Two foreign tourists fatally injured in Bangkok mall shooting

webfact

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

Senit said police have yet to investigate the type of rifles used but spent shells from the AK47 assault rile were found at the scene.

That makes no sense at all.

If they don't know the type of rifles how do they know that the spent shells (empty cases) were from an AK47.

The AK47 uses 7.62mm ammunition but so do many other rifles/assault rifles.

The caliber may be the same but not all 7.62 assault rifles fire the same ammunition. There are different shell casings and sizes.

47 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

One thing I know in the LOS is try not to upset Thais anywhere they can come back and bite you In the bum at anytime.i have seen lots of iccidents over the years and I watch  learn and listen when that happens

I believe that the tourists were inadvertently caught in the crossfire.

Thais upsetting Thais appears to be the number one killer in the kingdom by a long chalk.

However your point remains a very valid one.

The problem for anyone when assault weapons are used is that there is nowhere to go if you re in the open.  By the time you near the weapons a lot of bullets have left the rifle.  Unfortunately another part of western society has reached Thailand.

As to why not front page.  Easy they want to keep it on the down low so that they do not scare people or give the gangs publicity. 

2 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

Senit said police have yet to investigate the type of rifles used but spent shells from the AK47 assault rile were found at the scene.

If they don't know the type of rifles how do they know that the spent shells (empty cases) were from an AK47.

It makes absolute sense.

The first figure of 7.62 indicates the calibre of the bullet in mm. The next figure (which has not been quoted) is the length of the case in mm.

While the calibre is the same a 7.62 round will not fit any weapon.

A couple of links for you. I only know this as I did a Google search.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232732

https://www.peakprosperity.com/wsidblog/81183/understanding-ammunition

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/rifle/762mm_ammo.html

Keep in mind that the police probably interviewed a number of witnesses at the scene and may have even had some CCTV footage which, along with the physical evidence, led them to believe that one or more of the weapons used was from the "AK" family.

I doubt too many of the witnesses would be able to tell the difference based on sound though. Most of them couldn't tell the difference between a firecracker, engine backfire, M-16 or an AK if their lives depended on it. (Sheesh, we had one short "class" on that during Infantry basic training where we spent maybe an hour listening to different weapons being fired at night and that was it.)

Keep in mind that weapons are probably pretty easy to come by here - if you know the right people. Remember back when we had all the political protests between the "Reds and Yellows" that some here seem to miss a lot (as they constantly lament about how bad things have been since the last coup) ?
The ones where protesters were being shot by "men in black" and where people were throwing hand grenades ? "War" weapons are available and are in use. Thankfully not on the same level as a lot of places in the Middle East or Africa though.

Most of the gang fights in Thailand don't usually escalate to firearms though and even then, in the odd case where someone is caught with one it's usually some old revolver or homemade piece of junk that looks like it was made in someone's welding shop.
Using AKs (or similar weapons) would be taking things up a very large notch on the escalation scale.

34 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

In a case of mistaken identity, I had a gun put to my head by an undercover cop. It was a very strange feeling. I felt like time stopped, and that I had turned emotionally ice cold. Based upon that, I can only conclude that many folks freeze when they are exposed to gunfire.

Yep. Thats what training is about.

2 hours ago, hanbla said:

Read yesterday "TAT asked Thai people to be good hosts to boost the tourism"....   did I miss anything?????

Against the usual procedures, I assume somebody already has a plan “B” in his drawer to prevent disaster: 
Confiscation of IconSiam and immediate transformation as described in the picture.  

6f8231c5-dfaf-4b9f-8a5c-825e6a2701b8_zps

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:
39 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

In a case of mistaken identity, I had a gun put to my head by an undercover cop. It was a very strange feeling. I felt like time stopped, and that I had turned emotionally ice cold. Based upon that, I can only conclude that many folks freeze when they are exposed to gunfire.

Yep. Thats what training is about. 

Perhaps it's worth to say that there is a difference between "hearing shots" and " having a gun put to one's head"

For experience i could say that i looked for cover in the first case, and freezed in the second case.

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The first figure of 7.62 indicates the calibre of the bullet in mm. The next figure (which has not been quoted) is the length of the case in mm.

Incorrect.

The AK/SKS series of rifles fire 7.62x39, but have a bullet diameter of 7.92 or .312

M14s, G3s, FALs fire 7.62x51, but have a bullet diameter of true 7.62 or .308

Similar to the 8mm Mauser, which is denominated as 7.92x57, but is .318 diameter in the original version but .324 in the S Patronen.

There is your cocktail party useless info of the day.

19 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It makes absolute sense.

While the calibre is the same a 7.62 round will not fit any weapon.

A couple of links for you. I only know this as I did a Google search.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232732

https://www.peakprosperity.com/wsidblog/81183/understanding-ammunition

http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/rifle/762mm_ammo.html

The next figure (which has not been quoted) is the length of the case in mm.

Exactly, so how do you know what casings were found?

Taking a stab in the dark?

I don't need links to tell me about ammunition calibers, the point is that even if it was the same cartridge used for the AK47 it does not mean that the rifle was an AK47, there are plenty of other weapons that use the 7.62 x 39 round.

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

wow. almost up to USA standards. Good job Thailand. But the way, what is a rile?

Historically, rifles only fired a single projectile with each squeeze of the trigger.

Modern rifles are commonly classified as single shot, bolt action, semi-automatic, or automatic.

Single shot, bolt action, and semi-automatic rifles are limited by their designs to fire a single shot for each trigger pull.

Only automatic rifles are capable of firing more than one round per trigger squeeze; however, some automatic rifles are limited to fixed bursts of two, three, or more rounds per squeeze.

3 hours ago, secondfusilier said:

Don’t worry it’s a statement from the media. They are probably restricted to what they can tell the media without compromising their case 

3 hours ago, TomTao said:

I hope the police have some idea which gangs were involved, the perps may already have records, if they do, track them down and get them off the streets. 

Wow, that's a pretty profound statement. I'm sure it'll really motivate the BIB.

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Incorrect.

The AK/SKS series of rifles fire 7.62x39, but have a bullet diameter of 7.92 or .312

M14s, G3s, FALs fire 7.62x51, but have a bullet diameter of true 7.62 or .308

Similar to the 8mm Mauser, which is denominated as 7.92x57, but is .318 diameter in the original version but .324 in the S Patronen.

There is your cocktail party useless info of the day.

So according to you those links that I posted are all incorrect but you have the only correct answer.

It must be wonderful to be right all the time.

Why don't you write to those sites and tell them that they are wrong and you are right.

I merely try to be helpful. 

I am sure it made no difference to the Indian guy that died whether the bullet had a diameter of 7.92 or .312.

3 minutes ago, secondfusilier said:

The next figure (which has not been quoted) is the length of the case in mm.

Exactly, so how do you know what casings were found?

Taking a stab in the dark?

I don't need links to tell me about ammunition calibers, the point is that even if it was the same cartridge used for the AK47 it does not mean that the rifle was an AK47, there are plenty of other weapons that use the 7.62 x 39 round.

It was either an AK or an SKS, one or the other and no other.  They look different and function differently. Even a rookie can tell the difference just by looking. 

Not really. The AK47 uses 7.62x39mm. The cartridge of that calibre used by NATO and aligned forced is 7.62x51mm. Based on probability (i.e. the number of AK47 rifles using 7.62x39 compared with the number of other rifles using that cartridge) it would be reasonable to assume an AK47 was used if cartridge cases of that calibre were found at the scen.

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

wow. almost up to USA standards. Good job Thailand. But the way, what is a rile?

I was waiting for some comment about the USA, which has zero to do with this Thailand incident. If you can manage past your limited view, do some checking on the countries with the highest homicide rate from firearms. It may educate you...or perhaps not. 

7,62mm means .30" calibre which in itself, tells us nothing, but AK47s shoot 7.62x39  ammo which is a distinctive cartridge and yes it is used in some other guns (like the SKS) but nearly all the guns shooting it are Soviet bloc type military firearms.  Most AK type assault rifles are of Chinese, Russian, or another soviet bloc country manufacture.  Some specific models leave distinctive marks on cartridges so they may even have finger printed the cases to an exact model.  If anyone saw the shooting, the AK looks quite a bit different from a SKS etc, so in this instance the reporting could be quite correct.

Perhaps the implication is that M16s, the more common rifle ( 5.56mm ammunition) were not used. 

Archived