Jump to content
BANGKOK
jamie2009

Consular Letter Confirming Pension/Income for Retirement Visa.

Recommended Posts

As I am in receipt of my UK State Pension I can now use it as part of the 800000 baht towards my Extension of Stay Visa.

Do I need too get a letter every year from the UK Embassy too confirm I am receipt of this prior to applying for my Extension of Stay, my State Pension will never decrease only increase or stay the same ?

i have the original letter from the DWP informing of when I would start too receive it.

Similar my Private Pension although that will always stay the same although it could decrease depending on my Tax Code, I have the original documents outlining what my annual and monthly payment is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. You can use a combination of pension and savings ( seasoned for 3 months ).

Because the exchange rate varies, you do have to get the letter every year. Immigration converts from the GBP amount to baht.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lacessit said:

Yes. You can use a combination of pension and savings ( seasoned for 3 months ).

Because the exchange rate varies, you do have to get the letter every year. Immigration converts from the GBP amount to baht.

Yes but as long as I keep more cash in the Bank that should cover any ups and downs of the exchange rate.

My original State Pension letter states when my UK Pension starts and will only cease when I die ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will need a new letter every year from the British embassy, BKK, to support your request for extension of stay.  But you say that your state pension will never increase, only decrease.   That is not true as you should advise the DWP that you are living in Thailand.   Living in Thailand means that your UK state pension will be frozen at the current rate, there will be no increases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to get a letter from the British Consulate every year. You email them details of ALL your incomes, they DO NOT care about money going out. Email bank statements, their forms and of course credit/debit card details. Costs 52 quid and takes about 10 days. The immigation man then looks at the monthly GBP total, multiplies that by that day's exchange rate. If it is over Bht 65,000 you do not need any savings. If not, you do to make it up to 800K per year.. Simple

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

my State Pension will never decrease only increase 

So you've not told them you are living over here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

So you've not told them you are living over here!

I don’t live permanently in Thailand, I still have a property in the UK and return every 3 months spending 3/4 weeks there. I am also liable for UK Income Tax, I have already confirmed my position with the DWP, I am classed as UK Resident.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a stat dec from my embassy plus an authorized copy of my payment is what I use, no problems

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

You need to get a letter from the British Consulate every year. You email them details of ALL your incomes, they DO NOT care about money going out. Email bank statements, their forms and of course credit/debit card details. Costs 52 quid and takes about 10 days. The immigation man then looks at the monthly GBP total, multiplies that by that day's exchange rate. If it is over Bht 65,000 you do not need any savings. If not, you do to make it up to 800K per year.. Simple

Yes but I have the documentation stating when my State Pension starts, it will not stop till I die. Surely if the UK Embassy confirms this that’s enough ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

Yes but I have the documentation stating when my State Pension starts, it will not stop till I die. Surely if the UK Embassy confirms this that’s enough ?

Then you do what you want. The steps I told you are what is needed, I've done it too many times. I totally agree that ONE letter from UK Embassy SHOULD be sufficient, but T I T.

 

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

I don’t live permanently in Thailand, I still have a property in the UK and return every 3 months spending 3/4 weeks there. I am also liable for UK Income Tax, I have already confirmed my position with the DWP, I am classed as UK Resident.

My understanding is that you must inform DWP if you are out of the UK longer than 8 weeks. That being the case you could see your pension withheld if they find out, which they will, you are out of the UK for periods up to 3 months at a time. It has happened to others already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

My understanding is that you must inform DWP if you are out of the UK longer than 8 weeks. That being the case you could see your pension withheld if they find out, which they will, you are out of the UK for periods up to 3 months at a time. It has happened to others already.

No, they will not with-hold your pension, some guys have theirs paid into a foreign (Thai) bank account. However you will not get the annual increase of about 3 quid a week if you tell them you live here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

My understanding is that you must inform DWP if you are out of the UK longer than 8 weeks. That being the case you could see your pension withheld if they find out, which they will, you are out of the UK for periods up to 3 months at a time. It has happened to others already.

I have already explained my circumstances fully, no lies, too the DWP, as far as they are concerned I am entitled too any annual increase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wgdanson said:

No, they will not with-hold your pension, some guys have theirs paid into a foreign (Thai) bank account. However you will not get the annual increase of about 3 quid a week if you tell them you live here. 

They will most certainly withhold a pension if they find out you are out of the UK for longer than 8 weeks continually and could quite possibly take further action against you.  They will not withhold a pension if you advise them of your Thai retirement address. They will withhold your pension, irrespective of where you are living if you fail to return a Certificate of Life within 16 weeks.  All pensions withheld will be remitted to the beneficiary once their conditions are satisfactorily met.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

i have the original letter from the DWP informing of when I would start too receive it.

I think this is the info you are seeking...……...you do not need the DWP to issue you a new letter every year confirming that you receive the pension, incl the amount you receive, as the British Embassy will issue you a letter for immigration every year based on the original one.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...