S Korean fleeced by Chiang Mai bar gets a refund

snoop1130

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Sigh.....predictable ignorant CM expat post.

Touche! Typical ignorance and obvious grapes from someone who's never lived here but perhaps was ripped off once in the wrong hole of a weekend ????

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

Another bullet point to add to my long list of reasons never to visit Chiang Mai again. Why does any farang choose to settle in that grithole of a place?

Same reason that I dont go to Hua Hin , someone got over charged in a restaurant there and I vowed never ever to go there because of that

I think this is hilarious, and all the more funny for seeing the horror in the replies from the good upstanding farung residents, living in Chiang Mai Spa for the benefit of its clean air and many temples.

I always thought these rows of pretty girls showing their legs along the walkways were employed by TAT to brighten up the City, just  like the rows of fairy lights along Brighton seafront. It did seem an extraordinary price to pay for public entertainment but I had no idea there were iffy goings on behind the curtains.  

Same thing happened to a mate of mine, but he was 'only' charged THB80,000 for two beers, then physically assaulted by the manageress when he questioned the bill. The police, who were conveniently waiting outside the karaoke bar, were called and the magnaminous bar owner eventually settled for THB40,000. Avoid these places like the plague

1 hour ago, bipper said:

Probably because of the traffic being miniscule compared to Bkk and the fact that it's got everything that city has. Its cheaper to live, rent, eat, drink. Oh and not every foreigner goes to Karaoke holes in CM nor even drinks on Loy Khro road even though it's there if you want it. Friendly people the right places dont Rio you off. Another thing the climates better we're just heading into our coveted winter season its probably 20c outside now, some cloud no rain. So my question is if you avoid such holes as posted why would you live anywhere else in Thailand? 

Shuuussh , dont tell everyone .

We dont want them all coming up here ...........................terrible in CM , the pollution, traffic jams , 160 000 Baht for a beer in a karaoke 

1 hour ago, Wallander4 said:

Chiang Mai - infamous for their Karaoke scams and worst Immigration on the Planet … s-hole

I do not doubt that individuals can have bad experiences at any given immigration office (particularly if they dress poorly, have body odor issues and are visibly embittered), but I have never had anything but polite, friendly service from Chiang Mai immigration.

It is in a nice, relaxed, uncrowded location, the Promenada Resort Mall. Dealing with bureaucracy is never fun but, having traveled extensively, I can say that Chiang Mai has one of the better immigration offices on the planet.

It is also worth pointing out that immigration at Chiang Mai airport is miles ahead of either of the Bangkok airports in terms of friendliness and professionalism, to the extent that I am happy to pay substantially more to fly directly into Chiang Mai rather than via Bangkok. 

As for the karaoke bars, I have never understood why people are not aware, from the moment they are effusively greeted at the front door, that they are about to be, at the very least, overcharged. Chiang Mai is not a party town, but there are plenty of friendly bars, there are even girlie bars if you need a desperate single mother to tell you that you are a "hansum man mak", but if you need the industrial-strength illusion provided by karaoke bars, frankly, you would be better off in Pattaya.

The preference to live in Chiang Mai is an IQ test of sorts: the lack of a beach and large-scale prostitution means that you do not have to deal with the category of farang for whom those things are important.

1 hour ago, Wallander4 said:

Chiang Mai - infamous for their Karaoke scams and worst Immigration on the Planet … s-hole

People complain alot but in my eight years in Chiang Mai never had a problem with immigration. Karaoke Bars nver been forced into one nor have any desire to go, plenty of places to drink and have fun

Traveled all over the world for work and pleasure. Tourist rip offs happen in every country in the world, every race, every religion, every culture especially in Karoke bars. Sometimes I think some TVF posters have been to two countries in their life - their home country and Thailand. Their home country was so great that they move thousands of miles to Thailand to live and bash it every day.

To me that is a waste of time and a miserable way of life. Peace ✌️ 

3 minutes ago, moe666 said:

People complain alot but in my eight years in Chiang Mai never had a problem with immigration. Karaoke Bars nver been forced into one nor have any desire to go, plenty of places to drink and have fun

Ive always found CM immigration to be very polite and helpful as well .

Even when it got busy a few years ago , they often stayed working to 8 PM to serve everyone and it wasnt their fault that they were understaffed .

They suffered as much as the customers and they spent years appealing to BKK for a bigger immigration office with more staff .

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Jeong Geunbok, 46, agreed to withdraw his police complaint against the Forever karaoke bar after its manager Chaiwat Songchaiwan, 35, showed up at police station and returned the money.

I think the guys is a complete moron. However, it would be interesting to know who actually owns the bar, how many cops it has on it's payroll, and what the 'discount' would be if he was a Chinese tourist?

4 minutes ago, George Aylesham said:

I've no experience of the Karaoke bars in Chiang Mai but in in my three years here have had nothing but courtesy from the competent Immigration staff I have dealt with.

You are working hard on your visa extension, right? 

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

Another bullet point to add to my long list of reasons never to visit Chiang Mai again. Why does any farang choose to settle in that grithole of a place?

There's nothing wrong with Chiang Mai! It's a great place to live especially if you're not trying to relive your youth by going out pulling girls some young enough to be granddaughters! Are you trying to say it doesn't happen in the likes of Pattaya or Bangkok? 

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

Doubt if any tears will be shed over your absence.

A former club owner and entrepreneur told me Changmai is run by Chinese Thais with shifty outlook although very cunning. Many people disappear. This is a old scam. No speaky Thai or English. The 40k went to the police lol. The word reform is a dream 

2 hours ago, bipper said:

As for CM immigration I've been on a retirement for 10 years and I can categorically state no problem ever!!! I've never been asked for anything other than the correct documents and the correct fee. My experience confirms if you are intelligent with immigration provide the correct paperwork they are no problem... Anywhere. Or maybe my intelligent friends and I are just lucky ????

It is very presumptuous what you said, " Me and my intelligent friends":cheesy: 

In Koh Samui a few years ago the boss of immigration, who was fired since, and had big problems about it, asked regularly for 5000 B instead of 1900 B for the annual extensions, by the way, most of the residents for a long time on Koh Samui knew about this man.  And the first year knowing nothing I paid 5000 ฿ for my extension without suspecting for a moment that I was robbed since everything was in order at 100%. I did not realize it until some time later!  

4 hours ago, jesimps said:

to each his or her own. near 20 yrs in CM and not bored. sounds like you need to stay away with your attitude.

33 minutes ago, George Aylesham said:

I've no experience of the Karaoke bars in Chiang Mai but in in my three years here have had nothing but courtesy from the competent Immigration staff I have dealt with.

Did you ever tried the 3am queueing to get a number for extension? :bah:

4 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Disgraceful, the entire sum should have been refunded. The police should not negotiate with illegally operating business but compel them to settle a full refund and compensation for cheating and causing great inconvenience not to.mention the damage caused to the image of Chiang Mai

The police certainly knew of all the bars modulus operandi ... it is just like a game for them. If you get caught by the customer’s complaint in the news, then the said bar just have to make restitution to the customer. If not, everybody make hay when the sun shines . The 40,000 baht is to remind the Korean that yes, he had been scalped but he was indeed lucky to get away from the mafia for a small loss... 

4 hours ago, jesimps said:

It depends what you do. Those of us who don't hang out in bars enjoy Chiang Mai for many other reasons. In my case, as a cyclist, I can ride with overseas visitors or with the the Thais. Today a Thai group of about 80 riders rode from Mae Hia to Chom Thong, a round trip of 100km run at about 42kmph. You couldn't have nicer roads to ride on and you couldn't find a nicer bunch of people. But off course if you come here to spend your time in Karoke Bars, well its the same the world over. German cities are equally as notorious. Get an unsuspecting customer. Get his credit card and rip him off. For what? Nothing wrong with Chiang Mai. A lot wrong with stupid people who inhabit these type of bars.

17 minutes ago, Media1 said:

A former club owner and entrepreneur told me Changmai is run by Chinese Thais with shifty outlook although very cunning. Many people disappear. This is a old scam. No speaky Thai or English. The 40k went to the police lol. The word reform is a dream 

Chiangmai historically  was inhabitated by migrants from the north ( Laos and yunnan province) . Many Chinese genes there. 

2 minutes ago, ianf said:

It depends what you do. Those of us who don't hang out in bars enjoy Chiang Mai for many other reasons. In my case, as a cyclist, I can ride with overseas visitors or with the the Thais. Today a Thai group of about 80 riders rode from Mae Hia to Chom Thong, a round trip of 100km run at about 42kmph. You couldn't have nicer roads to ride on and you couldn't find a nicer bunch of people. But off course if you come here to spend your time in Karoke Bars, well its the same the world over. German cities are equally as notorious. Get an unsuspecting customer. Get his credit card and rip him off. For what? Nothing wrong with Chiang Mai. A lot wrong with stupid people who inhabit these type of bars.

I agree. Chiangmai is one of the loveliest city to stay in retirement. Regardless of the burning season. Hey, I can always go to other places during that period. Couldn’t wait to move to chiangmai from Bangkok when my kids grow up.... ????

1 hour ago, Lupatria said:

I think the guys is a complete moron. However, it would be interesting to know who actually owns the bar, how many cops it has on it's payroll, and what the 'discount' would be if he was a Chinese tourist?

The guy is savvy enough to get out with the refund. Who knows if the police has an interest in that bar. He could be set up with false charges ( easily done in thailand) if he pushes too much.. take it as lesson learned. 

2 hours ago, TSF said:

Sounds like a very green sort of guy to just roll up at a bar and sit at a table full of bargals buying drinks for them all and drinking heavily himself without giving any thought to the bill that must be paid at the end of it all.

He must be thinking that he had just struck a jackpot with all those girls to choose from. ... outwitted  by the bargirls wiles...

Archived