BANGKOK 21 March 2019 04:57
snoop1130

S Korean fleeced by Chiang Mai bar gets a refund

40,000 baht remains a brutal scam, perhaps a 3rd meeting is in order...

13 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Disgraceful, the entire sum should have been refunded. The police should not negotiate with illegally operating business but compel them to settle a full refund and compensation for cheating and causing great inconvenience not to.mention the damage caused to the image of Chiang Mai

RE - Disgraceful, the entire sum should have been refunded

How on earth can you expect the police to negotiate away their negotiation bonus...??...:smile:

Karaokes in Chiang Mai have been doing this FOREVER ...

12 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

Karaokes in Chiang Mai have been doing this FOREVER ...

Quite the reputation for it, I read stories months before I got here.

Still, this price seems insanely expensive...

Another bullet point to add to my long list of reasons never to visit Chiang Mai again. Why does any farang choose to settle in that grithole of a place?

Probably the ones that don't go to those sort of joints.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Disgraceful, the entire sum should have been refunded. The police should not negotiate with illegally operating business but compel them to settle a full refund and compensation for cheating and causing great inconvenience not to.mention the damage caused to the image of Chiang Mai

While I agree with you they can't have him return all the money or there would be nothing for the police. Hopefully between the fine and the police cut his last 60k from the charge sees him with nothing.

Another classic example of why I never go to bars or clubs in Thailand, period. It's bad enough trying to get out of the buffet places without getting fleeced for eating food that is 'OK' and not really great.

Edited by Jimdandy

19 hours ago, DonaldBattles said:

Some Thais think you need to screw everybody you can today as there may not be an opportunity tomorrow. They are masters at doing so.

Yes without any  rancour or bitterness I think that this is a correct statement but completely ignores the facts  that the same words could be said for any people from any Country   in the world 

18 hours ago, ianf said:

"Today a Thai group of about 80 riders rode from Mae Hia to Chom Thong, a round trip of 100km run at about 42kmph."

Not for a moment am I doubting you Ianf but up in them thar hills 42 KPH or was that just on the downhill bits? 

On 10/6/2018 at 9:06 PM, YogaVeg said:

Quite the reputation for it, I read stories months before I got here.

Still, this price seems insanely expensive...

The PRICE is exactly why CM is  NOTED as being different to any other Thai Karaoke in Thailand.

All of them want the client to be generous.

After all , and right across Thailand  , its usually just Thai women of any appearance getting up and mangling a song  and the males buying a few garlands.

Whats different about CM is that stupendous bills often  ensue ... if the client is a foreigner.

And NOTHING is done about the rip off !

Nothing !

In this example , the Korean complained TWICE to the local Police , and did so with his Embassy behind him.

And still lost 60,000 ( nearly 2,000 US dollars )  baht to a joint not operating within the Law !

How does this NOT muddy the reputation of formerly lovely Chiang Mai ?

AS I said before , this scam has been going on forever ...

On 10/6/2018 at 2:24 AM, jesimps said:

Another bullet point to add to my long list of reasons never to visit Chiang Mai again. Why does any farang choose to settle in that grithole of a place?

Just as well never visit anywhere again then. That one would berate an entire city (a great one at that) for the sake of one dodgy outlet seems to be outstanding logic. The moral should surely be AVOID KARAOKE BARS!

9 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Just as well never visit anywhere again then. That one would berate an entire city (a great one at that) for the sake of one dodgy outlet seems to be outstanding logic. The moral should surely be AVOID KARAOKE BARS!

🙏 Agreed. Good luck finding a place which has never had one bad news story. It's common knowledge that karaoke places are to be avoided in Thailand. Take it or leave it.

A little research goes a long way people...

CM has a lot to like.

Edited by YogaVeg

On 10/6/2018 at 8:24 AM, jesimps said:

Because Chiang Mai is not a grithole at all, because some stupid horny guys have a brain failure everytime they see cute girls smiling at them.
One of the first things I got told when I moved to CM was to avoid the venues at Chang Klan and Chiang Mai Land...

• Like 1