Norwegian tourist killed in Chiang Rai motorbike crash

webfact

Norwegian tourist killed in Chiang Rai motorbike crash

By The Nation

aiak7jg5ca9c858aj6dai.jpg

Picture: Komchadluek

A Norwegian tourist died Sunday evening when the motorbike he was riding crashed into another bike that cut into his path on a Chiang Rai road, police said.

Police said Ing McNus Bartholl (not official spelling), 29, was killed in the accident, which occurred in front of the Rajabhat Chiang Rai University in Muang district at 5.30pm.

Two Thai men on the other motorcycle were severely injured. Neither was carrying any ID so police have yet to identify them as they recover from their injuries at Chiang Rai Hospital.

Police said the Norwegian tourist was riding a large Kawasaki motorcycle with a Bangkok license plate from Mae Chan to Muang district when the other motorcycle, apparently wanting to make a u-turn at the spot, cut in front of him, resulting in the crash.

The tourist entered the kingdom on September 11 via the Chiang Khong district border checkpoint and has been staying in Chiang Rai’s Muang district.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356012

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-08

Looking at the only photo provided, the Kaw doesn't look like it's damaged very much, which leads me to believe it wasn't going all that fast.  My guess, and it's only just that, is that the Norwegian wasn't wearing a helmet.  Head vs road = road almost always wins. 

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

Looking at the only photo provided, the Kaw doesn't look like it's damaged very much, which leads me to believe it wasn't going all that fast.  My guess, and it's only just that, is that the Norwegian wasn't wearing a helmet.  Head vs road = road almost always wins. 

I shake my (helmeted) head when I see westerners riding around Thailand without helmets. I know the wind in the hair, I'm on holiday and free feeling is great, but as you say, the road wins every time. It turns what could be a moderate crash - broken bones etc, into a fatal crash. 

I know there is the school of thought that the locals do it because it's what they've always done, but there aren't many western countries where motorbike helmets aren't mandatory

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Pure speculation of course on your part... but thanks for the guess !

2 hours ago, SammyT said:

I shake my (helmeted) head when I see westerners riding around Thailand without helmets. I know the wind in the hair, I'm on holiday and free feeling is great, but as you say, the road wins every time. It turns what could be a moderate crash - broken bones etc, into a fatal crash. 

I know there is the school of thought that the locals do it because it's what they've always done, but there aren't many western countries where motorbike helmets aren't mandatory

You have to take on board the fact no helmet required for locals as nothing worth protecting. Not like they have brains, or logic. As for common sense.... Lol.

4 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

The same motorbike with a front view.

Knowing it was not a collision with a car but with another motorbike, leads me to believe it wasn't going all that slow.

nowegian tourist.jpeg

3 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

The same motorbike with a front view.

Knowing it was not a collision with a car but with another motorbike, leads me to believe it wasn't going all that slow.

nowegian tourist.jpeg

Studying both photos, there does not appear to be a loose helmet lying in the vicinity of the bike. Perhaps he was taken to the morgue still wearing it. RIP.

Rip to the victim but shouldn't the police or press trying to report correct names or hide them completely as it doesn't have any value to the reader anyway.
I am quite sure his middle name is Magnus and not McNus as in the news article.

13 hours ago, Vacuum said:

I hope they don't recover.

I do hope they recover, It was an Accident, and maybe the Norwegian guy, and he may rest in peace, maybe he was speeding so the people you hope don't recover thought they had plenty of time for a u-turn.

7 hours ago, Eaglekott said:

I do hope they recover, It was an Accident, and maybe the Norwegian guy, and he may rest in peace, maybe he was speeding so the people you hope don't recover thought they had plenty of time for a u-turn.

You know what thought did don't you, "He thought he had but he hadn't"

So the carnage continues

Archived