No visa, lapsed visa means deportation within a month: Prawit

webfact

No visa, lapsed visa means deportation within a month

By The Nation

pravwit.jpg

FILE photo

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan has told the Immigration Bureau to intensify its crackdown on foreigners without visas or overstaying visas and deport those arrested within one month.

Lt Gen Kongcheep Tantrawanit, spokesman for the Defence Ministry, said Prawit, who oversees security affairs, gave the order at a meeting of military, police and Interior Ministry security agencies on Monday morning.

Prawit told them to step up efforts to keep foreign tourists safe and to crack down on transnational criminals who enter the Kingdom posing as tourists.

The spokesman quoted Prawit as saying the government had received complaints about foreigners involved in illegal activities and businesses in several provinces including Bangkok.

The Immigration Bureau was told to strictly enforce the law, weed out foreigners without visas and overstaying their visas and deport them within one month.

It was told to check whether foreigners doing business here were working in professions that are legally reserved for Thais alone.

Pol Maj Gen Surachate “Big Joke” Hakpal was recently promoted to acting Immigration Bureau chief after spearheading a series of raids and spot checks that have so far found more than 1,000 foreigners without visas or overstaying their visas.

The bureau announced on its website on Monday that there were 1.6 million foreigners living in Thailand between January and August.

Canadians were the biggest group – 9,872 migrants – followed by 9,583 Dutch people, 9,566 Bangladeshis and 9,483 Italians.

During the same period, more than 10 million foreign tourists entered the Kingdom, the bureau said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30356023

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-10-08

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why wait a month ? No Visa, lapsed visa, fraudulent ones whatever. On the plane back next day irrespective of whether they are back packers, dodgy property agents or even employed by a bona fide business.   Rules for one are , or should, be rules for all.   Those of us who live here and abide by the laws are sick and tired of being generalised in a bad light by these scum who think it is fine, or even fun, to dodge the rules.

14 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Immigration Bureau was told to strictly enforce the law, weed out foreigners without visas and overstaying their visas and deport them within one month.

Those who can pay for their flight are normally gone much quicker than this, with about 7-10 days the normal time to process them. It is those without money who stay in IDC for months. Does this mean that Thailand will now be paying for the fares, for those who dont have it, so as to get them on their way quickly? I suspect not, so more meaningless drivel.

2 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Those who can pay for their flight are normally gone much quicker than this, with about 7-10 days the normal time to process them. It is those without money who stay in IDC for months. Does this mean that Thailand will now be paying for the fares, for those who dont have it, so as to get them on their way quickly? I suspect not, so more meaningless drivel.

darksidedog, I was thinking exactly the same about paying for the ticket.

Regarding the meaningless drivel - c'mon, it's what he's good at.

See my regular posting of his lie about "six months". Not a single word more about it from the guy since he announced it:

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

The spokesman quoted Prawit as saying the government had received complaints about foreigners involved in illegal activities and businesses in several provinces including Bangkok.

I wonder how many of those complaints were made by genuinely concerned citizens and how many by jealous competitors.

It's Thailand's own fault for never enforcing their own rules, even on their own citizens. I guess foreigners stand out and are easy targets. Whatever they put in place just makes it harder for genuine visa/extension holders to live here, but will barely dent the numbers of foreigners flying under the radar. 

20 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:
20 hours ago, webfact said:

I wonder how many of those complaints were made by genuinely concerned citizens and how many by jealous competitors. 

I bet most of the time they'd be unaware of illegal activities. Or even, was the 'received complaints' line completely made up in order to give the impression the government is doing something about those pesky foreigners.

Maybe trying to deflect attention away from domestic issues.

Numbers of tourists doesn't seem to add up. Jan to Aug is 8 months, say 7 months 'cos it's not clear if it' s the beginning or end of August. 7 months and 10m tourists. So they have 5 months left to get the remaining 20+ million. Hmmm. Assuming the claim of 30+ million is true that is.
Works out to 130,719 people entering each and every one of the remaining 153 days. Phew!

Sent from my H4133 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yea, get them out within a month. Who cares if they don’t have money for a flight. Magically make it happen. 

Yeah, use the "returning happiness to the Thai people" fund by repatriating them.

When there's no foreigners left, who will they blame for all of Thailand's ills - probably the foreigners who "used" to be here?

Canadians were the biggest group – 9,872 migrants – followed by 9,583 Dutch people, 9,566 Bangladeshis and 9,483 Italians.....Interesting.. So Canadians are overstayers number 1???

8 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Canadians were the biggest group – 9,872 migrants – followed by 9,583 Dutch people, 9,566 Bangladeshis and 9,483 Italians.....Interesting.. So Canadians are overstayers number 1???

Read the story- it says that Canadians make up the biggest group of foreign residents in Thailand- nothing about them being illegal. But you knew that.

This is more Trumpian nonsense deisgned to take the focus attention away from deeper pressing domestic matters.

Just like Trump blames raping Mexicans and greedy Chinese job stealers, Europeans and others who “don’t pay their way for defence”. None of the proposed initiatives will benefit the enforcer but it certainly diverts attention of the mostly xenophobic support base these mongrels try to satisfy. 

This is more Trumpian nonsense deisgned to take the focus attention away from deeper pressing domestic matters.

Just like Trump blames raping Mexicans and greedy Chinese job stealers, Europeans and others who “don’t pay their way for defence”. None of the proposed initiatives will benefit the enforcer but it certainly diverts attention of the mostly xenophobic support base these mongrels try to satisfy. 

How did trump get in the room again?

49 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Pol Maj Gen Surachate “Big Joke” Hakpal was recently promoted to acting Immigration Bureau chief

Big Joke is only acting it seems. And here was me thinking his appointment was confirmed as Head of Immigration and set in concrete.

Could it be that he is only acting until prior to the election when he will do a switcheroo and suddenly become a high profile political nominee for Team Prayut.

That might explain all the media mania that surrounds him. Just a sneaking suspicion given the sneaky election stunts this government regularly pulls.

Fake news i'm thinking and not even well thought one, giving sily numbers of foreigners that don't make sense and citing 'complaints by citizens'

hogwash i say, typical of the man who felt like saying something (that is if he said it at all) to show that he's still alive and relevant....

8 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Big Joke is only acting it seems. And here was me thinking his appointment was confirmed as Head of Immigration and set in concrete.

Could it be that he is only acting until prior to the election when he will do a switcheroo and suddenly become a high profile political nominee for Team Prayut.

That might explain all the media mania that surrounds him. Just a sneaking suspicion given the sneaky election stunts this government regularly pulls.

I was always under the impression all of these guys in alleged positions of responsibility never took it seriously - they were all just acting.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

the government had received complaints about foreigners involved in illegal activities and businesses in several provinces including Bangkok.

Also complaints about unusually rich Dep PMs.  Will it be sorted within a month for him?

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

So if these 4 major groups make up less than 40,000 which countries could possibly make up the other 1.56 million i think the math is a bit out .

Probably countries like Cambodia, Laos, India, Bangladesh, Myanmar etc

I think it's feasible that there are so many in what is an agricultural/low-wage economy (and neighbouring or close) country like Thailand.

We're probably starting to see what happens in the West also, there are lots of jobs that Thais just don't want to do.

Archived