BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Big Joke: Thai police team have been to England to interview woman who claims rape on Koh Tao

Big Joke: Thai police team have been to England to interview woman who claims rape on Koh Tao

8pm.jpg

The head of the Immigration police Maj-Gen Surachate Hakparn revealed to TNA yesterday that the Royal Thai Police team investigating a rape claim by an English tourist on Koh Tao will be back in Thailand tomorrow (Saturday). 

Then he promised that within seven days all will be revealed. 

In one of the best kept secrets the RTP team have already been in contact with the metropolitan police in London and are in possession of a shirt reported to have semen stains.

Maj-Gen Surachate said that an interpreter accompanied the team and they had received good cooperation from the alleged victim. 

Though tight lipped about what the team had discovered he urged the press to wait and promised that information would be available within the next week. 

TNA reported that the alleged victim in the case has not been blacklisted though they gave no indication if this meant that the Thai authorities had determined she was in fact telling the truth. 

Surachate said that the Thai police will get to the bottom of the matter and justice will prevail. If rape was proved the victim would be interviewed again, he added. 

Last month he had gone to Koh Tao and declared that no rape had occurred - a move that was criticized in many quarters and prompted further investigations in London.

Surachate - known by his moniker Big Joke - moved from his deputy position at the Thai Tourist Police Bureau to become commissioner of the Immigration Bureau on Monday. 

Source: TNA

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-10-05

Interesting stuff on CSI LA about the rape being genuine, but I can't be sure because of the translation.

I really hope they're doing a proper investigation, but I have my reservations. 

10 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Interesting stuff on CSI LA about the rape being genuine, but I can't be sure because of the translation.

I really hope they're doing a proper investigation, but I have my reservations. 

Be careful on that page. People who have shared some of their articles have been arrested...

I am glad to see that the investigation is actually taking place (finally!), but forgive if I remain skeptical; for all intents and purposes the Thai police have already called the alleged victim a liar.

I come back to something I said a while ago, two questions;

1. Do you believe that the Thai police's investigation is to seek justice or to protect the tourism industry?
  2. Would you allow your wife/daughter/sister/niece/female friend to visit there alone?

I do not believe that this process can reach definitive conclusions as it has already been too long, but I am glad to see at least an attempt.

Until female visitors can stay there with safety, and until the local police convince outsiders that they are professional, not in the proverbial 'back pocket' of the locals, and competent, then...

Remember:

Thai 'death island's bloody role call of victims

Nick Pearson, 25, was found floating in an island bay, at the foot of a 50ft drop on New Year’s Day 2014. Despite claims of a fall, he had no broken bones. While police ruled out foul play, Nick's family, who say officers did not investigate a single witness, believe he was murdered.

Hannah Witheridge, 23, from Norfolk and David Miller, 24, of Jersey were bludgeoned to death with a wooden hoe as they walked back to their hotel room late at night.

Hannah was also raped in the attack in September 2014.

Frenchman Dimitri Povse, 29, was found hanged in a bungalow on the island on New Year's Day 2015. His death was ruled as suicide but police could not explain why his hands were tied behind his back.

Later that month, graduate Christina Annesley, 23, was said to have died of natural causes after mixing antibiotics she was taking for a chest infection with alcohol. However, no toxicology report was conducted.

In March 2015 Russian tourist Valentina Novozhyonova, 23, vanished from her hostel on Koh Tao in mid-February - sparking a police search. She had checked into the hostel on February 11 and was due to check out on February 16 – but failed to do so. A few days later, staff checked her room to discover her mobile phone, passport and camera had all been left behind.

Bricklayer Luke Miller was found at the bottom of a swimming pool at the Sunset Bar at Sairee Beach in January 2016.

His family accused the Thai police of a cover-up.

Belgian backpacker Elise Dallemagne, 30, was found hanged in the hills on the island on April 28, 2017.

And, there are more...

BOYCOTT!!!

48 minutes ago, webfact said:

In one of the best kept secrets the RTP team have already been in contact with the metropolitan police in London and are in possession of a shirt reported to have semen stains.

I would like to know if the DNA on this will by any chance be checked against the DNA in the B2 case.

A match would prove beyond all doubt that they are innocent and that a cover up did indeed go on.

18 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I would like to know if the DNA on this will by any chance be checked against the DNA in the B2 case.

A match would prove beyond all doubt that they are innocent and that a cover up did indeed go on.

Would mean a serious loss of face should that be the case. Besides, didnt they use up / lose the DNA samples??

46 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Thai 'death island's bloody role call of victims

Whatever source you copied that from is more than a little bit biased. Leaving our minor details like drug taking, a Uk coroner report, solo free diving, etc. 

To answer your questions, yes the police don’t work for the TAT. They have been very public amount murders and crimes in Bangkok. Doubt they would care a bit about a far flung island. 

And no I wouldn’t like my daughter to go there alone. Or to any developing country alone. Nothing to do with Koh Tao. 

53 minutes ago, nikmar said:

Would mean a serious loss of face should that be the case. Besides, didnt they use up / lose the DNA samples??

That was a ruse by the police and prosecution. The defense leaped all over it and said to the media it was a travesty and it would have surely proven their boys were innocent. Then when it turned out there was DNA available the defense decided not to retest at an independent lab, even after the Miller family asked them to do it. 

In the court verdict it was one of the factors mentioned by the judge- that if the boys were innocent it’s unlikely they would pass on a DNA retest by an independent lab.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Surachate said that the Thai police will get to the bottom of the matter and justice will prevail. If rape was proved the victim would be interviewed again, he added. 

This is where he should be removed from government once it is revealed that she was actually raped, after all he did publicly state that she wasn't raped, all within 7 days, he can still keep his title as "Big Joke"

6 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

This is a guy who loves seeing his name in the paper and online, lol

Sorry but to me this is a guy who is doing his job and when he gets going doesn’t back off

21 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

after all he did publicly state that she wasn't raped

Maj-Gen Surachate, who found no evidence of a rape having occurred on a recent trip to the island in Surat Thani province, reiterated that should the accusations prove to be false the Thai authorities would seek the prosecution of the teen.

Source: INN