British Embassy Bangkok to Stop Certification of Income Letters

3 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Maybe still a solution. :cool:

Yes the rule is "maximum 30 days before" in Jomtien, but several reports of people saying that if you can show - by example - a plane reservation "40 days before", then you may be able to make your extension up to "45 days before".  :smile:

Worth trying IMHO, even if you intend to cancel your fly reservation immediately after you get your extension :wink:

Worth considering but hopefully not necessary if the new Police Order is what we are hoing it will be.

4 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Alternatively you could try demanding that they issue you with a further letter which has been properly dated in accordance with your instructions, notwithstanding their cut-off point. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say!

I shall email Stacey and see what response I get.

8 minutes ago, doctormann said:

I shall email Stacey and see what response I get.

But if you didn't get anywhere with her, I personally think that you would be fully justified in lodging a formal complaint to the FCO in accordance with the procedure set out at:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/foreign-commonwealth-office/about/complaints-procedure

Who knows, that might actually result in an acceptable letter being forthcoming some time over the next 6 months!

23 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But if you didn't get anywhere with her, I personally think that you would be fully justified in lodging a formal complaint to the FCO in accordance with the procedure set out at:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/foreign-commonwealth-office/about/complaints-procedure

Who knows, that might actually result in an acceptable letter being forthcoming some time over the next 6 months!

I just attempted to email Stacey at the BE.  I received an automated reply that said that the mail box that I used [email protected] is no longer monitored and recommended that I use the enquiry form on their website https://www.contact-embassy.service.gov.uk/.  This is limited to 1200 characters so is not a lot of use!.  Nothing is easy with the BE!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, doctormann said:

I've just wasted 52 GBP!

Getting a 'last minute' income letter from the BE was one of my possible options for retirement extension renewal next June.  Because of the way that the dates fall, I needed the issue date of the letter to be 22 December, or later.  I explained this in a covering letter that I submitted, by email, on 12 December, the last allowed submission date, stating that otherwise the letter would be of no use to me.

The letter arrived today, with an issue date 20 December, so it seems as though my request has been ignored and I now have a useless piece of paper!  Jomptien Immigration will not allow applications earlier than 30 days so the letter will fail to meet their requirements by two days only!

Honestly, how hard can it be for the BE to show a little flexibility on this?  They could issue letters dated up to 31 December if they so wished!

Ah well, hopefully the issue now becomes moot as, if we take as read the information that the US Consul General disseminated in his interview with Pattaya FM, the existing methods for renewal of permission to stay will not change all that much.  We shall see, once the new Police Order is published, in January.

I am not happy with the BE though - time to give up on them I think.

They made an error on my letter last year. They amended it for me no problem. E-mail Stacey and ask her nicely could she please change it as your request previously.

11 hours ago, doctormann said:

Jomptien Immigration will not allow applications earlier than 30 days so the letter will fail to meet their requirements by two days only!

I thoought that I read that they were allowing you to renew 45 days early>

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

They made an error on my letter last year. They amended it for me no problem. E-mail Stacey and ask her nicely could she please change it as your request previously.

Done but not expecting any response until Monday at the earliest.

4 hours ago, wayned said:

I thoought that I read that they were allowing you to renew 45 days early>

Yes, I'd heard that too but I did go into the office and ask but was told 30 days max.  I think that 45 days may be available in 'exceptional circumstances' such as a family death requiring you to be out of the Country when your extension is due.

17 hours ago, doctormann said:

Jomptien Immigration will not allow applications earlier than 30 days so the letter will fail to meet their requirements by two days only!

I believe they will allow early renewal if you can show some proof, of say a trip out of the country within that 1 month renewal period. Mind you, if there is no-re-entry permit there they may call your bluff!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, doctormann said:

I just attempted to email Stacey at the BE.  I received an automated reply that said that the mail box that I used [email protected] is no longer monitored and recommended that I use the enquiry form on their website https://www.contact-embassy.service.gov.uk/.  This is limited to 1200 characters so is not a lot of use!.  Nothing is easy with the BE!!

That merits a formal complaint to the FCO in its own right, I think.

• Sad 1

On 12/22/2018 at 11:26 PM, DPKANKAN said:

"Flexibility" in bureaucracy is not a word that is in their lexicon. ALL bureaucracies are known for EXACTLY this type of behaviour.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's the update on my UK Embassy Letter.  It's taken a while as Xmas and NY have got in the way but I now have a successful outcome.

I managed to find an email address for Stacey that actually worked so I made a formal complaint to her, as the issuing signatory, about my instructions about the issue date not being followed.  I subsequently received an apology and notification that the letter would be re-issued.  I received it today and the issue date is 31/12/18.  That is excellent and should do the trick as I can apply for my retirement extension on 22 June or thereabouts. 

Just have to hope now that Jomptien Immigration are still accepting letters when the time comes.  Should be OK, I think, but I shall have 'Plan B' waiting in the wings as I can easily show a record of monthly transfers going back for at least 12 months and even for 14 years if TMB can be bothered to dig out the old records.

The email address that worked is [email protected]

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, luckyluke said:

Having a monthly income of at least 40/65000 is neither an issue.

Apparently we will soon know the new directives of T.I.

There may be some "strugle" in the beginning to come into line.

However those with the genuine requested amounts have nothing to really fear.

Being trustworthy  is not only an attribute for those possessing 400/800000 on a Thai bankbook or in their home country.

What is your understanding of this?  The letters are good for 6 months and it only affects four countries so why will Ti make any changes now or in the future?

3 hours ago, wayned said:

What is your understanding of this?  The letters are good for 6 months and it only affects four countries so why will Ti make any changes now or in the future?

Letters are unobtainable for 4 nationals as of now! So if they did not go get one early, they do not have the means to pursue an extension of stay. These 4 countries, well 3 of them, make up a large proportion of the retired Expats living in Thailand, so unless changes to the requirements are made, they are likely forced to leave or pursue alternatives they are unhappy with. It appears TI recognize this as a problem and are acting accordingly. 

• Like 1