British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

2 minutes ago, Esso49 said:

even easier if like my previous post 22.   But maybe they will no longer accept letters ( due to the dodgy scams) rather want to see actual bank books to witness the history of all credits ?

When you get the letter from the bank, the bank also supplies a certified copy of every page in your bank book. At least they do for the seasoned 800K route.

1 minute ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

They want to see proof that the money comes into Thailand. That is the whole point of these visas; to make money for Thailand.

Just doesn't make sense to me. But, I never understand this place. I refuse to bring money into this country. Big Joke is going to have a field day after the first of next year. haha

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I wonder why the Brit embassy say they are unable to verify your income?, too much like hard work, not enough staff etc. I do the income letter every year using the combo method for retirement extensions. I know many others who keep little funds here and use the letter as proof for pensions banked in UK. 

Closing another loophole to keep the abusers of the system out of the country.

It amused me that each year when I used the pension letter route, that the embassy did not check on the documents being shown for income.

Any unscrupulous person could create an 'official' looking document from a reputable company and pass it off as an income letter,

Now I use funds in the bank for my marriage extension of stay.

I am guessing they really need to see funds transferred to Thailand from outside if a pension, as the code will show in the passbook different from funds deposited inside Thailand.

The Embassy are saying this

The British Embassy Bangkok is stopping the certification of income letters because it is unable to fulfil the Thai authorities’ requirements to verify the income of British Nationals.

So what exactly do the Thais want regarding income letters ?

Maybe a notarised pension statement from a lawyer in the UK, then translate to Thai and get certified at the MFA ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

My Canadian embassy told me they too will stop, I went for my letter of income lastweek and the woman at my Canadian embssy  BKK ,(who has been their for years) told me this was coming ,I asked why ,she replied ''too much paper work''.2 days latter when I went to immigration in Pattaya(with my letter of income) to renew my visa, my wife was approached by an immigration officer ''next year when your husband needs his retirement visa ,come and see me '' and he quoted her a price.. hmmmm

I'm a little unsure which income you are talking about. Is it a CPP/OAS income proof? Or investment income proof? Or company pension proof.

I have a company pension. The company sends me a letter, which the embassy certifies after I swear the usual oath. They then use a form letter with embassy seal. I've never used the CPP/OAS proof yet, so it may have a different requirement, such that the embassy has to search your federal pension records.

Please explain your situation. Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

If you are not transferring money from the UK to live,  then how do the idiots think that you are financing yourself.  Income doesn't need to be checked by the Embassy. beyond ensuring that the supporting docs are genuine.  Its not the job of the Embassy to do the work of the Thai Authorities for them, its to support their Citizens.  

perhaps they may think you are getting income thro working in Thailand illegally ?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

When you get the letter from the bank, the bank also supplies a certified copy of every page in your bank book. At least they do for the seasoned 800K route.

so what is the point of the letter then if they also have the real bank book pages as proof I wonder ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

I'm no fan of the British Embassy, but, just how do you expect them to check your income? At the very least, it would be time consuming and possibly expensive.

The British Embassies task has never been primarily to look after it's citizens abroad. It's primary mission, apart from needed diplomacy is to rustle up business for British companies.

I dont expect them to check, its really got nothing to do with them them, or at least, it should not be.  Their job is to do the minimum required by the Thais  and the maximum for their own citizens, not the other way around.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I dont expect them to check, its really got nothing to do with them them, or at least, it should not be.  Their job is to do the minimum required by the Thais  and the maximum for their own citizens, not the other way around.  

And now they have been instructed by the Thais to obtain proof of income, so what do you expect them to do?

1 minute ago, Esso49 said:

I see that but so are many of the so called visa agents running scams , and that is not going to stop, rather than increase their business

I disagree. I think you will see these agents gradually disappearing.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Be interesting to see how this gets interpreted and implemented by the numerous offices around the Kingdom. As we all know, rarely any consistency.

I would suggest to talk to your local office for what they want.????

done that already in post 22.  no one corroborated it yet though