Temple bell-ringing complaint leads to immigration probe

snoop1130

Temple bell-ringing complaint leads to immigration probe

By Kornkamon Aksorndech 
The Nation

3416b18506a0129d4f75057ed3e14e42.jpeg

Police are checking whether immigration laws have been broken after complaints were made about a temple's pre-dawn bell ringing near a condominium at Wat Sai in Bangkok's Rama III area.

Pol Maj Gen Surachate Hakparn, acting Immigration Bureau chief, said on Friday that officers would check if the owner of the condominium unit, from where the noise complaint was made, had informed the Immigration Bureau about a foreigner now staying there. 

Officers would also check whether the foreign tenant had notified the Immigration Bureau of their correct address. If not, the foreign tenant could face a visa revocation and deportation, Surachate added.

The noise complaints prompted Bang Kho Laem district office to warn the temple. The temple's abbot then instructed monks to keep the volume down. The 1.2-metre-tall bell is rung at 4am every day during the Buddhist Lent period. 

The case also led to hot debates on social media, prompting Buddhism’s highest body and related authorities to visit the temple on Thursday to seek a solution. 

It was decided that a meeting would be held on October 10 for the condominium, the temple, the district office and nearby community residents, to resolve this issue.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30355889

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-5

Oh yes go after the owsner and the Foreigner, Noise complaints always fall on deaf ears as they are so used to the NOISE intrusion in their lives, to them it is normal. Like litter and Rubbish , Not seen nor heard.

Quite stupid, showing the rest of the world, just how bloody petty they are. Childlike in their response. 

17 hours ago, Esso49 said:

What goes round comes round sometimes

Why  would that apply here? I don't want to be woken up at 4 am and I can why others would not either. What of the poor shift workers who need their rest? Young families etc? This isn't karma, but a retaliatory gesture by the bullies of the BiB.  There is no compelling religious reason to ring their bell.  Anita Ward is dead.

This seems racist. Always blame the farang!
firstly, religion is a buisness and nothing more therefore should deal with operation times.

Secondly there is more than one religion here and by law there should be no discrimination therefore the temple should be sympathetic to its surroundings as it doesnt own the surrounding area.

The Thais have acted like stupid babies yet again and opened up the door for 10mosques to open surounding the temple and god help everyone then!

The 4am thing is stupid. Its bells to wake the masses that monks need attention, money and food from what i see. Monks are brain dead, drunk drug addict, fags. Not all but most i see. This story reflects what happens where i live but not just the temple. All my neighbours do the same at 4am. My little boy said to me whats the drums noise and then inadvertently hit his own drum kit. OMG you should have heard the temple bells then. Lasted all day and because of racism and not associating with these idiots they will always think we were annoyed by the bells and retaliated but didnt at all.

This is why Thailand is not civilized. Theres no empathy for anyone else and there is a constant brain washing that thais are somehow different and culture is somehow significant. Well heres a fact. No one is significant, get over it, live life and be fair and treat everyone equally so we can enjoy our little time on this planet.

Im disgusted in the story. Absolutely furious because there seems a real anger at foreigners being displayed yet again.

Why get excited about 4am bell ringing.

Every temple does it, telling the people, come on get up the scrounging monks will be around shortly wanting fed.

Our village temple is about 400 meters away, yet i hear the bell ringing every morning.

Once i asked my wife why they have to do it, her answer, it is telling the monks and locals time for you to get up.

10 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Why  would that apply here? I don't want to be woken up at 4 am and I can why others would not either. What of the poor shift workers who need their rest? Young families etc? This isn't karma, but a retaliatory gesture by the bullies of the BiB.  There is no compelling religious reason to ring their bell.  Anita Ward is dead.

Then you don't want to chose to live beside an existing annoyance. Similar to buying a house below the flight path of a major airport and then complaining about the noisy aeroplanes. Building a house opposite a school and then complain about traffic at certain times of the day, or the children being too noisy at playtime.  Build a house in the middle of an industrial estate and then complain about the noise from the surrounding factories. Building in the countryside and then complain about the noise of the farm animals early morning. 

Every one of these above examples would have major resistance to develop their non residential project individual had that area previously been a residential area.

I think the lesson to be learnt is to chose carefully where you purchase property and don't expect to change existing things just because they don't suit your lifestyle. 

51 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

Oh yes go after the owsner and the Foreigner, Noise complaints always fall on deaf ears as they are so used to the NOISE intrusion in their lives, to them it is normal. Like litter and Rubbish , Not seen nor heard.

Quite stupid, showing the rest of the world, just how bloody petty they are. Childlike in their response. 

Yes he has no right to complain this temple have be there for 3 centuries and if don't like the bell rings find another place 

it is only 2 people there complaining 

My first hotel was next to a temple and I found the bell ringing to be quite charming. Waking up smiling to bells and roosters and different birds, I was reminded I was in a different land...

Curious how angry this makes some people, imposing their western "sensibilities" and judgements onto a different culture.

So the farang might get spanked for sticking his nose in, there is a lesson there.

Sounds to me like there are not complaints of this type very often. There is another lesson.

And, action was taken about the noise too... So the response strikes me as rather balanced. 

So many folks affected because one falang's beauty sleep was disturbed...

I live next to a Wat, it's not a problem. I accept the noise, it's their country. The monks are aware that I hate the drum and base crap that abounds and refrain from inflicting that on me, we coexist quite happily. 4 am, so what, go back to sleep, go to bed earlier, live with it or leave.

13 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Yes he has no right to complain this temple have be there for 3 centuries ...

Indeed, much like moving next to an airport then complaining about aircraft noise.

We too live next to a wat, noise is rarely a problem, the lunch drum is handy for setting the clocks.

3 minutes ago, Belzybob said:

Confucious might have said, "If you're going to rock the boat, first ensure that you haven't got a hole in your life jacket".

Well said-  it is obvious Immigration was notified  out of spite by someone who did not like the complainer.  Big Joke is sending a message.  This is not an immigration case but he is letting  foreigners know he can squeeze anyone when he wants.

Waiting for more xenophobic action from this highly praised super-cop.

Woman who claims to have been raped is prosecuted for false accusation, woman who complains about temple noise is bullied about wasted paperwork.

Many foreigner will soon pray that he will get an inactive post.

Prepare for even more harassment by immigration bureau.

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Waiting for more xenophobic action from this highly praised super-cop.

Woman who claims to have been raped is prosecuted for false accusation, woman who complains about temple noise is bullied about wasted paperwork.

Many foreigner will soon pray that he will get an inactive post.

Prepare for even more harassment by immigration bureau.

If you are doing the right thing regarding being able to stay in Thailand without too much hassle, what harassment do you envisage? 

1 hour ago, unamazedloso said:

This seems racist. Always blame the farang!
firstly, religion is a buisness and nothing more therefore should deal with operation times.

Secondly there is more than one religion here and by law there should be no discrimination therefore the temple should be sympathetic to its surroundings as it doesnt own the surrounding area.

The Thais have acted like stupid babies yet again and opened up the door for 10mosques to open surounding the temple and god help everyone then!

The 4am thing is stupid. Its bells to wake the masses that monks need attention, money and food from what i see. Monks are brain dead, drunk drug addict, fags. Not all but most i see. This story reflects what happens where i live but not just the temple. All my neighbours do the same at 4am. My little boy said to me whats the drums noise and then inadvertently hit his own drum kit. OMG you should have heard the temple bells then. Lasted all day and because of racism and not associating with these idiots they will always think we were annoyed by the bells and retaliated but didnt at all.

This is why Thailand is not civilized. Theres no empathy for anyone else and there is a constant brain washing that thais are somehow different and culture is somehow significant. Well heres a fact. No one is significant, get over it, live life and be fair and treat everyone equally so we can enjoy our little time on this planet.

Im disgusted in the story. Absolutely furious because there seems a real anger at foreigners being displayed yet again.

After your post, better keep your suitcase at hand ????

1 hour ago, 8OA8 said:

Then you don't want to chose to live beside an existing annoyance. Similar to buying a house below the flight path of a major airport and then complaining about the noisy aeroplanes. Building a house opposite a school and then complain about traffic at certain times of the day, or the children being too noisy at playtime.  Build a house in the middle of an industrial estate and then complain about the noise from the surrounding factories. Building in the countryside and then complain about the noise of the farm animals early morning. 

Every one of these above examples would have major resistance to develop their non residential project individual had that area previously been a residential area.

I think the lesson to be learnt is to chose carefully where you purchase property and don't expect to change existing things just because they don't suit your lifestyle. 

I doubt if anyone views a property at 4.00am so how would you know before you stayed there? My solution, before renting a place, was to stay 2-3 days in the nearest hotel to see if I liked the area. 

3 hours ago, Khun Paul said:

The world doesn't give a rat's fart about Thailand. It is an insignificant Asian backwater which has no influence on the rest of the world in any way.

Archived