"Easy Ride" for pensioners in Thailand now over, says Pattaya Radio

webfact

7 minutes ago, simple1 said:

The link provided by UK Embassy to Thai Immigration with their announcement (use Google translate)

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

AFAICT, there's nothing new or different listed on that Immigration webpage content. It's just listing the same requirements, including the 65K baht monthly income method. Which doesn't help the Brits any...

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Utter pile of rot. Yesterday I bumped into a visa agency guy I have known for years. He told me last week things looked tough. Yesterday, everything was back to normal. Has anyone here ever known a crackdown on anything to last more than a week?

I am sure there will be fun and games, and probably payments to deal with the proof of finances issue, but nothing of substance is likely to change.

I am reminded of the oldest of addages.

Money talks.  BS walks.  :cheesy:

31 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As far as CORRUPTION. As far as VISA AGENTS and IMMIGRATION OFFICERS engaging in corruption allowing applications that don't even begin to comply with the rules get accepted in exchange for cash payments, the possibility that there might someday be a CRACKDOWN has always been there. Is that crackdown going to happen soon? Maybe. Maybe not.

I listened to this news item this morning on Fabulous 103FM. The OP isn't entirely accurate.

It stated that several visa agents (presumably those known to seed accounts) have already been turned away from Jomtien Immigration and told not to return.

It appears that the crackdown has already started.

9 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Never had Immigration in either Jomtien or Phitsanulok 'shit' on my application. If you have the correct amount of money, and the correct documentation....no problems. This new rule is has been made because you could tell the Brit Consulate anything you wanted about your gross UK income, and they would issue the signed letter, no questions asked. Now the Thai lot have got wise to this scam and are closing the loophole.

But the Brit. Embassy always required PROOF of income to accompany the application for the proof of income letter!  And of course, they charged for the service.

Would they really let down all the Brits. using the proof of income route, by refusing to issue the required certification in future??!

Again , you can never know if it will happen or not.

Big Joke said there was no rape on the island, a few weeks later he admit he could be wrong. So a few weeks later he will admit it will only affect criminals , bad guys out etc , and not all of us. 

He just try to stay popular so he can get that P.M job when it becomes available.  Just media circus , he love all the attention. 

1 minute ago, balo said:

Again , you can never know if it will happen or not.

Big Joke said there was no rape on the island, a few weeks later he admit he could be wrong. So a few weeks later he will admit it will only affect criminals , bad guys out etc , and not all of us. 

He just try to stay popular so he can get that P.M job when it becomes available.  Just media circus , he love all the attention. 

Speaking of big jokes, when I first heard this news about the British embassy, I checked the calendar to make sure it wasn't really April 1. 

12 minutes ago, poanoi said:

no, the only alternative now for brits is 800k in thai bank account, or agent

But Thai Immigration require proof of income certification from the embassy.

So the only 'choice' is either 800k in bank, or find an agent that knows how to turn an entirely legitimate visa extension (via proof of income) - into a fraudulent act via 'money in bank'?!

There are a few things that have been missed here.

1.  If a Brit walked in and signed an oath saying that he was a millionaire they would stamp it.

2.  Last year when I renewed my retirement extension as with every year the Canadian Embassy has required proof that I was making the money I stated.  That is the first difference.

3.  Last year Thai immigration also asked me for supporting docs to the letter.

4.  There has always been and will always be those around us that want to abuse the system that is why it is best to stay up and up on it.

5 and this is the biggest point BIG JOKE IS RUNNING things and he is not a BIG JOKE.  Look at his previous actions if he says he is going to start closing visa mills I would not bet against him or his staff.

The bottom line is the Brit Embassy staff got lazy.  Brits took advantage of it.  They have been weighed measured and found wanting in their procedures.  They have 2 choices clean up their act or just stop signing.  Personally, if I was a Brit (thank god I am no longer one or part of a colony)  I would be pissed at those that screwed it up and the embassy.

OHH CANADA WE ARE PROUD OF THEE.  

25 minutes ago, ozziedave007 said:

Spoke to Australian Embassy couple of days ago....nothing has changed for us....

There supposedly was a similar comment from some staff at the Canadian Embassy as well.

However, the thing you have to be careful about in assessing those kinds of Embassy staff comments is most of the "staff" we're likely to hear from are the mushroom types, who either wouldn't know or wouldn't admit to any change until/unless it had already been officially announced by their Embassy.

So, while I take some comfort in those kinds of ad hoc Embassy staff comments now, I'll be more interested to see if there are or aren't any future, similar formal announcements made by other embassies halting issuance of income letters, similar to what the Brits have done.

Glad I spend less time here.  The place has lacked much in the way of good news for a while.  Then again, what work that can be carried out with and without a permit has eased up a little, or has it.  You just never know in Thailand.  It is okay for short time.      

Best wishes for those who just want to live in peace.  Proof of income is usually easily verified threw bank statements.  If not good enough, Cambodia and Vietnam are still easier than Thailand. 

Tomorrow  head  of  immigration will be  telling us its a misunderstanding and we are welcome here
I actually agree. The ozzies did the same, scared the hell out of some and then said oops sorry we made a mistake

If I was brit I would start making plans for the future but be ready for a backflip on this

6 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

1.  If a Brit walked in and signed an oath saying that he was a millionaire they would stamp it.

I think that you are confusing Brits with Americans.

The British Embassy does not issue these letters in person. Postal applications only. No oath to swear but sufficient documentation to prove your claimed income.

16 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Would they really let down all the Brits. using the proof of income route, by refusing to issue the required certification in future??!

Well the answer to that is clearly yes. An embassy is not obliged to provide such a service so there is no 'letting down'; disappointment certainly.

54 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thai immigration has ALWAYS required embassy income letters for income based applications. Thai immigration has made no announcement that they will change that as yet. Let's deal with FACTS, rather than assumptions and wishes, shall we?

If Immigration still require an Embassy letter, (but until they make an announcement it still remains speculation) why then doesnt the embassy insist on the bank statements showing the proof of deposit of the 40/65,000 per month or a 12 mth total of 800,000+ showing an average over the year, surely then they could verify the income.

Just now, bluesea said:

Like everything else in Thailand, it will blow over!! sensationalised by the media.

This isn't really "in Thailand". British Embassy in Thailand, no doubt acting on Foreign Office advice from the UK.

36 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

AFAICT, there's nothing new or different listed on that Immigration webpage content. It's just listing the same requirements, including the 65K baht monthly income method. Which doesn't help the Brits any...

I know. Just comes across as re-confirming the requirements, excluding Embassy letter. Given the time lag until alleged enforcement day, presume there will be further clarification. Just maybe the new guy is actually going to crackdown on Immi corruption which will cause mayhem for some. 

Just now, SheungWan said:

Well the answer to that is clearly yes. An embassy is not obliged to provide such a service so there is no 'letting down'; disappointment certainly.

Actually it is obliged. Check the FO website regarding notary services.

14 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

But the Brit. Embassy always required PROOF of income to accompany the application for the proof of income letter!  And of course, they charged for the service.

That's not quite correct. The Embassy issued letters *certifying* that they had seen evidence of income as presented, to the tune of... It was never proof, and they never claimed it as such - even if you felt the documents you supplied constituted proof.

What appears to have happened, according to UK.gov, is that the Thai authorities had asked the embassy to *verify*, individually, that that income was, in fact, real. The issue being - unstated - that remittances to Thailand don't reflect the claims of income being made. The embassy has responded by saying that it cannot verify the information - as it has no resources to do so, requiring as it would, confirmations from potentially thousands of financial institutions around the globe, and has elected to stop issuing the letters instead. This leaves the seasoned deposit route as the only viable option.

Something similar happened a few years back to Australians in the north, because their Embassy letters were in effect just a witnessed self-certification. As far as I am aware, there was no follow through on that, when it was suggested that perhaps a remittance basis only would be accepted going forward.

The British Embassy has changed how it supports British Citizens - the Australian Embassy did not. I am not sure that they had a lot of choice in the matter, but it seems they didn't do an awful lot to help.

Just now, Expattaff1308 said:

If Immigration still require an Embassy letter, (but until they make an announcement it still remains speculation) why then doesnt the embassy insist on the bank statements showing the proof of deposit of the 40/65,000 per month or a 12 mth total of 800,000+ showing an average over the year, surely then they could verify the income.

Because they have reviewed the situation and decided to go for a clean break and not be involved in the income verification process with any formulas.

7 hours ago, bluesea said:

Like everything else in Thailand, it will blow over!! sensationalised by the media.

I admire your optimism....the use of "agents" providing spurious bank accounts to obtain long term visas here has been on the agenda for some time  :thumbsup:

There seems to be some confusion about what the various Embassies were/are actually doing, the British Embassy was fundamentally different to the US Embassy for e.g. The latter offered a legal affidavit declaration service were applicants swore the whole truth and nothing but the truth about their declared earnings under Law

The British Embassy was somewhat different in that "they" affirmed the claimed earnings of the applicant.

What I see now happening at Thai Immigration (regardless of what nationality you are) is further proof of your income submitted along with your Extension application, some people have reported this happening already having to provide bank statements etc to support their claims of income, perhaps going forward this will be a requirement from everyone regardless of embassy letters/affidavits, which ultimately makes the latter pointless if you have to provide proof of income.

I personally don't have an issue with this as I have the cash in bank and can also show yearly deposits in my Thai bank from my home country, it seems it is now up to Immigration to specify what is acceptable proof of income going forward

Some people may not be able to provide this proof   

Archived