No visa, lapsed visa means deportation within a month: Prawit

webfact

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, keith101 said:

So if these 4 major groups make up less than 40,000 which countries could possibly make up the other 1.56 million i think the math is a bit out .

It's a newspaper.

Who knows how they have misquoted/misinterpreted/manipulated the definitions and numbers and why they may have done so?

Incompetence, circulation seeking "journalistic licence", or.....malice?

Was it them or the bureau?

Estimates or actual, legals or illegals?

What category of visa, residence or "presence" do they actually represent?

The figures quoted under Expatriates in this article are from 2010, published by Mahidol and Chulalongkorn Universities and give figures of nearly 2.6 million, the largest being Myanmar at just under 1.3 million:

Demographics of Thailand - Wikipedia

Whatever.....it's much easier to spot Whitey, Sanjiv or those from the "Dark Continent".

And it's good practice for the future:

image.png.202936402f75863903a9326feb9e3d6d.png

I have a feeling that, unlike most of the neighboring and regional countries, Thailand will get more and more strict in Immigration matters; not just for those who don't obey the law, but also for, for example, people who want to get more than a couple of or maybe three tourist visas in a row.

Now, why Thailand, unlike most other regional countries, is getting more and more strict, it is hard to know.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

not just the last 4 years, but the past 40 years, and the history of incapable people / highly incapable insincere and corrupt people heading up Thai ministries, government agencies etc. 

Be careful with "etc."; could be considered as a criminal offense. This too, contributes to hold the country back in the 18th century.

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Those who can pay for their flight are normally gone much quicker than this, with about 7-10 days the normal time to process them. It is those without money who stay in IDC for months. Does this mean that Thailand will now be paying for the fares, for those who dont have it, so as to get them on their way quickly? I suspect not, so more meaningless drivel.

A simple solution as done in most western countries.  When Thailand makes an agreement to allow airlines to fly into their country bringing passengers, make the airline agree to fly back inadmissible guest at the airline's expense.  The burden should be on the airline and not the host country, Thailand.

4 minutes ago, jcb2001 said:

A simple solution as done in most western countries.  When Thailand makes an agreement to allow airlines to fly into their country bringing passengers, make the airline agree to fly back inadmissible guest at the airline's expense.  The burden should be on the airline and not the host country, Thailand.

That only works with the refused to enter by immigration, then the airline that brings you in takes you back out but once you have been accepted into the country and spent a couple of years here why should the airline that brought you here be responsible to take you out at their cost

8 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Why wait a month ? No Visa, lapsed visa, fraudulent ones whatever. On the plane back next day irrespective of whether they are back packers, dodgy property agents or even employed by a bona fide business.   Rules for one are , or should, be rules for all.   Those of us who live here and abide by the laws are sick and tired of being generalised in a bad light by these scum who think it is fine, or even fun, to dodge the rules.

Try saying that in America or Europe these days.

9 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Canadians were the biggest group – 9,872 migrants – followed by 9,583 Dutch people, 9,566 Bangladeshis and 9,483 Italians.....Interesting.. So Canadians are overstayers number 1???

9 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Canadians were the biggest group – 9,872 migrants – followed by 9,583 Dutch people, 9,566 Bangladeshis and 9,483 Italians.....Interesting.. So Canadians are overstayers number 1???

How she goin eh? It's understandable that there is a large number of Canadians living in Thailand considering the Canadian climate and cost of living but it's hard to believe that we are the largest foreign group considering the population difference between Canada & almost every other country in the world.  As you say, the article insinuates that we are also the largest group of visa abusers. I'd be very disappointed if that is true. 

Since there are few other serious crimes, like human trafficking, slave labor, gambling, drug running, yaba production, corruption at the highest levels, fraudulent scams, traffic and public safety, and the like, might as well focus on something like overstays. Leaving the foreigners in the country without a visa could result in all kinds of social degradation.

5 hours ago, digger70 said:

I didn't miss that post. All I like to say is that I Prefer  Peace and quiet , I don't want to meet anyone  Including any Farangs .We are happy in our village.

"I don't want to meet anyone  Including any Farangs"

Makes one wonder why you post on here then? 

The numbers are a joke. 10,000 Canadians is the largest group, out of 1.56 million foreigners living here, with 10 million tourists annually.

The largest group of overstayers are on tourist visas. So is Immigration targeting overstaying tourists or others? Retirees? Students? Certainly business owners, for a good shakedown.

The largest group of foreigners in Thailand are Burmese, followed by Laotian, Cambodian and Chinese, with the largest “farang” group being Russian. Hopefully this poorly related story is about the continued government push to shut down Russian businesses and deport their operators and employees.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Thai immigration are complete clowns.....they say this every single year for the last 20 years that I can remember. 

For the immigration officials, there's simple no money in the way of bribes by going after the poor illegals, so instead they act by talking tough against legal westerners. So at the end of the day, they still have the problem with the millions of illegal vietnamese, fillipinos, chinese, indians, africans and so on.

13 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I am amazed that Canadians make up the largest group of foreigners in Thailand. I rarely ever meet another hoser here. I do see a lot of folks from Burma, Cambodia, Laos, China, Europe and Australia though

Uh, I'm from Newfie. Does that count?

9 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

I seriously doubt anyone gets mistaken for a Canadian here ... unless of course he's spotted bashing a baby seal.

The brochure said that beaver was plentiful here. Canadian beaver have big teeth and really hard to hang on to. 

14 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I am amazed that Canadians make up the largest group of foreigners in Thailand. I rarely ever meet another hoser here. I do see a lot of folks from Burma, Cambodia, Laos, China, Europe and Australia though

Agreed. I read recently that Aussies were the largest group. I remember coz, er, well, um some bloody reason......

I just wonder sometimes how Thailand is going to fully integrate into the ASEAN framework.

With it's open protectionism and occupations that are for Thais only mentality.

Will it ever open up to other S.E. Asian countries fully and have equal opportunities for all?

19 hours ago, scorecard said:

OK, but let's imagine that Future Forward wins a landslide and starts to reform many things, and in reality I can assure you that many many Thais really want Thailand to move forward and quickly become a first world country with highly professional high capable sincere and honest people developing and implementing the policies and strategies for their ministries and quickly moving Thailand up the scale and 100% respect for the law and no police corruption. 

Are these folks interested in what's a fun place for your average farang? Not really, not in their priorities, and that shouldn't surprise any of us. 

Not that long back I had a planned long class discussion with my Thai MBA students (English program), and as planned there was a vote to indicate what country would be a good role model for Thailand. About 90% voted for Singapore'; look like, feel like, respect for the law; Singapore, in terms of education, economic development, economic success, respect fort the law, a professional police force and no police corruption etc.

And they are well aware that the major historical roadblock which has held Thailand back is the history of politics in Thailand, not just the last 4 years, but the past 40 years, and the history of incapable people / highly incapable insincere and corrupt people heading up Thai ministries, government agencies etc. 

I'm not saying, and I repeat I'm not saying these people hate or dislike farang. Also, there are many middle class, poor and wealthy Thai folks who have had, in their whole life very little / close to zero contact or interaction with farang.

Is that a negative? No, just reality.

I've lived and worked in Singapore....... I won't be going back.....

1 hour ago, SupermarineS6B said:

I've lived and worked in Singapore....... I won't be going back.....

Up to you.  My students didn't say they wanted to live in Singapore, not at all, that certainly wasn't the subject of the class discussion (which was generated and planned by my students), they were referring to the levels of development, the levels of capability and professionalism found in Singapore.

25 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Up to you.  My students didn't say they wanted to live in Singapore, not at all, that certainly wasn't the subject of the class discussion (which was generated and planned by my students), they were referring to the levels of development, the levels of capability and professionalism found in Singapore.

Everything they discussed is true.  But, does not necessarily make it a better place.  I like the grittiness here.

I think it can all lead to more regulation, and much higher costs for everything and people with attitudes.

They have that in several cities in the US which is why I left there. I am happy here in a 2 1/2 world country thanks.

But, I understand it was just a discussion must have been an interesting class with some smart people.

Archived