Three french tourists face years in Thai jail for making false robbery claim on Samui

webfact

Great how they block out the faces in the first photo then reveal two of them in the next !! ????

From what I remember about a year ago two people tried the same thing in samui . They spent a month in jail before getting booted out.

If you are really going to do it then all keeping to the same story is rule one I would say and pray there isn't cctv that works within 5 miles of where you say it took place !!

Enjoy your stay !!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, alien365 said:

Considering how many crimes result in a 500 baht fine and a wai, I'd be surprised if they were sentenced to three years in prison. A large fine would be good, but prison IMO should be for thieves and people who cause physical harm

This is different, these people have attempted to defraud a big company and big companies have a lot of power.

These people are thieves and criminals because what they do increases insurance premiums for everyone, including a massive waste of police time and resources, that diverts the police away investigating criminals. 

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Why waste time locking them up in Thailand, just deport them with a 5 year ban and report them to the French Authorities and their Insurance company. 

Why should Thailand pay to keep them locked up?

Maybe giving them a dose of Thai hospitality ala bangkok Hilton to teach them a lesson? 

15 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Maybe giving them a dose of Thai hospitality ala bangkok Hilton to teach them a lesson? 

Agreed. Three years is absurd for this crime. Lock them in Bangkok Hilton for at least a solid week or two, while you process their deportation. Lesson learned on this end. Make sure they are blacklisted for life not just 5 years. Send them home, and send the paperwork to the insurance company. The insurance company will make sure they are dealt with properly back home.

15 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Agreed. Three years is absurd for this crime. Lock them in Bangkok Hilton for at least a solid week or two, while you process their deportation. Lesson learned on this end. Make sure they are blacklisted for life not just 5 years. Send them home, and send the paperwork to the insurance company. The insurance company will make sure they are dealt with properly back home.

1 hour ago, Marley01 said:

Can see the gofundme page now

I've always wondered if it's worth donating the minimum amount to one of those gofundme pages just to leave a comment laughing at the people for the stupid situation they've got themselves in

19 hours ago, SammyT said:

Had a friend who worked in insurance in NZ, he reckoned it was rife in any countries where corruption, laziness or incompetence within the police is rife. They used to get tonnes of those claims from South American countries where a couple of USD and the desk cop will write anything on the report. The old "my bag with my $5k watch, laptop, wallet and expensive camera got stolen, here's the police report" was very common. 

I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to whether the above descriptions may cover these countries...

Insurance fraud happens every where not just some countries. 

This puts spot light on genuine cases. They will be harassed for sure, when they report it.

2 Years -  16 good(King birthday, Buddhist holidays) days  will workout like 1 year and 11 and 1/2 month can play Football for French Criminal team inside the jail.
No pun intended, Koh means island, why write " island of island Samui"?

I want to understand one thing about this news, im sure someone will explain.
So, these people they got robbed or lost their possessions claiming from the insurance. What insurance? Do they insure their possessions before they travel? My understanding is that they insure everything, cash money, Jewelries, cameras, whatever they have and pay for them before they travel, is that how it works? I travelled many countries in the world, never insured anything except i bought travel health insurance. Please someone enlighten me. I cannot imagine any insurance company will insure cash money...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, moe666 said:

Insurance fraud happens every where not just some countries. 

Thanks for the newsflash. The original question was - I wonder if ASEAN countries also have similar scams being run by tourists. That was the question I originally answered, citing a friend who worked in the insurance industry investigating fraud. My friend, who has worked in the industry for over 20 years, tells me that it is more likely to happen where there is slack law enforcement - i.e. he sees far more people trying to defraud travel insurance by making false police claims when travelling to "developing" countries as opposed to when travelling to countries with effective and less-corrupt police forces. 

But I'm glad you enlightened me that it also happened in other countries too. Well done. 

Why should they be charged? Whenever women get caught filing false rape reports they just walk away. Besides ruining a life, the government  could be on the hook for thousands of dollars each year on each prisoner, plus the investigation and court costs.

Archived