Consular Letter Confirming Pension/Income for Retirement Visa.

9 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Been getting my State Pension for 6 years now and NEVER had one. I had better not ask the wife to be counter signatory as she thinks I am dead already !!!!!

You're lucky.

My UK state pension started in March this year and I received the Life Cert letter in August. Hopefully the next one, if I'm still around, will be after a longer time gap!!

16 hours ago, dabhand said:

You're lucky.

My UK state pension started in March this year and I received the Life Cert letter in August. Hopefully the next one, if I'm still around, will be after a longer time gap!!

However it cannot be the most difficult form to fill, especially if you compare it to a TM47, or applying for a passport. And do you think the UK Pension authorities contact whoever the counter-signatory is? D I Y. !

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

However it cannot be the most difficult form to fill, especially if you compare it to a TM47, or applying for a passport. And do you think the UK Pension authorities contact whoever the counter-signatory is? D I Y. !

No, not difficult to fill in at all. Having it countersigned can be a bit of a chore, though.

The main problem, based on a number of comments in another thread on the subject, is the postal system not performing. Either non receipt of the letter or issues when the completed letter is sent to the UK. Only realising there is a problem when your money stops.

As for doing a DIY version. You may be happy taking that chance, for me, no thanks. Seems you have no need to worry on that front if you have never received one after six years. Some folk just have all the luck......!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dabhand said:

No, not difficult to fill in at all. Having it countersigned can be a bit of a chore, though.

The main problem, based on a number of comments in another thread on the subject, is the postal system not performing. Either non receipt of the letter or issues when the completed letter is sent to the UK. Only realising there is a problem when your money stops.

As for doing a DIY version. You may be happy taking that chance, for me, no thanks. Seems you have no need to worry on that front if you have never received one after six years. Some folk just have all the luck......!!

I'll probably get one this week.........Sod's Law. 

42 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

True, not the most difficult form for us State Pensioners to complete. But definitely IMHO excessively difficult for eligible Thai witnessers whose grasp of the English language is minimal because of IPC's apparent refusal to provide a version in the Thai language for some ridiculous reason. Certainly this exercise proved to be far from a piece of cake for our local police captain who witnessed my latest Life Certificate a few weeks ago!

Edited by OJAS

58 minutes ago, OJAS said:

because of IPC's apparent refusal to provide a version in the Thai language for some ridiculous reason.

This is a form sent to UK pensioners. They cannot be expected to send them in the languages where all of the expats may be living....Swahili or Sami etc. But in the end, you say, your local bobby DID do it. 

12 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

This is a form sent to UK pensioners. They cannot be expected to send them in the languages where all of the expats may be living....Swahili or Sami etc. But in the end, you say, your local bobby DID do it. 

If IPC were prepared to accept a DIY form which we had prepared to assist our Thai witnessers with a minimal grasp of the English language, then what you say might be fine. But, as @dabhand has intimated above, it is by no means a given that they would be prepared to accept such a form.

In any case, IPC already make this form available in a number of other languages. Surely there are sufficient numbers of us State Pensioners living in LOS as to justify Thai being added to the list?

And you should not forget that witnessers are being expected to put their names to formal declarations which, if found to be false, could result in them being banged up for 6 months if IPC adopt an attitude to such declarations similar to the one that HMPO do in the case of passport renewals, for example (a fact which I conveniently omitted to tell our local police captain, though). In this connection, it would, I think, be foolish to rule out altogether the prospect of IPC being prepared to go to the lengths and expense of having those suspected of making false declarations extradited from Thailand to face prosecution in the UK in serious cases.