Consular Letter Confirming Pension/Income for Retirement Visa.

14 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

So you are admitting you are going to fiddle the system irrespective of the UK guideline link I attached stating that you will not qualify as you intend to not be in the UK for at least 6 months per year ?   amassing.  Another quality retiree coming to Thailand whilst abusing the UK system

Not fiddling the system just following advice given too me by the IPC. BTW I was resident in the UK for 6 months last year.

3 hours ago, Esso49 said:

My understanding is that you must inform DWP if you are out of the UK longer than 8 weeks. That being the case you could see your pension withheld if they find out, which they will, you are out of the UK for periods up to 3 months at a time. It has happened to others already.

A good friend of mine who is English had this happen to him. He normally only came for 6 weeks a year but three years ago, as he has some extra cash, came for 12 weeks. His pension was withheld without notice and he had a few questions given to him when he came back to England to get reinstated. It was a major problem for him! 

When he did decide to spend more time here, his pension was frozen and he returns home like every three months or so to visit his elderly Mum for a month.

My friend has to submit his earnings every year to Immigration as others have noted here for his Visa.

I would do some more digging if I were you.

Edited by totally thaied up
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jamie2009 said:

Not fiddling the system just following advice given too me by the IPC. BTW I was resident in the UK for 6 months last year.

you wrote; "I don’t live permanently in Thailand, I still have a property in the UK and return every 3 months spending 3/4 weeks there."  That is different to what you stated above.  Irrespective of your claim that the IPC told you otherwise the stated facts are clear, not living in the UK more than 6 means disallows annual pension increase.  Now if you contest what is written down in black and white then clearly you will contest any other rule.  So carry on. I am sure there are many more like you abusing the UK  system .  Not worth anymore further commentary.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

A good friend of mine who is English had this happen to him. He normally only came for 6 weeks a year but three years ago, as he has some extra cash, came for 12 weeks. His pension was withheld without notice and he had a few questions given to him when he came back to England to get reinstated. It was a major problem for him! 

When he did decide to spend more time here, his pension was frozen and he returns home like every three months or so to visit his elderly Mum for a month.

My friend has to submit his earnings every year to Immigration as others have noted here for his Visa.

I would do some more digging if I were you.

Tell that to jamie2009.

1 minute ago, Esso49 said:

Tell that to jamie2009.

That's why I wrote that story. My friend had a lot of questions asked to him when he returned home. My friend is a super honest guy and he told them it was a mistake, he did not know of the rules and said he was sorry. They just then gave him a warning not to do it again. He now has a retirement extension here and goes home three times a year to see his sick Mum. 

If I was jamie2009, I would be asking more questions. Something does not seem quite right to me. Mind you, I know nothing about the English system apart from what happened to my friend as I am an Australian. Our rules make the UK rule look like they are on death-row.... lol

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

No, they will not with-hold your pension, some guys have theirs paid into a foreign (Thai) bank account. However you will not get the annual increase of about 3 quid a week if you tell them you live here. 

They will withhold your pension, if there is any doubt you are not in the UK happened to me, after living in Thailand for about 9 months pension stopped being paid into my UK bank, until i realised my pension had stopped being paid in, i contacted them after about a month and gave them my new address details, they informed me of the no increases rule and dropped my money back to where it before, as i had had a yearly increase, they then paid into my bank money owing after they had stopped paying at the old rate!

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

Given the grammatical shortcomings in your posts, I seriously doubt your ability to ask the right question - or understand the answer.

Your ignorance of the rules is no defence.

To clarify...

You need a new embassy income letter each year. That is based on the request form that you submit showing your various pension incomes, evidenced by bank statements/pension letters (the embassy are not too fussed and will not require new pension letters each year).

You appear to be receiving state pension increases that you are not entitled to. YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED. You are deemed to be a UK resident by virtue of your property ownership - that does not entitle you to state pension increases when you live, for most of the year, in Thailand.

You have failed to correctly advise your change of circumstances (I.e. living in Thailand) to the DWP. You think that your conversation with IPC covers you - it doesn’t.

Based on what you have been told (on here), by people who know, means that you are now knowingly receiving an incorrect state pension. Not a hanging offence but your are the one who said that, at your age, you didn’t want to operate on the wrong side of the law.

I have not been receiving State Pension which I am not entitled too, last year was my first full year of receiving my State Pension. I was resident in the UK for 6 months. 

The reason I contacted the IPC recently was too determine what was classed as residency for the State Pension increases for 2018/19.

5 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

I have not been receiving State Pension which I am not entitled too, last year was my first full year of receiving my State Pension. I was resident in the UK for 6 months. 

The reason I contacted the IPC recently was too determine what was classed as residency for the State Pension increases for 2018/19.

Correct....

Finally you give the full facts.

You will not be in breach of the rules until the first annual increase.

Now, do you want to keep playing games or do you accept that you are not entitled to future increases ?

5 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

I don’t live permanently in Thailand, I still have a property in the UK and return every 3 months spending 3/4 weeks there. I am also liable for UK Income Tax, I have already confirmed my position with the DWP, I am classed as UK Resident. 

1. Jamie, I'm going to come straight to the point. If you spend more than 6 months out the year living abroad and you're not living in the EU or a small number of other countries, you state pension will be frozen. Clearly, from the itinerary you outline here, that will apply to you. Read the details on this web site.

https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-guides/pensioners-and-tax/what-happens-if-i-retire-abroad#toc-what-happens-to-my-state-pension-if-i-retire-abroad-

Scroll down to: What happens to my state pension if I retire abroad?

As already stated, you need to contact the International Pension Centre

2. Regarding your visa extension, there is an alternative to getting an extension here in Thailand. You can obtain a 1 year multi entry no Imm O-A visa from the Thai Embassy in London. The financial requirements are the same but, as far as I'm aware, the monies do not have to be in a Thai bank. As you plan to return to the UK every 3 months, you may find that this will suit you better. I know a few guys in Udon Thani who use this method. Details of that are at this web site.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#7

Scroll down to: Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year per entries/Multiple entries/ 1 year validity

Hope all works out well for you. Take care

ML

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

+1

Just in case the OP is holding a marriage card up his sleeve, we can also mention the Non-Immigrant ‘O’ visa multiple entry option from Savannaket.

It would suit his travel profile and, personally,  I would take that visa option over an annual extension any day...

8 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

As I am in receipt of my UK State Pension I can now use it as part of the 800000 baht towards my Extension of Stay Visa.

Do I need too get a letter every year from the UK Embassy too confirm I am receipt of this prior to applying for my Extension of Stay, my State Pension will never decrease only increase or stay the same ?

i have the original letter from the DWP informing of when I would start too receive it.

Similar my Private Pension although that will always stay the same although it could decrease depending on my Tax Code, I have the original documents outlining what my annual and monthly payment is.

Yes you need a new letter from the British Embassy every year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

I don't see why they wouldn't accept the original DWP letter each year. They don't seem too bothered about what proof is supplied as long as it's from the pension provider and includes the amount received.  You could include a bank statement showing receipt of the pension payment.

3 hours ago, elviajero said:

Yes you need a new letter from the British Embassy every year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

I don't see why they wouldn't accept the original DWP letter each year. They don't seem too bothered about what proof is supplied as long as it's from the pension provider and includes the amount received.  You could include a bank statement showing receipt of the pension payment.

They do. I've been using the same DWP letter for 2 or 3 years now. Bank statements are not necessary. The only figure they're interested in is the gross income. Bank statements would not necessarily reflect that due to tax deductions. (Not, I might add from the State pension which is paid without deductions.)

Edited by Moonlover

12 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

Yes but I have the documentation stating when my State Pension starts, it will not stop till I die. Surely if the UK Embassy confirms this that’s enough ?

I asked Joimtien Immigration about a month ago if my current 2017-2018 tax assessment from Australian Government would suffice as proof of income and was politely told need letter from Aust. embassy signed and stamped to this effect, so in effect I have to go to Aust. Embassy every year to get this document, hope this answers your problem.

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

They do. I've been using the same DWP letter for 2 or 3 years now. Bank statements are not necessary. The only figure they're interested in is the gross income. Bank statements would not necessarily reflect that due to tax deductions. (Not, I might add from the State pension which is paid without deductions.)

I have never sent any DWP letter to the Consulate, I email copies of my bank statements for the year, which also show rental income, interest, divis on investments etc. It is not only pension income they take into account, it is your GROSS income, and as it says on the application form PLEASE NOTE THAT WE WILL USE THE FINANCIAL FIGURES PROVIDED ON THIS FORM AND WILL NOT CHECK OR AMEND ANY FINANCIAL AMOUNTS. So just put what you deem appropriate. The Immigration man here cannot be bothered to look at the statements again, although he could, he just takes YOUR gross monthly figure and multiplies it by the exchange rate on that day. Done it, been there, many times.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I have never sent any DWP letter to the Consulate, I email copies of my bank statements for the year, which also show rental income, interest, divis on investments etc. It is not only pension income they take into account, it is your GROSS income, and as it says on the application form PLEASE NOTE THAT WE WILL USE THE FINANCIAL FIGURES PROVIDED ON THIS FORM AND WILL NOT CHECK OR AMEND ANY FINANCIAL AMOUNTS. So just put what you deem appropriate. The Immigration man here cannot be bothered to look at the statements again, although he could, he just takes YOUR gross monthly figure and multiplies it by the exchange rate on that day. Done it, been there, many times.

Fair comment if you have incomes other than, or in addition to pensions. The O/P has only mentioned pensions, which is why I only commented on that issue. That is also the case with myself.

You have also given me a germ of an idea for next year! Cheers

15 hours ago, Esso49 said:

They will most certainly withhold a pension if they find out you are out of the UK for longer than 8 weeks continually and could quite possibly take further action against you.  They will not withhold a pension if you advise them of your Thai retirement address. They will withhold your pension, irrespective of where you are living if you fail to return a Certificate of Life within 16 weeks.  All pensions withheld will be remitted to the beneficiary once their conditions are satisfactorily met.

Please, what's a Certificate of Life?

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Please, what's a Certificate of Life?

The DWP and private pension providers send out this certificate, usually annually, for you to complete and get a countersignatory to sign that they have witnessed you signing this document to prove that you are still alive and it is you still claiming the pension. It is supposedly to avoid continued pension payments being made when the beneficiary has actually died.

Does this work ? no idea but I'll let you know on my 180th birthday if it does or not ????

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Esso49 said:

The DWP and private pension providers send out this certificate, usually annually, for you to complete and get a countersignatory to sign that they have witnessed you signing this document to prove that you are still alive and it is you still claiming the pension. It is supposedly to avoid continued pension payments being made when the beneficiary has actually died.

Does this work ? no idea but I'll let you know on my 180th birthday if it does or not ????

Been getting my State Pension for 6 years now and NEVER had one. I had better not ask the wife to be counter signatory as she thinks I am dead already !!!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Nothing to do with your pension income, it is you TOTAL income the Immigration want to see, via the letter from the Consulate.

Yes I have been doing it for 11 years now...…….what I thought he was referring to was a letter from the Pension people stating what his pension was.

Once he has that he then submits that to the embassy who issue him with his letter which he then takes to immigration, as you know.

Either he, or others, may have been a little confused with what he was actually referring to, hence my post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Been getting my State Pension for 6 years now and NEVER had one. I had better not ask the wife to be counter signatory as she thinks I am dead already !!!!!

Unfortunately I get two of the buggers...…….one from the UK pension people and one from the NZ folk.

Nothing much to fill in but getting them witnessed seemed to be a bummer as a local lawyer wanted 3000 baht to do so. 

Found that my local bank manager would do it as my pensions get paid into his bank, so a smile and a "wai" do the trick!!

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I get one every year . You registered as an overseas pensioner ?

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Unfortunately I get two of the buggers...…….one from the UK pension people and one from the NZ folk.

Nothing much to fill in but getting them witnessed seemed to be a bummer as a local lawyer wanted 3000 baht to do so. 

Found that my local bank manager would do it as my pensions get paid into his bank, so a smile and a "wai" do the trick!!

Now how you feel and I get one with all my private pensions too. 3 are ok but one is so small it is hardly worth it. Used to go into my bank to get them signed but got fed up with that as by the time I had explained what I needed the day was wasted.  Used a lawyer once and as you said expensive. Now I just use one of my local friendly policeman or my friendly immigration officer.   6 Changs and they sign anything  ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

Oh I don't know about death row. At least you Ozzies send illegal immigrants to almost a place on hell whereas us the British give them a home, benefits and clothes allowances whilst stealing meagre yearly pension increases from pensioners.

Oh, the Brits taught us how to do that back in the 1800's when you sent us all out to that Island called Australia for stealing bread.

No with the Brit and Aussie dollar in the gutter and with a Government that takes money away from people when they get married (I lost a packet of my pension when I married my Thai wife), it really stinks. 

• Like 1

Just now, New beginnings said:

Don’t know how it works in other countries but if your in receipt of UK pension best, if you can get away with it, not to tell them. The moment they know your in Thailand no further annual increases until your back in UK.

Just now, New beginnings said:

Don’t know how it works in other countries but if your in receipt of UK pension best, if you can get away with it, not to tell them. The moment they know your in Thailand no further annual increases until your back in UK.

I know of some poms living in Thailand but give their govt a Philippines address.

43 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Oh, the Brits taught us how to do that back in the 1800's when you sent us all out to that Island called Australia for stealing bread.

No with the Brit and Aussie dollar in the gutter and with a Government that takes money away from people when they get married (I lost a packet of my pension when I married my Thai wife), it really stinks. 

Look I'm really sorry about my ancestors doing that but look on the bright side, you were not arrogant enough like us Brits to think you knew everything and as such learned how to improve things and as such nearly always play a better game of cricket. That aside it never ceases to amaze me how, when you think you are doing what's right, governments always seem to offer those that buck the system the best rewards.

• Like 1