheridge, 23, from Norfolk and David Miller, 24, of Jersey were bludgeoned to death with a wooden hoe as they walked back to their hotel room late at night.

Hannah was also raped in the attack in September 2014.

Frenchman Dimitri Povse, 29, was found hanged in a bungalow on the island on New Year's Day 2015. His death was ruled as suicide but police could not explain why his hands were tied behind his back.

Later that month, graduate Christina Annesley, 23, was said to have died of natural causes after mixing antibiotics she was taking for a chest infection with alcohol. However, no toxicology report was conducted.

In March 2015 Russian tourist Valentina Novozhyonova, 23, vanished from her hostel on Koh Tao in mid-February - sparking a police search. She had checked into the hostel on February 11 and was due to check out on February 16 – but failed to do so. A few days later, staff checked her room to discover her mobile phone, passport and camera had all been left behind.

Bricklayer Luke Miller was found at the bottom of a swimming pool at the Sunset Bar at Sairee Beach in January 2016.

His family accused the Thai police of a cover-up.

Belgian backpacker Elise Dallemagne, 30, was found hanged in the hills on the island on April 28, 2017.

And, there are more...

BOYCOTT!!!

And apart from Hannah and David, what evidence do you have any of the others were murdered?

17 minutes ago, Shadychris said:

It's difficult to see how it can be revealed that she was actually 'raped'...

There was no medical examination to prove she had even recently had intercourse

She cant remember herself the events between being in the bar and feeling unwell and later waking up on the beach.

There are as yet no witnesses to anything that may have taken place on the beach.

There is not even any CCTV evidence or witness statements confirming somebody followed her out of the bar.

All there is that is in any way related to to a sexual act of some description having taken place is a shirt with some jizz stains on it.

Which does not prove rape - it just proves that somebody was a lousy shot and jizzed on her shirt - or the shirt was used to clean up the mess.

As the girl cannot remember events that took place on the beach prior to waking up - how can she be certain that she did not actually consent to some sort of sexual activity?

I just don't see that this is going anywhere new.

A female under the influence or drugged cannot give consent, and any bloke with half a brain knows that is rape, i.e. if he went ahead, has been tested and tried in a number of courts where the guys were put behind bars for going ahead, e.g. does yes mean yes, sure it does, if she's not under the influence of alcohol or drugs, if she is under the influence of alcohol or drugs and you do engage in sex because she said yes, the you are playing Russian Roulette.

For Big Joke to come out and say she wasn't raped within 7 days, and without interviewing her just goes to show that Thai's don't want bad publicity that will affect tourism which is what all that counts to them, $'s not some female crying rape, you won't hear Thai women saying they got raped because they know they are 2nd hand citizens.

She would know is she got raped, i.e. if she couldn't recall giving consent, every seen or interviewed a female after she has been in this way, or ever been drugged or raped yourself, doubt it, ever asked yourself what she has to gain from all this publicity, putting her name out there, nothing, absolutely nothing, brave female in my opinion and the dumb cops in Pang Nah have shown us all they don't give a rats, because its not in their jurisdiction, although they could have taken the complaint and forwarded it on, oh God forbid, too hard, you go back to island, hoping she would just go away as others probably have.  

Is buchanan not the real name of the ST boss? or is the surname in the OP incorrect/typo?

2 hours ago, yorkieb said:

It was a very short piece on breakfast tv time news.

In short she confirmed that a sexual act occured but concluded that no rape occured. 

Pls. dont shoot the messanger. 

are you sure thats not about the girl in Koh Phangan?

51 minutes ago, yorkieb said:

I think you are confusing 2 different incidents.  There was another british woman that said she was raped on Ko Pha Gnan but then later said she was must have been mistaken.

I wouldn't trust that shirt with the Thai police.  Seems the British police don't know how corrupt the police here are.  They already <deleted> up the other Koh Tao observation and provided information to the Thais they shouldn't have.  Where is Sherlock?

Archived