Tourist Police and Immigration step up checks on foreigners living in Bangkok

webfact

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I would be interested to know under what legislation they did this? The cops can't just walk into your house or condo without some form of warrant or court order. The natural progression for this of course, will to be every house in the country raided at some point.

While I agree overstayers are breaking the law, there is an awful lot of crime going on out there. It seems the cops are disproportionately interested in foreigners and petty offences, rather than the serious stuff, which would make the country a better and safer place.

Part of the xenophobic backlash to the Temple Bell issue I personally think.

Legislation rarely comes into it when stoking the 'naughty farang' fires.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

one British national and one Moroccan national were arrested for failing to do their 90 day report.

Wow.  No more 2000 THB fine.  Nope.  "Throw the criminals in jail for forgetting to file their address.  The Thai jail system needs to find additional bodies to put in their 'packed to the gills' jails.  What next.  Deportation because you forgot to submit a TM 47? 

Why not simply come out and say foreigners are despised and kick every non-Thai out of the country.

7 minutes ago, connda said:

Why not simply come out and say foreigners are despised and kick every non-Thai out of the country.

then who's going to pay the bills? because I don't see any successful Thai business in my area that doesn't involve a foreigner husband or boyfriend or firm... most of the business are in between mediocre to poorly managed, mostly empty and the few time they get some customers the victim ends up with a food poisoning or bedbugs bites...

Most of the media belongs to people with a strong leftist worldview.
So I will not agree with you ...

Tourists should know that in this country a foreigner is called a criminal for whatever reason.
I guess you're not British. Most of the UK media is right-wing, with the most popular newspapers like the Daily Mail, Sun and Daily Telegraph being far right and decidedly anti-immigrant (you may have heard of Brexit!).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

sick twisted cowards....... soi 19 sathu pradit is not what you would say a paupers paradise either, i popped into the coffee shop their last week, and its a large expat community on both sides of the road, with oyster wine bars etc, many family type expats

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I guess you're not British. Most of the UK media is right-wing, with the most popular newspapers like the Daily Mail, Sun and Daily Telegraph being far right and decidedly anti-immigrant (you may have heard of Brexi

I know for sure that if any European country would treat foreigners in this way,

it would be on the first pages of leading international opinion-forming media.

I know it is not Europe but for many Europeans, Thailand is a place for holidays
so they have the right to know how they are called and considered . Especially

how they will be treated if they happen to have a family here.

exactly marqus

just from reading the few snippets on this raid and the temple raid, they are stopping any one leaving the complexed until they get the all clear. Normally you read about a criminal gang being raided.... but 100's of people mostly family types, it must be torture for everyone one of them

I think it's not fair that immigration fine thai landlords for failing report foreigner renting their property. 

These dirty lazy stupid corrupt immigration just want private Thai citizens to do their job for them. No other country does stuff like that anymore....it's like living in some totalitarian state from the 1950's

Time for some positive news soon if they want to keep us here and supporting the Thai economy . 

How about Elite Visas to all westerners wearing long trousers? 

17 hours ago, webfact said:

He also promised to go after visa agents who falsify documents which are used by foreigners to extend their visas.

IF this happens, and I mean If, then I know of at least 14 Expats in my area that will likely be going away on an urgent trip in the near future.

4 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

I think it's not fair that immigration fine thai landlords for failing report foreigner renting their property. 

These dirty lazy stupid corrupt immigration just want private Thai citizens to do their job for them. No other country does stuff like that anymore....it's like living in some totalitarian state from the 1950's

I agree with one point regarding a totalitarian state, it certainly seems to be heading that way, but it is under virtual martial law with a military Junta at the helm.

On the subject of landlords, I believe ( though correct me if wrong ), that it is more to do with undeclared incomes and taxes.

The picture in the story really stands out. Well, at least their well fed bellies do on all but one in the left side line.

They need to learn how to "suck it in" during photo ops.

12 hours ago, Russell17au said:

Unfortunately darksidedog this is Thailand and this is the Thai Immigration Police which only handles immigration issues and even in Australia Immigration have a 24/7 warrant to enter any premises for the purpose of investigation of illegal immigrants or anyone breaching the immigration laws. As for the other criminal activity that is handled by a different department and has nothing to do with immigration and it is a pity that there is not a couple of other "Big Jokes" to handle the other criminal activities plus the traffic laws

I'm pretty sure that is incorrect.

I know for sure that if any European country would treat foreigners in this way,
it would be on the first pages of leading international opinion-forming media.

I know it is not Europe but for many Europeans, Thailand is a place for holidays
so they have the right to know how they are called and considered . Especially
how they will be treated if they happen to have a family here.
You don't think immigration police carry out raids to pick up illegal foreigners in Europe? Thai and Chinese restaurants in the UK are often raided. I don't remember a lot of media outrage, although Trump's pursuance of illegals in the US does annoy the liberal media there.

54 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You don't think immigration police carry out raids to pick up illegal foreigners in Europe? Thai and Chinese restaurants in the UK are often raided. I don't remember a lot of media outrage, although Trump's pursuance of illegals in the US does annoy the liberal media there.

In my town back in the UK, local Indian & Chinese restaurants were raided and owners fined. One Indian restaurant was fined £10,000 for their 1st offence, then £20,000 for their 2nd, yet their still in business.

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

IF this happens, and I mean If, then I know of at least 14 Expats in my area that will likely be going away on an urgent trip in the near future.

A few around my way as well. I suppose it will depend on the interpretation of 'falsified documents.' 

They're catching the Thai's for failing to report that they are renting to foreigners.

I guess there's big money to be made from this particularly with Airbnb etc?

I'm happy for them to come to our condo a fine a few unscrupulous short-term renters.

Archived