BANGKOK
jamie2009

Consular Letter Confirming Pension/Income for Retirement Visa.

9 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I have never sent any DWP letter to the Consulate, I email copies of my bank statements for the year, which also show rental income, interest, divis on investments etc. It is not only pension income they take into account, it is your GROSS income, and as it says on the application form PLEASE NOTE THAT WE WILL USE THE FINANCIAL FIGURES PROVIDED ON THIS FORM AND WILL NOT CHECK OR AMEND ANY FINANCIAL AMOUNTS. So just put what you deem appropriate. The Immigration man here cannot be bothered to look at the statements again, although he could, he just takes YOUR gross monthly figure and multiplies it by the exchange rate on that day. Done it, been there, many times.

Fair comment if you have incomes other than, or in addition to pensions. The O/P has only mentioned pensions, which is why I only commented on that issue. That is also the case with myself.

You have also given me a germ of an idea for next year! Cheers

15 hours ago, Esso49 said:

They will most certainly withhold a pension if they find out you are out of the UK for longer than 8 weeks continually and could quite possibly take further action against you.  They will not withhold a pension if you advise them of your Thai retirement address. They will withhold your pension, irrespective of where you are living if you fail to return a Certificate of Life within 16 weeks.  All pensions withheld will be remitted to the beneficiary once their conditions are satisfactorily met.

Please, what's a Certificate of Life?

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Please, what's a Certificate of Life?

The DWP and private pension providers send out this certificate, usually annually, for you to complete and get a countersignatory to sign that they have witnessed you signing this document to prove that you are still alive and it is you still claiming the pension. It is supposedly to avoid continued pension payments being made when the beneficiary has actually died.

Does this work ? no idea but I'll let you know on my 180th birthday if it does or not 😉

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Esso49 said:

The DWP and private pension providers send out this certificate, usually annually, for you to complete and get a countersignatory to sign that they have witnessed you signing this document to prove that you are still alive and it is you still claiming the pension. It is supposedly to avoid continued pension payments being made when the beneficiary has actually died.

Does this work ? no idea but I'll let you know on my 180th birthday if it does or not 😉

Been getting my State Pension for 6 years now and NEVER had one. I had better not ask the wife to be counter signatory as she thinks I am dead already !!!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Nothing to do with your pension income, it is you TOTAL income the Immigration want to see, via the letter from the Consulate.

Yes I have been doing it for 11 years now...…….what I thought he was referring to was a letter from the Pension people stating what his pension was.

Once he has that he then submits that to the embassy who issue him with his letter which he then takes to immigration, as you know.

Either he, or others, may have been a little confused with what he was actually referring to, hence my post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Been getting my State Pension for 6 years now and NEVER had one. I had better not ask the wife to be counter signatory as she thinks I am dead already !!!!!

Unfortunately I get two of the buggers...…….one from the UK pension people and one from the NZ folk.

Nothing much to fill in but getting them witnessed seemed to be a bummer as a local lawyer wanted 3000 baht to do so. 

Found that my local bank manager would do it as my pensions get paid into his bank, so a smile and a "wai" do the trick!!

How many more people are going to tell him that he needs income stat dec every year? Both way, he will need a stat dec of income every year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I get one every year . You registered as an overseas pensioner ?

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Unfortunately I get two of the buggers...…….one from the UK pension people and one from the NZ folk.

Nothing much to fill in but getting them witnessed seemed to be a bummer as a local lawyer wanted 3000 baht to do so. 

Found that my local bank manager would do it as my pensions get paid into his bank, so a smile and a "wai" do the trick!!

Now how you feel and I get one with all my private pensions too. 3 are ok but one is so small it is hardly worth it. Used to go into my bank to get them signed but got fed up with that as by the time I had explained what I needed the day was wasted.  Used a lawyer once and as you said expensive. Now I just use one of my local friendly policeman or my friendly immigration officer.   6 Changs and they sign anything  😉

• Haha 1

Don’t know how it works in other countries but if your in receipt of UK pension best, if you can get away with it, not to tell them. The moment they know your in Thailand no further annual increases until your back in UK.

1 hour ago, Esso49 said:

Oh I don't know about death row. At least you Ozzies send illegal immigrants to almost a place on hell whereas us the British give them a home, benefits and clothes allowances whilst stealing meagre yearly pension increases from pensioners.

Oh, the Brits taught us how to do that back in the 1800's when you sent us all out to that Island called Australia for stealing bread.

No with the Brit and Aussie dollar in the gutter and with a Government that takes money away from people when they get married (I lost a packet of my pension when I married my Thai wife), it really stinks. 

• Like 1

Just now, New beginnings said:

Don’t know how it works in other countries but if your in receipt of UK pension best, if you can get away with it, not to tell them. The moment they know your in Thailand no further annual increases until your back in UK.

Just now, New beginnings said:

I know of some poms living in Thailand but give their govt a Philippines address.

43 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

Oh, the Brits taught us how to do that back in the 1800's when you sent us all out to that Island called Australia for stealing bread.

No with the Brit and Aussie dollar in the gutter and with a Government that takes money away from people when they get married (I lost a packet of my pension when I married my Thai wife), it really stinks. 

Look I'm really sorry about my ancestors doing that but look on the bright side, you were not arrogant enough like us Brits to think you knew everything and as such learned how to improve things and as such nearly always play a better game of cricket. That aside it never ceases to amaze me how, when you think you are doing what's right, governments always seem to offer those that buck the system the best rewards.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jamie2009 said:

yes I did call the International Pension Centre

You said you spoke with the DWP, not the IPC.