BANGKOK 26 March 2019 01:59
snoop1130

S Korean fleeced by Chiang Mai bar gets a refund

5 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Disgraceful, the entire sum should have been refunded. The police should not negotiate with illegally operating business but compel them to settle a full refund and compensation for cheating and causing great inconvenience not to.mention the damage caused to the image of Chiang Mai

Totally agree, make them pay for being a robber in the first place, along with a shutdown.

6 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Disgraceful, the entire sum should have been refunded. The police should not negotiate with illegally operating business but compel them to settle a full refund and compensation for cheating and causing great inconvenience not to.mention the damage caused to the image of Chiang Mai

as well as  shutting down the venue

He was lucky to get his money back. Possibly because he reported this to his embassy and he had Thai friends to help him!

Most customers that are scammed at the CM karaoke venues are rough-handled until they pay up and the police don't want to know about it. Perhaps the lack of police involvement is due to the fact that many CM karaoke outlets are . . . owned by police?

When I had a bar on Patpong, we had a customer come in and, of course, the 'ladies' encouraged him to "ring-the-bell" which he did, several times. When it came time to pay his bill, he didn't have near enough to pay the bill. He paid what he had but then said he didn't have money to get back to his ship. I gave 500 baht to get to Klong Toey. About 2 hours later  he returned and began ringing the bell. He explained that my giving him the money to get back to his ship made him feel good.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, donnacha said:

I do not doubt that individuals can have bad experiences at any given immigration office (particularly if they dress poorly, have body odor issues and are visibly embittered), but I have never had anything but polite, friendly service from Chiang Mai immigration.

It is in a nice, relaxed, uncrowded location, the Promenada Resort Mall. Dealing with bureaucracy is never fun but, having traveled extensively, I can say that Chiang Mai has one of the better immigration offices on the planet.

It is also worth pointing out that immigration at Chiang Mai airport is miles ahead of either of the Bangkok airports in terms of friendliness and professionalism, to the extent that I am happy to pay substantially more to fly directly into Chiang Mai rather than via Bangkok. 

As for the karaoke bars, I have never understood why people are not aware, from the moment they are effusively greeted at the front door, that they are about to be, at the very least, overcharged. Chiang Mai is not a party town, but there are plenty of friendly bars, there are even girlie bars if you need a desperate single mother to tell you that you are a "hansum man mak", but if you need the industrial-strength illusion provided by karaoke bars, frankly, you would be better off in Pattaya.

The preference to live in Chiang Mai is an IQ test of sorts: the lack of a beach and large-scale prostitution means that you do not have to deal with the category of farang for whom those things are important.

Sigh... You need to keep up. Immigration has moved from Promenada. 

Do you get out much ?

Edited by SpeakeasyThai

7 hours ago, crazykopite said:

He should have had all his money returned and the police should have closed the bar down if it had of been a farang  bar it would of been closed indefinitely until big money had changed hands.

Many of the bars are either owned by policemen or they have hefty pay-offs from them.  Let's not expect anything to be played by the rule book when it comes to Thai nightlife.

Post by the "Grammar police" has been removed.

See forum netiquette.....
3. If possible please proofread your post first, poor grammar and spelling can make the post difficult to understand. However be aware that not every member is a native English speaker and posts regarding others spelling and grammar not only hijacks the topic but is poor netiquette.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wullie Mercer said:

Totally agree, make them pay for being a robber in the first place, along with a shutdown.

The Police are just as bad as the Karaoke establishment. Two peas in the same pod, but hey whats new as graft, greed and easy Money is God in Los.

5 hours ago, Media1 said:

A former club owner and entrepreneur told me Changmai is run by Chinese Thais with shifty outlook although very cunning. Many people disappear. This is a old scam. No speaky Thai or English. The 40k went to the police lol. The word reform is a dream 

There’s no need to be a ageist, anyway many Thai Women over 30 often prefer Farangs for many different reasons. Personally I think retirees should drawn the line at about 35 and over as the chances of a developing relationship below that age is limited. It’s pretty tough anyway different, culture, religion, mentality, education, class etc but gosh she got such a lovely smile ....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dave moir said:

There's nothing wrong with Chiang Mai! It's a great place to live especially if you're not trying to relive your youth by going out pulling girls some young enough to be granddaughters! Are you trying to say it doesn't happen in the likes of Pattaya or Bangkok? 

Do not be ageist ...it’s not so bad if they are over 34 upwards as they appreciate Farangs and may not have had good expereience of Thai men. Meanwhile Farang retirees get a younger lady both possibly pretty and somewhat mature. But not below 30 yes too much to add on to already big differences of cultural, educational, religious, class gap etc

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

No not at all, so no need to get hysterical.

I can see though you will run into even more controntation and  issues than you have already mentioned the longer you are in Chiang Mai. 

Hmm, you seem confused. That emoticon is laughing, and yes at the silly irrelevant question.

I've had no "confrontation" are you lost on who is saying what in the thread?

A careful read of my post would show I "encountered" (think "witnessed") undesirable farang behavior. That is a whole different animal.

Hope this helps 😘

Edited by YogaVeg
  • Haha 1

Well, either our Kimchi friend still had a hell of a night, I mean B 40'000 for a karaoke outing is not to be sneezed at, or some money evaporated between the karaoke owner refunding the full amount and the Khon Gawlee receiving 75%.