S Korean fleeced by Chiang Mai bar gets a refund

snoop1130

5 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Disgraceful, the entire sum should have been refunded. The police should not negotiate with illegally operating business but compel them to settle a full refund and compensation for cheating and causing great inconvenience not to.mention the damage caused to the image of Chiang Mai

Totally agree, make them pay for being a robber in the first place, along with a shutdown.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Disgraceful, the entire sum should have been refunded. The police should not negotiate with illegally operating business but compel them to settle a full refund and compensation for cheating and causing great inconvenience not to.mention the damage caused to the image of Chiang Mai

as well as  shutting down the venue

He was lucky to get his money back. Possibly because he reported this to his embassy and he had Thai friends to help him!

Most customers that are scammed at the CM karaoke venues are rough-handled until they pay up and the police don't want to know about it. Perhaps the lack of police involvement is due to the fact that many CM karaoke outlets are . . . owned by police?

When I had a bar on Patpong, we had a customer come in and, of course, the 'ladies' encouraged him to "ring-the-bell" which he did, several times. When it came time to pay his bill, he didn't have near enough to pay the bill. He paid what he had but then said he didn't have money to get back to his ship. I gave 500 baht to get to Klong Toey. About 2 hours later  he returned and began ringing the bell. He explained that my giving him the money to get back to his ship made him feel good.

3 hours ago, donnacha said:

I do not doubt that individuals can have bad experiences at any given immigration office (particularly if they dress poorly, have body odor issues and are visibly embittered), but I have never had anything but polite, friendly service from Chiang Mai immigration.

It is in a nice, relaxed, uncrowded location, the Promenada Resort Mall. Dealing with bureaucracy is never fun but, having traveled extensively, I can say that Chiang Mai has one of the better immigration offices on the planet.

It is also worth pointing out that immigration at Chiang Mai airport is miles ahead of either of the Bangkok airports in terms of friendliness and professionalism, to the extent that I am happy to pay substantially more to fly directly into Chiang Mai rather than via Bangkok. 

As for the karaoke bars, I have never understood why people are not aware, from the moment they are effusively greeted at the front door, that they are about to be, at the very least, overcharged. Chiang Mai is not a party town, but there are plenty of friendly bars, there are even girlie bars if you need a desperate single mother to tell you that you are a "hansum man mak", but if you need the industrial-strength illusion provided by karaoke bars, frankly, you would be better off in Pattaya.

The preference to live in Chiang Mai is an IQ test of sorts: the lack of a beach and large-scale prostitution means that you do not have to deal with the category of farang for whom those things are important.

Sigh... You need to keep up. Immigration has moved from Promenada. 

Do you get out much ?

7 hours ago, crazykopite said:

He should have had all his money returned and the police should have closed the bar down if it had of been a farang  bar it would of been closed indefinitely until big money had changed hands.

Many of the bars are either owned by policemen or they have hefty pay-offs from them.  Let's not expect anything to be played by the rule book when it comes to Thai nightlife.

Post by the "Grammar police" has been removed.

See forum netiquette.....
3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native English speaker and posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

5 hours ago, Media1 said:

A former club owner and entrepreneur told me Changmai is run by Chinese Thais with shifty outlook although very cunning. Many people disappear. This is a old scam. No speaky Thai or English. The 40k went to the police lol. The word reform is a dream 

There’s no need to be a ageist, anyway many Thai Women over 30 often prefer Farangs for many different reasons. Personally I think retirees should drawn the line at about 35 and over as the chances of a developing relationship below that age is limited. It’s pretty tough anyway different, culture, religion, mentality, education, class etc but gosh she got such a lovely smile ....

5 hours ago, dave moir said:

There's nothing wrong with Chiang Mai! It's a great place to live especially if you're not trying to relive your youth by going out pulling girls some young enough to be granddaughters! Are you trying to say it doesn't happen in the likes of Pattaya or Bangkok? 

Do not be ageist ...it’s not so bad if they are over 34 upwards as they appreciate Farangs and may not have had good expereience of Thai men. Meanwhile Farang retirees get a younger lady both possibly pretty and somewhat mature. But not below 30 yes too much to add on to already big differences of cultural, educational, religious, class gap etc

3 hours ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

No not at all, so no need to get hysterical.

I can see though you will run into even more controntation and  issues than you have already mentioned the longer you are in Chiang Mai. 

Hmm, you seem confused. That emoticon is laughing, and yes at the silly irrelevant question.

I've had no "confrontation" are you lost on who is saying what in the thread?

A careful read of my post would show I "encountered" (think "witnessed") undesirable farang behavior. That is a whole different animal.

Hope this helps ????

Well, either our Kimchi friend still had a hell of a night, I mean B 40'000 for a karaoke outing is not to be sneezed at, or some money evaporated between the karaoke owner refunding the full amount and the Khon Gawlee receiving 75%. 

13 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

RE - Disgraceful, the entire sum should have been refunded

How on earth can you expect the police to negotiate away their negotiation bonus...??...:smile:

16 hours ago, jesimps said:

Another bullet point to add to my long list of reasons never to visit Chiang Mai again. Why does any farang choose to settle in that grithole of a place?

And this is the shame of it. Your reaction is natural. One bad story is enough to kill a lot of tourism, a lot of potential revenue which Thailand needs badly. And Thailand is well aware of the importance of a good and safe place for tourists, the importance of the tourist trade. Regardless of some folks criticism of the police, still, they went to bat for the guy and made an example of this one bar. I live 6 months a year in Thailand , 6 years now, and always spend a week in Chiang Mai, and a week in Pai. To you jesimps, if you're firmly against going back to Chiang Mai, I recommend you go to Chiang Mai and then straight north for about a 45 minute mini bus ride from Chiang Mai and visit Pai. There is none of the con artist tourist fleecing as you see in chiang mai. It's a very charming place, very lively night life with lots of music and great night markets, wonderful atmosphere, and many local mountain Hmong people as well as some very nice Burmese natives from Myanmar. They are people of big hearts and spirits. Many backpackers and expats, a very low key and chill place. Everything is zen, peaceful, everyone happy and smiling, bars with outdoor decks, unbelievably cheap food as  well as cheap rooms. Wonderful scenery. As to Chiang Mai, I would recommend you not judge it by this one incident. This kind of scam is well known, and it's an easily spotted one, easily avoided such that your Chiang Mai experience need not be tainted. This poor guy just didn't do his homework ahead of time, which dictates that you use caution around bar girls in general, don't throw in with an unchecked "party" mindset, pay for your drinks one at a time, take photos and videos of everyone, always look at the bill for each drink before paying so that you know exactly how much you're spending, don't ask or rely on tuk tuk or taxi drivers to take you someplace they recommend (only get advice from expats or the owners of your room before going out,) , don't get drunk past your ability to stay on top of things, I recommend you don't get drunk at all first time out on the time, just a mild buzz, and don't go out without a buddy unless you know how to steer clear of this kind of thing. I stay on Loi Kroh Rd every time, there are a quite a few small bars with bar girls but they are nice and do not try the stuff that this victim was exposed to. Often as not, they won't even hustle you for a drink at first, they will just chat you up until you're having fun and then it's up to you how many drinks you buy for them. I have never left without feeling that my money was well spent on girls who were honest about their work and genuinely wanted you to have a good time. There are a few bar girls I know by name and they always welcome me with genuine affection. I can recommend two excellent guest houses, BeeBeez within the boundaries of the Old City,  and Soi Sabai in the center of Loi Kroh's bustling day and night life. BeeBeez books direct from their website, and they book no more than a month in advance. The owners are wonderful, the other guests are always interesting and great to hang out with, and if you give Chiang Mai a chance it will prove to be a very wonderful place. It has some very unique shops, and the night markets are stupendous; they feature live music street performers and dancers and the usual legendary street food. There are some wonderful day trips available from elephant treks to zoos to zip lining and more. Thailand needs more good folks like yourself to come visit, and people like myself are always happy to see new faces. 

18 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

While I agree with you they can't have him return all the money or there would be nothing for the police. Hopefully between the fine and the police cut his last 60k from the charge sees him with nothing.

19 hours ago, DonaldBattles said:

Some Thais think you need to screw everybody you can today as there may not be an opportunity tomorrow. They are masters at doing so.

Yes without any  rancour or bitterness I think that this is a correct statement but completely ignores the facts  that the same words could be said for any people from any Country   in the world 

18 hours ago, ianf said:

"Today a Thai group of about 80 riders rode from Mae Hia to Chom Thong, a round trip of 100km run at about 42kmph."

Not for a moment am I doubting you Ianf but up in them thar hills 42 KPH or was that just on the downhill bits? 

Multiple troll, bickering and baiting posts removed also replies.

EDIT

A flame has now been removed, you need to stop this bickering now or someone will be going on holiday

On 10/6/2018 at 9:06 PM, YogaVeg said:

Quite the reputation for it, I read stories months before I got here.

Still, this price seems insanely expensive...

The PRICE is exactly why CM is  NOTED as being different to any other Thai Karaoke in Thailand.

All of them want the client to be generous.

After all , and right across Thailand  , its usually just Thai women of any appearance getting up and mangling a song  and the males buying a few garlands.

Whats different about CM is that stupendous bills often  ensue ... if the client is a foreigner.

And NOTHING is done about the rip off !

Nothing !

In this example , the Korean complained TWICE to the local Police , and did so with his Embassy behind him.

And still lost 60,000 ( nearly 2,000 US dollars )  baht to a joint not operating within the Law !

How does this NOT muddy the reputation of formerly lovely Chiang Mai ?

AS I said before , this scam has been going on forever ...

On 10/6/2018 at 2:24 AM, jesimps said:

Another bullet point to add to my long list of reasons never to visit Chiang Mai again. Why does any farang choose to settle in that grithole of a place?

Just as well never visit anywhere again then. That one would berate an entire city (a great one at that) for the sake of one dodgy outlet seems to be outstanding logic. The moral should surely be AVOID KARAOKE BARS!

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Just as well never visit anywhere again then. That one would berate an entire city (a great one at that) for the sake of one dodgy outlet seems to be outstanding logic. The moral should surely be AVOID KARAOKE BARS!

???? Agreed. Good luck finding a place which has never had one bad news story. It's common knowledge that karaoke places are to be avoided in Thailand. Take it or leave it.

A little research goes a long way people...

CM has a lot to like.

On 10/6/2018 at 8:24 AM, jesimps said:

Because Chiang Mai is not a grithole at all, because some stupid horny guys have a brain failure everytime they see cute girls smiling at them.
One of the first things I got told when I moved to CM was to avoid the venues at Chang Klan and Chiang Mai Land...

On 10/7/2018 at 7:24 AM, n210mp said:

Not for a moment am I doubting you Ianf but up in them thar hills 42 KPH or was that just on the downhill bits? 

Downhill hits 50kph. Im following in the bunch of Thai Racing cyclists. The bunch has its own dragging effect. But the av by the time we got back to Mae Hia with the cool down was 35.9. You can verify this on Strava.

9 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

???? Agreed. Good luck finding a place which has never had one bad news story. It's common knowledge that karaoke places are to be avoided in Thailand. Take it or leave it.

CM has a lot to like.

9 hours ago, YogaVeg said:

CM has a lot to like.

Archived