Two foreign tourists fatally injured in Bangkok mall shooting

webfact

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, hansnl said:

7.62 X 39 is the cartridge for the AK family, Russian standard.

7.62 X 51 or the civilian .308 is a NATO cartridge.

Furthermore, an assault rifle is also a rifle.

The difference is that a military "assault" rifle has selective fire, semi automatic and automatic.

The iconic AK-47 and it's clones are very available on the black market.

So it is quite possible, seen the found shells, the rifles were AK-47.

Real forensic gurus can deduct a lot from the spent shells, type of weapon, kind of gunpowder, the age of the cartridge and the maker of the cartridge.

Maybe someone has mentioned it, as I am late to the party, but 7.62 is an American dimension for a .308 bore. The Russians use a 7.89 or .311 bore for both the SKS and AK-47.

Happy hunting!

26 minutes ago, Arkady said:

More likely from Cambodia.

There are so many AKs out there, and they are so indestructible, that in some places they sell for as little as $25....

Shootings and knife crime are on the rise in the UK. Thankfully those being shot are almost always rival gang members. Gang on gang, that's fine by me - let them wipe each other out.

But to open fire like this in a public place, hitting several innocent bystanders - these guys must be dumb as f* or pure evil; or both. Actually, definitely both.

RIP gentlemen

4 hours ago, PhilippBKK said:

It's a large Indian restaurant catering to Indian Tour Groups. 

Tragic case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

17800041_1384131801608699_2290824134252824243_n.jpg

Probably a decent place to eat if you like Indian food. After all, if Indians like it.... But then, I was very surprised when in China to find that the food there was nothing like the Chinese food I had been used to in the UK.

I told my wife about this and her reaction was "We're up here" (in Kalasin). In other words, it has nothing to do with her/us so she just doesn't care. And that is probably the attitude of most Thais. If it doesn't concern them directly they aren't interested, be it tourists being gunned down or who is elected to what position in the USA. They are happy in their own little bubble.

I told my wife about this and her reaction was "We're up here" (in Kalasin). In other words, it has nothing to do with her/us so she just doesn't care. And that is probably the attitude of most Thais. If it doesn't concern them directly they aren't interested, be it tourists being gunned down or who is elected to what position in the USA. They are happy in their own little bubble.
She is just being normal and agree 100%. If your going to deeply care about every vile act on the planet or every political situation you would end up a basket case

2 hours ago, Caine said:

What a know all, blah, blah, blah. Who gives a toss about your knowledge of guns. These poor people were shot dead by a GUN. End of story.

Any Gun related thread on TV always brings out the ex military elite. 

19 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Any Gun related thread on TV always brings out the ex military elite. 

Naw we just like to make sure things are correct...its a bad habit when in the US you got folks claiming that assault rifles murder folks, etc etc ad nauseum.

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

O wow, very cool, one I am not familiar with, although it seems to be based on the old gas seal 7.62 x 38 Nagant...that one was truly a biatch to reload too...you need to do like a reverse crimp...IIRC I used to use modified 30 Carbine dies and Fiocchi brass.....

Thanks for the info!

I find that if I want to comment but don't really have a clue what I am talking about Google usually helps. Wikipedia is OK but for something like this I need to find something better.

The only weapons that I used in my 25 years in the RAF were the Lee-Enfield .303 rifle that weighed 9 pounds 10 ounces and was a bastard to march with for just over a mile at a time. The Bren gun which I was taught how to use in training and never again and the SLR 7.62.

I usually managed to hit the paper target at 25 yards with both the Lee-Enfield and the SLR but never actually managed to kill it. I would probably have used them better as a club but I would have surrendered by then.

2 minutes ago, DashRye said:

Indians visit Thailand to go to India Gate to have a dinner. Dont they get tired of eating the same curry? LOL

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

No different to Westerners who go there stuffing themselves with fast food and Western delights. 

Each to their own. 

5 hours ago, Mikeasq60 said:

I see the weapon was an AK 47, not easily concealed. How on earth did he get to a well traveled area and the RTP not noticing?

With folding stock or stock completely removed and magazine removed it would easily fit into a medium sized back pack. The barrel is 16 inches long but could be cut down further.

Archived